The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Default NMI info

Hi,

I have just found on eof these NMI N400D guitar in a pawn shop in Cape Town South Africa.
I would realy like ot find out if it is one of the 3 missing guitars.

Regards,

Neil
Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Default Nashville Musical Instrument Co guitar

Hi, I realize I am way behind on this thread, but was very interested in it, as I have recently found an acoustic guitar at a flea market - It is a Nashville Musical Instrument Co guitar, with the head stock logo and shape similar to a Martin.

There is no label, the numbers stamped on the inside are "7706237", and there is a "Made in Japan" sticker on the back of the head stock that someone tried to remove, but is still readable. It's in excellent condition, and seems to be all solid wood.

I'm brand new to this thread, (the first I've ever joined), so don't know my way around.

Just curious, and interested in any information / feedback anyone has - thanks, Pete
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM

Default The missing 3rd NMI model N400D?

Hi all. This is also my first time to the forum since I too ran across it while searching for info on my NMI guitar. I was particularly interested in what tstephens wrote (post #9) since I also have a model N400D. I'm wondering if the 3rd one he mentioned is mine, with the other 2 being his and another post where 1 was found in South Africa? Interesting!!

My guitar does not have "made in Japan" anywhere I can find and the number code inside is 0705008 so it's not the same format as the date code mentioned in other posts but I'm guessing it was made in May 1977 from the numbers. The logo at the top of the neck is in a "Martin" style and completely spelled out, not just the initials NMI. It has the full NMI label inside. I bought it at a pawn ship in middle TN in the early 80's and have played it periodically since then. It's has a few "love" dents but still looks good and sounds great.

I found it particularly interesting that tstephens had received offers of $10,000 for his model N400D. I'm not sure I'm ready to sell mine but could be very tempted at those prices! I would love to hear more from others regarding their NMI guitars so I hope the forum keeps getting postings for it. Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 PM

Default 1977 n300d

I am new to forum as well. I was trying to do some reserch on my Nashville Musical Instrument Co N300D. I have had this Guitar for 21yrs. Traded an elcheapo electric with a Gorilla amp for it in High School. Always thought it was an elcheapo Martin ripoff but it sounded good so I kept it. Just recently pulled it out of the closet and decided to start playing again and thought why not research it a bit. Very interesting to hear about the three remaining N400D's mentioned above and the whole lawsuit search and destroy story. I have never heard of anything like that. My Guitar N300D was buit July 26 1977 and has the Martin style logo on it. Maybe after 21yrs I will actually take the time to play some now that I recently got laid off! Ha Ha. Does any one know if the N300D's are of any siginificance?? Thanks. Good luck with the N400D Guitarlady!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Default 1977 n300d

By the way I also cant find made in Japan any where on this thing. I found the serial # 7707026 on the inside of the neck and in the inside there is a paper saying Nashville Musical Instrument co. Post office box 242 Nashville Tennessee 37202 and modle no. stamped N300D. to the right of the N300D there is a spot where some one had marked somethig out with what looks like a black sharpie (majik marker). Looks like some one was trying to cover something up. Quite odd. Even if this Guitar isn't worth much it still plays good and is a fun mystery! Any help would be great. I can post pics. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Default My Nashville Musical Instrument Co. N400D

Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to start off by saying I am absolutely captivated by this story of the NMI guitars! I have a 1977 model N400D that has the headstock decal written in script font which says, "Nashville Musical Instrument Co." It is setup just like a D-28 with a spruce top and indian rosewood back and sides. When I get the opportunity to take pictures, I will post them here just to see if any of you have the same style of this model.
Just an FYI, I called Gruhn Guitars yesterday and talked to Walter about these guitars. He said all the basic info that we all know and added "the owner of the shops name escapes me". According to what he gave me, they roughly worth $400-$600, if they play/sound good. BUT I did not mention what model I had just that it was a NMI.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:53 AM

These guitars show up for sale at George Gruhn's website all the time. It can't hurt to e-mail him gruhn@gruhn.com and ask for his opinion of them. George is an honest broker and he'll be straight with you.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 AM

Default My Nashville Musicial Instrument Co. N400D Revised!

Hey I just wanted to revise something on my former statement. The writing on the headstock logo is NOT in script! It is just in fancy block lettering. Here is some pictures of my N400D.

FYI
The pick guard was put on 3 years ago by Luthier Johnny Rushing in east Tn.

http://s1052.photobucket.com/albums/s445/celtichymnal/
2016 Emerald Guitars Synergy Harp Guitar (Amber)

Psalm 33:3~Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Default "Nashville" guitar D30N12

Hey Guys,

My acquaintance gave me a 12-string that says "Nashville" on the headstock and the model number D30N12 and "Made in Japan" on the sticker inside. Gruhn Guitar guy said it is a NMI instrument, but the headstock is different from the ones I've seen here.

It is getting new strings and a re-conditioning, but I will post photos in a couple of weeks. I welcome any thoughts ...
Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Default mod. #w-601

i have one of these guitars. got it free from an inlaw in st. petersburg fl. in 1980. the headstock is shaped like a martin and has a gold decal NMI. multi ply binding on front, black on the outside, black binding on the back, black pickguard. two piece book matched back with black line in the middle. book matched spruce top with natural finish. i think the dreadnought body is rosewood. dot markers on rosewood fretboard. the paper lable says made in korea. model number W-601. pencel mark on label #5. plays good sounds good. just wanted to add to this data base. thanks, bob
Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM

Default NMI Sticky???

MODS.....You should turn this thread into a sticky NMI thread.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Default NMI acoustic guitar model W620

Hello,
I have a NMI acoustic guitar model W620, I have looked all over it and in it trying to find out when it was made, with no luck, I bought it in the late 70's or early 80's any help would be great, it is a great guitar, I jam with two friends that have D28 Martains, they can't beleive how the NMI out sounds them.
garrettstf
Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsilov58 View Post
I have a NMI W610 in excelant condition.
Hi dwighta,
I have a NMI model W620 with 1006 stamped on it, what does the 1006 mean, I jam with two friends that have D28 Martains, they can't get over how much better mine sounds than their's.
garrettstf
Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM

I do not think the story is true about the $10,000 offer or the story of the missing two guitars. I owe one dating back to 1977 N400D serial # 19770704, so it was made on July 4, 1977. I am the original owner. I called Gruhn, the guy said maybe $ 500 and if I wanted to know more take pictures and send $50 for an appraisal. BTW, It is in excellent condition not in the original case but in a case I had since 1975. I sounds better than any Martin or any other great brands over the past 35 years I have ever played. In 1977 I had the opportunity to purchase a custom made guitar from a guy in Coconut Grove FLA they were 1500-3000 back then the owner of the store boasted that he sold a couple to Stephen Stills and Carlos Santana. My Dad was insisting I get one, but I could not spend that kind of money, so this NMI N400D was the only other guitar in the shop besides his. He said he liked the sound and would only keep this one in his shop. Can't remember how much it cost, but it was not anywhere near the others, a couple of hundred maybe. What peeked my interest is when an old friend from childhood came over and he is a monster player looked at the wood and quality and said that this is made out of quality wood. It is tuned in open Csus4 so he could not play it, so I played a song and he said you got something good here. So I searched the internet and wound up here. Will keep you posted on the mystery. If it turns out to worth $ 10,000 you will see it for sale not like that storyteller.

Last edited by jjdreamz; 06-13-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 PM

I also have one that just says Nashville in an arched shape across the top. The model # is N-50D and it was made in 1976, in Japan, by a manufacturer called Tahara.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion