The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
I know everyone has different opinions on strings, but this is my personal experience so far with my 717.

I purchased mine used (1.5 months old) from someone who needed the money. It had 80/20 nanoweb 11s on it, which I have NEVER liked the 80/20 nanos. I have always played Elixir polywebs and liked them, but have leaned more towards the PB Nanos over the last year or so. When I first strummed my 717, it blew my mind with the 80/20 Nanos on it what were a lighter gauge, really just didn't like anything about them, but the 717 blew away my 814ce and sounded awesome! After reading several opinions regarding the Santa Cruz strings, I decided to get a set of the Med Tension strings and try them out. To me, they sounded great strummed, they were comfortable to play, but were lacking when fingerpicking, almost dead at first and I was not impressed and didn't feel there was a major improvement. Once I played them for a week or so, they started growing on me. IDK if it was the guitar opening up or the strings just getting played in a bit, but they sound great now. I do plan to install some Elixir PB Nanos when I change the strings again for comparison, but this was my take on the Santa Cruz strings. I really like them now, but they were disappointing to me at first. I've played Elixirs for a long time, but I'm open to other strings that have a good lifespan and better tone. I just wasn't blown away with the SC strings. I'll have a definite opinion once I play the PB Nanos, this is just my experience/opinion to date. I'm not trying to knock the SCs, because I have grown to like them, but just didn't know about them at first before they were played in a bit and didn't notice anything spectacular about them. I might eventually try some Polys on it, depending how the PBs sound.

I do understand everyone likes different sounds/tones....just sharing my personal experience to date with mine. Regarding my 717 though, I freakin' love this guitar and can't imagine myself ever selling it. I just love it!

I love both of GPs, they are both beautiful guitars!
I feel the same way about my 717. It is the guitar that I will make my forever guitar I feel. It's everything I have ever wanted in an acoustic guitar. The 517 is icing on the cake. It will be the backup, and more than likely will get an Anthem SL in the future and will become my gigging guitar for the few times I need to amplify here and there.

The thing about this particular 517 is that it feels and sounds like air. It's really cool to play. Very resonant and airy, but full and loud. I like it a lot. It fills a different hole compared to the 717. I think of my 717 as a D-28. It's the guitar you'd want to use for rhythm in a bluegrass setting because it is big and bold. The 517 is brighter, and more pristine. I would liken it to a D-18 and it might be the guitar I'd pick for lead or fingerstyle.
Martin Dread Jr
Seagull S6 Spruce
Fender '61 Thin Skin Strat
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
PRS SC245

They say that tone is in the fingers....I say it is in your head.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

After owning the 517 for a few weeks, I have a new assessment I'd like to share.

This is a very mid-range emphasized guitar, and it is probably the most responsive guitar I've ever played. It's light as a feather, and is noticeably lighter than the 717. It sounds light too, which is interesting because the entire body resonates and there is a strong violent vibration on the back of the guitar when you hit low notes.

Sound wise, it sounds old. It has an airy, almost all wood sound. I don't hear the string, I just hear fat wood tones. Love that about this guitar. The bass has definitely filled in, but this guitar isn't going to win any awards for low end, but I'm ok with that. It has the folksy vibe of a J-45, but the strength of a D-18. Between them all, I'd take this particular 517 every time. The kicker is that I think there is something special about this particular 517. I've played several 517s, and even owned one before this one and none of them knocked me off of my feet like this one.

Having said all of that, and given that I love my Grand Pacifics to death, I am a little curious as to what I would think about a Martin after playing just these two Taylors for a couple months now. I wonder if I'd be blown away by the low end, or perhaps I'd be disappointed? Who knows, but all I can say is that I've found my two guitars...
Martin Dread Jr
Seagull S6 Spruce
PRS SC245

Old 08-29-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post

Having said all of that, and given that I love my Grand Pacifics to death, I am a little curious as to what I would think about a Martin after playing just these two Taylors for a couple months now. I wonder if I'd be blown away by the low end, or perhaps I'd be disappointed? Who knows, but all I can say is that I've found my two guitars...
Why not just play and enjoy whatever each guitar you play brings to the table without comparing each of them?
Gibson SJ-200; SJ-200 12-String; SJ-200 Parlor (rosewood); J-45 Walnut Custom
Cole Clark Angel 2 Australian Redwood/Blackwood

Kala Ukulele Cedar/Koa
Old 08-29-2019, 08:11 AM

I was on vacation when you got your 517 back and I hadn't seen your post, but just read through it now. Many congrats - and I think the black tuners are EXACTLY what this guitar needs in terms of looks!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Hi Shades,

It has been fun to share the journey with you and these Grand Pacifics. So happy that you have found two wonderful guitars that really speak to you musically and otherwise. Congrats!

Regular sized dreads are too big for me but I will probably try the GPs at some point since I appreciate experiencing many of the guitars that are available these days.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-29-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
After owning the 517 for a few weeks, I have a new assessment I'd like to share.

This is a very mid-range emphasized guitar, and it is probably the most responsive guitar I've ever played. It's light as a feather, and is noticeably lighter than the 717. It sounds light too, which is interesting because the entire body resonates and there is a strong violent vibration on the back of the guitar when you hit low notes.

Sound wise, it sounds old. It has an airy, almost all wood sound. I don't hear the string, I just hear fat wood tones. Love that about this guitar. The bass has definitely filled in, but this guitar isn't going to win any awards for low end, but I'm ok with that. It has the folksy vibe of a J-45, but the strength of a D-18. Between them all, I'd take this particular 517 every time. The kicker is that I think there is something special about this particular 517. I've played several 517s, and even owned one before this one and none of them knocked me off of my feet like this one.

Excellent post Jonathan. I really enjoyed the way you described the qualities the 517 is giving you.

I continue to find that when I compare several guitars of the same model, same wood, there are always unique differences. But I also hear the 'family voice' along with any unique sonic distinctions. I compared 5 Martin D-18's in the same acoustic shop one day. All were the same era, so they had the same bracing, woods etc. Each one of them had their own unique personality. You seem to have found a 517 that is exceptional, so bravo my friend! Embrace and enjoy!

That said, when I pay close attention to the voicing of Martin D-18's (and other Martin dreads) with forward shifted scalloped bracing, the more I am aware of the tonal/sonic signature that coincides with the attributes of that model. Yes, there is usually a nice bass/low end although not every D-18 is a bass boomer. I have two that are very balanced and neither is dominant on the low E string per se.

The other thing I hear as a characteristic is a rather piano like shimmer that is a little brighter and less 'woody/organic' than guitars with rear shifted bracing. Or other guitars known to have faster decay like J-45's.

The 517 is remarkable in that it is a slope shoulder dread size body, but has V class bracing. So it offers an organic woody tone, along with great sustain of the V Class bracing. Add to that,.... you got a really good one. Who knows why it is different from the former 517 you had other than the Wood is different. But I am thrilled you love it.

The only way to answer your question is for YOU to play other D-18's and answer for yourself. Because like it or not, there are a few out there that are 'special' and others that are good guitars and typical of the model, but not necessarily 'stand-outs.' (IMO)
Martin D-18 (2015)
Former: Martin D-41 (2018 Reimagined)
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

If these two guitars are that much better than the originals then it was probably worth every ounce of aggravation it took to get you to this point.

I think this is a great direction that Taylor has gone into and think the GP's will reinvigorate their brand. The aesthetics are wonderful and would completely eliminate any perceived negatives that one might have regarding slope shoulder dreads. The V-class bracing is well suited to these guitars.

Is it possible to identify how much the bone saddle contributed to the sound and how much, as it seems that you changed the saddle and strings simultaneously? Santa Cruz strings will definitely be more articulate. I'm wondering what you would have experienced with bone and Elixirs or SC/micarta?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT Understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom. Compassion cannot supplant wisdom. Wisdom cannot occur without understanding. FACTS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS. Feelings alone often make for terrible decisions TIME DEFINES ALL THINGS.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I like those black tuners. I may get some for my Taylor 317...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5540.jpg (24.0 KB, 212 views)
Old 08-29-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:

I owned nothing but Taylors for a long time. Dreads, GA and GS models. Multiples of all 3 body styles with different top/back and sides combos. I played multiple GP models at NAMM and while I liked them a lot and they don't sound like any other Taylor model I've played, NO Taylor I've ever played is in the same league as my D-41. This guitar blows my mind every time I play it. If you're happy with your GP models, don't worry about trying different brands. I went down that road and the only Taylor I have left is my GS Mini Koa. Keep those GPs and play the strings off of them.

2014 Bourgeois ďBanjo KillerĒ Adi/Hog SS Dread #6681
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2006 Charles J. Horner Fiddle
Old 08-29-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
My second 717 turned out to be the best guitar I've ever played.
Jesus.

I donít know what to make of this statement.

Certainly happy for you! Congrats.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 PM
SalFromChatham

Iím happy you like your Taylors. I love the shading and black tuners by the way. Nice touch.

Anyways, I donít know how long you have been playing and swapping. I just want to share that Iíve done my share of tone chasing and then some. Enjoy the ride, but save some money by knowing this. Sometimes best is the enemy of good.

Iíve gone from way too many acoustics to four, and make it three after one more sells in the classifieds. It feels pretty good, even though I sold guitars I never thought Iíd sell.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 PM

Yes, you don't need to marry the thing, just play it and enjoy it.

I am really enjoying my 717e, both acoustically and electrically. While some others here have complained of various issues with theirs, mine is just plain faultless. I'm sure some of you could find a flaw. The 717e has joined a small group of my guitars that sound great plugged direct to my Boss VE8, no extra gadgets, just direct. Cool!

I was going to lose a few guitars but we seem to be going through a bit of a lull/recession? and the guitars on the very dangerous wall I visit occasionally seem to be staying around a long while. I was going to consign 2 guitars and I was told this was the maximum amount they take...except someone consigned his whole collection of 10, including the same guitars as I was going to consign. Pfft. So worse, far worse than selling or trading, they have gone in ...gulp... the closet.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I owned nothing but Taylors for a long time. Dreads, GA and GS models. Multiples of all 3 body styles with different top/back and sides combos. I played multiple GP models at NAMM and while I liked them a lot and they don't sound like any other Taylor model I've played, NO Taylor I've ever played is in the same league as my D-41. This guitar blows my mind every time I play it. If you're happy with your GP models, don't worry about trying different brands. I went down that road and the only Taylor I have left is my GS Mini Koa. Keep those GPs and play the strings off of them.
My recent Nashville trip certainly expanded my horizons from Taylor. As a newer player in looking at what I could afford a couple years ago, Taylor seemed to have the most affordable options for an all-solid wood instrument built in the USA. They had just started the ebony project and hearing about improving sustainability sealed the deal that this is the company I wanted to deal with. I bought/sold several Taylors and each time got something closer and closer to my ideal. During my trip to Gruhns while perusing other Taylors (including an excellent 514ce v-class) one of the guys told me that Martins advertised price and Taylors afford very different street prices, with larger discounts available with Martin. At that point I spent some time with a DSS-17, and I loved it with light fingerstyle. It did achieve a hotter sound with a pick, but that isnít what I typically play. I also played a D18 and D35 and loved both of them also. But the DSS-17 stuck in my mind and I went back and sidelined it with the stock 317e they had there. It was close but I preferred the DSS-17 - it was louder but still maintained a rich fingerstyle (flesh only) tone. Most of the rest of my vacation it haunted me. I decided to order one for trial, and it arrived on Monday. For what I play, it quickly proved itself to be the best guitar in the house. And I decided to keep the 317e and ditch my 2 month old 714ce cedar - the Martin did everything the 714ce did only better and louder whereas my 317e is still my favorite for a super dark tone. And there is a demoed HD28 2018 Iíve got my eye on near me- all a result of getting more educated about Martins in Nashville. I still love Taylor guitars though and my 317e. Beauty is obviously subjective but I still think Taylors guitars are the most aesthetically pleasing out there in spite of my new found love of Martins resonance.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

Gotta Love Those x17/x17e Taylors!
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Martin HD-28 (Trance M-VT)
Martin D-18 (Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2)
Martin D Jr (B-Band A1.2N)
Taylor 614ce ES2
Taylor 618e ES2
Taylor 356ce ES2
Taylor 322ce ES2
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa ES2
Epiphone DR-500MCE (Shadow eSonic2)
Ovation Elite Plus Contour (OpProStudio)
Ovation VXT Electric
Old 08-30-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Is it possible to identify how much the bone saddle contributed to the sound and how much, as it seems that you changed the saddle and strings simultaneously? Santa Cruz strings will definitely be more articulate. I'm wondering what you would have experienced with bone and Elixirs or SC/micarta?
I can't say for sure without trying, but I can tell you for certain that the biggest improvement was when I switched to SC Strings. The bone saddle on my 717 was put on a couple days after I installed SC Strings. I just used the same strings once I put the saddle on. For the 517, all changes were done at once.

I'm so in love with the overall sound of each that I'm really not interested in doing any experiments or anything like that. These guitars are perfect for me, and there isn't anything about the sound that I don't like.

For the first time ever, I am digging in and strumming away and solidifying my decision rather than nitpicking things I don't like. It's refreshing and honestly a foreign concept to me. I find it really amazing that I've been so critical of every guitar I've ever owned up until now. It's freeing.
Martin Dread Jr
Seagull S6 Spruce
PRS SC245

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion