The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 03:27 PM

Keep your eyes out for deals, too. I got this barely used 356ce (still had plastic on the pickguard and the case candy) for $999.

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM

First 12 string I played was a friend's cheap no-name with a high action tuned to E. Hard to play & I was just learning, 1974. Over the years I picked up lots of budget 12s & tried fingerpicking as I did on my 6 strings. Nope. Not enough space between the string pairs. Not sure how Leo Kottke does it. Not interested. Around 2006, I mentioned this after trying several at G.C. & a guy said we have a Breedlove Atlas coming in soon. You really should try it. "Sure. What's a Breedlove?" A few days later I tried it & bought my first 12 string. My first playable 12 string. Interesting tone too & lots of sustain. No harder to play than any 6 string I've tried. You can fly on this like it's a banjo. A few years later I take an interest in graphite guitars, do some research & get a Rainsong JM3000, which they no longer make. Glad I got one. Very loud & very clear. No bracing because it's carbon fiber. Nearly as playable as my Breedlove. Stays in tune a LONG time. Both are keepers. Only thing I've done to each is add a slightly lowered bone saddle. Tune both to D.
Yamaha GL1
Ibanez RG321 MH
Olympia OP-2 12 fret parlor
Danelectro 12 string

Last edited by Juan_Banjovy; 08-21-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Next, I traded up to the Yamaha LL16-12.
How'd you find the playability on that? The nut seems like it'd be a bit tight.

I'm currently eyeing it and a Guild D-1212 pretty hard for possible future acquisition.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

A little more than 22 years ago, I had a job as a door to door meat salesman. That job was pretty bad, but along the way, I rang the doorbell of a vegetarian who had no interest in meat, but was kind and offered me a drink of water on a hot day, which I could not refuse. Sitting in the corner of her living room I spied a guitar in the corner with six strings and 12 tuners- I asked about it and she received the guitar from her mother following a divorce and neither of them played, so I offered a hundred bucks. A set of strings and a setup later I was playing a Takamine copycat model of a Martin (Martin famously won a lawsuit regarding the font and style of the Takamine of the time)
- What was unique about that instrument was the comfortable fret radius compared to the flatter fretboards of most twelve string guitars I played through the years. I parted with that instrument a few years back and recently came across a Taylor 562ce-
Something cool about this Taylor is that it is unlike any other 12 string I have played. It is a small, and easy to play guitar with a twelve fret neck joint and full Mahogany to give this one an otherworldly clarity and feel.
I am in general agreement with the other folks regarding the limited uses for a 12 string, however, if you are looking for one that suits a fingerstyle player pretty well, this may be the exception. These instruments obviously take more work, but they certainly reward you for your patience.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:31 PM

I've only had a few, I had a Seagull 12 string that didn't do much for me, and a 12 string electric. Sold them both.

One day I decided to treat myself to a new six string, and I went to the store and there was a Taylor 12 string, a GA3-12. I could not believe how easy it was to play, and so I bought it immediately as one does. That was also when I came to know how good Taylor guitars were.

I still have it.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:35 PM

Life without a good 12 string isn’t worth living.

My favs (in order):

* Guild F-312NT

* Guild F-412NT

* Martin D-12-20

* Martin D-12-35

The 1971 Guild F-312NT in my current stash is the best sounding, easiest playing twelve I’ve ever had in my hands. I string it with Light gauge phosphor bronze strings and keep it tuned to concert pitch. The action has never changed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion