The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Default My New Kostal Build - OMC Koa/German Spruce

I'm on Jason's schedule for a mid 2020 12 fret OMC commission for what I believe will be a superlative fingerstyle instrument so I'm starting this build thread. The only activity that will happen this year will be Jason looking for a set of master grade koa that will be used in the build.

Based on my desire for a balanced and sweet tonal response and my impressions of my Taylor K-22 all koa 12 fret versus my higher end guitars (Froggy Bottom, SCGC, Collings, and Robinson), we both came to the conclusion that the combination of German spruce and koa will produce an exceptionally sweet, balanced, and orchestral sounding instrument. My K-22 is a wonderful guitar and I find it's tone to be exceptional but from a sustain and resonance standpoint, it's almost like the gain knob is turned down a bit compared to the same parameters as my higher end guitars.

I'll be spending this year figuring out final aesthetic details to work out (rosette, end graft, binding, etc.) but very excited to be a future Kostal owner. Stay tuned.
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Coco)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Eastman 810CE (Spruce/Maple archtop)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Jason Kostal seems like a great guy and my lord his guitars are magical. I picked up a pre-owned 00 and it has changed how I perceive all my guitars now! Enjoy the process!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop