The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Glycerine?? What gives? My wrist is killing me.

Hello, little background. I have been playing acoustic for 10 years and can play almost every Dave Matthews songs, streches and all.

I go to play this simple song by Bush, and my wrist absolutley kills me!

What is the deal? Is this common with this chord progression?

F: 133xxx
C: x355xx
D: x577xx
Bb: x133xx
Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor614ce View Post
Hello, little background. I have been playing acoustic for 10 years and can play almost every Dave Matthews songs, streches and all.

I go to play this simple song by Bush, and my wrist absolutley kills me!

What is the deal? Is this common with this chord progression?

F: 133xxx
C: x355xx
D: x577xx
Bb: x133xx
Hi T614ce...
Are you focussing on relaxing the fretting wrist?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-24-2009, 01:05 PM

For chords C,D,Bb are you trying to barre the 4th and 5th strings with your ring finger, or are you using your ring and pinky fingers to play the notes? I find it very difficult to try to barre those strings so close to the first fret, so for those chords, with that fingering, I would finger each note individually without much difficulty.
Taylor GA3
Old 09-24-2009, 01:08 PM

It's probably because you have to hold basically the same position through the whole song. Most of the chords (except the F) are the identical shape, just moved up the neck, so you have to keep constant tension in the same position for a long time. Songs like that can be painful.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK View Post
It's probably because you have to hold basically the same position through the whole song. Most of the chords (except the F) are the identical shape, just moved up the neck, so you have to keep constant tension in the same position for a long time. Songs like that can be painful.
I agree with this. I just got back from the weekly band practice (electric), and play pretty much only that shape for an hour or two. It kills my wrist more than a whole day of playing different shapes on acoustic.

The only thing that keeps me being able to play after a little bit, is to vamp the chords more. Relax your hand when you can, if at all possible. It stops the sound and makes it a little more percussive, but an hour or two of power chords is a lot of work.

That and playing pretty much every chord like your F chord - using the lowest three strings. I don't know why, but for me it seems like that shape is easier and less stressful than playing on the middle strings. It just makes the changes a little faster.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor614ce View Post
...my wrist absolutley kills me!
Hi again...
As a teacher, I wish I could see your hand/wrist/arm angle and how you hold the guitar.

Lots of things contribute to relaxed playing, including action, the angle you hold the guitar, and as was mentioned the time involved of playing without shifting angles or fingering positions much.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write