The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-04-2017, 05:16 AM

Default Best Pickup System for Percussive Fingerstyle Guitar

Hello,

at the moment I'm searching a pickup system for percussive fingerstyle guitar. The problem is, that I don't want to spend that much money, just to amplify my guitar body + guitar strings. The best option would be a condenser microphone or something like that. But I'm not sure if you can plug a microphone into a delay pedal; that would be important. The second choice would be, to buy something like the Seymour Duncan MagMic, but I don't want to bother with the battery life (or is it no big deal? I mean, 450+ is much, to be honest.), so a passive pickup. I already thought about the K & K Trinity Pickup System, but I think the preamp is too expensive, but I'm not even sure; 1. if you need the preamp or if there is 2. an alternative for the K & K Dual Channel Preamp. Or maybe you can recommend me a better pickup for percussive fingerstyle. I'm not planning to play in a band or anything like that.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:53 AM

The K&K Trinity requires a blending preamp that provides power to the mic. There are several preamps available and, I believe, they are all more expensive than the K&K (LR Baggs makes one that may be about the same price). Battery life is t a big deal, just change batteries every 6 months or so during a string change.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Whenever somebody asks about what pickup to use, I am never shy about suggesting the one I use. I have tried way more pickup systems than any one man should ever spend their money on searching for something that truly represents your guitar in a natural no fuss way. The one I found is a handmade soundboard transducer called the Dazzo. It is similar to the K and K but there is more under the hood to make it more mic-like. It has two transducers glued to your sound board hard wired to a standard end pin. That's it. I get a great sound with the EQ set flat. From there I do dial in a more specific tone specific to whatever my needs are for that gig. When I tap on the body, the pickup accurately reproduces the body resonance. No battery. I add a Red Eye preamp to that and I get phenomenal. Check out the website and give Teddy a call. He answers every time. P.S. It is not the best if you plan on doing any direct recording from your guitar plugged direct into your recording device. best to use a mic for that. The Dazzo is best for live use.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Whenever somebody asks about what pickup to use, I am never shy about suggesting the one I use. I have tried way more pickup systems than any one man should ever spend their money on searching for something that truly represents your guitar in a natural no fuss way. The one I found is a handmade soundboard transducer called the Dazzo. It is similar to the K and K but there is more under the hood to make it more mic-like. It has two transducers glued to your sound board hard wired to a standard end pin. That's it. I get a great sound with the EQ set flat. From there I do dial in a more specific tone specific to whatever my needs are for that gig. When I tap on the body, the pickup accurately reproduces the body resonance. No battery. I add a Red Eye preamp to that and I get phenomenal. Check out the website and give Teddy a call. He answers every time. P.S. It is not the best if you plan on doing any direct recording from your guitar plugged direct into your recording device. best to use a mic for that. The Dazzo is best for live use.
Not to derail this thread but I still think that the biggest issue with Dazzo pickups is the fact that Teddy offers different bass responses. He points this out as being a positive but for someone like me who needs to order the pickup to another country, I really don't want to experiment. The install also seems to be all about experimentation, which many of us don't have time for.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

For my reggae & light percussive style, I've been pleased with the Baggs M80 I use in my D18 and here in my Goodall CJ:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
fingerstyle percussive, microphone, pickup, preamp