The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-24-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjanne View Post
I didn't connect with that particular guitar, and I really don't know why.
For me, it was easy to explain: My Claxton cost me less than half of the Traugott (both were used).
I used to ("used to"?!) chase the GAS and that almost always meant paying increasing amounts for a guitar, chasing the Grail.
When I finally got my hands on it, I started stressing about the big hole in my wallet.
Two guitars very similar in performance, very different in price; easy choice!

In fact I sold the Traugott and bought TWO Kostals, but that was a million years ago, when Jason's pricing meant that was possible (mine was the first out of his own shop). I ended up stressing about those as well.

First world problems.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-25-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Guitar choice is always personal, but I would not think of Traugott or Claxton as a guitar for a heavy pick/percussive player. These guitars are ultra-responsive, and lightly built. Seems to me you'd rip the strings right off of them :-) Descriptions can be misleading, but based on what I'm imagining your playing style is from your description, I'd think of other guitars you might want to explore, maybe Greenfield, Beneteau, or Lowden? All of these are built for power, and are used by aggressive players, like Don Ross, Jon Gomm, and so on.
I didn't explain myself very well. I'm used to controlling a lot of gain on an electric guitar, I actually use the same pick for that too, I'm looking for the most dynamically sensitive guitar possible. I prefer to play lighter, with precision, but just like finger style, really let certain notes pop and sustain. I don't want to have to beat a guitar for it to be loud. My only acoustic for the last 12 years is an SCGC OM that I've put thousands of hours on. I'm essentially looking for the most super charged version of that possible, but louder with more fundamental and way more sensitive to playing lightly with a good volume. A Traugott BK is at the top of my list for sure.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
I didn't explain myself very well. I'm used to controlling a lot of gain on an electric guitar, I actually use the same pick for that too, I'm looking for the most dynamically sensitive guitar possible. I prefer to play lighter, with precision, but just like finger style, really let certain notes pop and sustain. I don't want to have to beat a guitar for it to be loud. My only acoustic for the last 12 years is an SCGC OM that I've put thousands of hours on. I'm essentially looking for the most super charged version of that possible, but louder with more fundamental and way more sensitive to playing lightly with a good volume. A Traugott BK is at the top of my list for sure.

First of all my apologies to Janne for chiming in again on what is turning out to be a detour from your NGD thread. But these comments may be useful for people who've never played either a Claxton or a Traugott, so here I go.

Crash, even after reading your further clarifications, I would still agree with what Doug said. My Claxton OM excels when played with anything from a feather-light touch to medium strength attack. Hitting it harder than that, especially with a flatpick, pushes it beyond its optimal operating range. (I found the same to be true with Thomas' Traugott, by the way.)

By contrast, my other OM is a Circa with an Adirondack spruce soundboard and mahogany back and sides. Its optimal operating range goes from light attack to extra-heavy. It's the loudest, punchiest guitar I've ever owned and has seemingly endless headroom. Its tone is fuller in the midrange, and the hearty growl it develops when played hard is majestic. Its drier sound, with a noticeable emphasis on the fundamental, makes it an excellent complement to the Claxton.

While both guitars are very refined and great all-rounders, the Claxton is my instrument of choice for the softer material in my repertoire, whereas the Circa is unbeatable when it comes to the louder stuff.

Over the past two years I've been fortunate to play quite a few world-class guitars by different builders. The most important thing I've learned is that, great as they all are, some of them really don't work for my playing style. I have also discovered just how lucky I was to find the Claxton so early on in my search, for it's the one that suits me better than any other guitar I've ever played.

I hope these comments help you in your quest, Crash. These are very expensive instruments, and when one realizes that there's a mismatch between what one's new guitar can do and what one's needs are, the buyer's remorse one feels can be a major buzzkill.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
I play tuned down a full step in standard tuning, with a heavy 2mm V Pick, very percussively and dynamically.
To me, that description screams Stefan Sobell, Rory Dowling, Nigel Forster.

All are Masters of building instruments designed to stand out in a sweaty pub where there is a frantic celtic session happening in the back room after hours. Gotta be heard over those bagpipes!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-25-2021, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

To add to what steveh has said, you may want to check out this opportunity to take advantage of an order cancellation for a guitar by Nigel Forster.

You can find the details here:
https://mailchi.mp/c5de68f8771f/canc...2?e=fab13b30b6
Old 02-25-2021, 12:47 PM

Thanks guys! Definitely didn't mean to derail the thread! It's hard to find anyone who has experience with all these amazing guitars...
Old 02-25-2021, 02:36 PM

No need to apologize at all, guys. I'm enjoying the discussion greatly. I agree with Marc that the Claxton is suboptimal for really loud playing. The lightest of touches ignites a full response and you can explore subtle nuances endlessly, but if you primarily want to play loud and hard, there are way more suitable options.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjanne View Post
No need to apologize at all, guys. I'm enjoying the discussion greatly. I agree with Marc that the Claxton is suboptimal for really loud playing. The lightest of touches ignites a full response and you can explore subtle nuances endlessly, but if you primarily want to play loud and hard, there are way more suitable options.
I want to play loud without having to play hard. I want what finger style players want, but I use a pick. Controlling a lot of gain on electric requires the most finesse. I want an acoustic that like an electric that starts ringing because you take your hands off the strings lol.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
claxton, fingerstyle, guitar