The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 AM

Default Build Thread: Saville SJ LS Redwood/"The Tree" Mahogany

Greeting Acoustic Guitar Forum! This is my first post but I have been reading the AGF for quite some time now. I am starting this build thread since I love looking at so many of the build threads on here so much I thought it wouldn't be fare if I didn't return the favor! I am really looking forward to getting to know you all better and becoming a part of this wonderful community.

About a month and a half ago I first contacted Steve Saville about a beautiful Sinker Redwood/Walnut guitar he had just finished and arranged a time that I could stop by and play it. I am not much of a cutaway guy but that guitar was so harmonically rich and dripping with overtones, I was blown away! We then started discussing a custom build for me. I am going to be in Japan next year studying Japanese and because I am planning to play out a lot I was really hoping This guitar could be finished before I leave in September. Steve has really gone the extra mile in this regard and it seems like it might be done in time!

Now for the good stuff =P. I had been pretty set on a redwood top and had been actually considering having a Lowden Redwood/Koa custom made. So when Steve mentioned that he had some LS Redwood he had just got I jumped on it! As for tonewoods, I had been thinking of going with Koa since I had really liked a lot of the Koa backed guitars I had played. However, After tossing around a lot of different ideas I ended up deciding on an AMAZING set of "The Tree" mahogany. I am really excited to see how it comes together and am very happy with what I have seen so far. I am going with the SJ size with no cutaway. The scale length is gonna be 25.7" and 1 13/16" at that nut.

Steve has been great to work with so far and really helped me out making this possible in more ways than one so I would just like to publicly say a BIG thank you! I only have a few pictures to share with you but as soon as he sends me more in the coming months I promise to share =P. If you haven't already, you should really check out Steve's work, he really is a very talented luthier and it really shows up in the tone of his instruments. I play fingerstyle and even with the lightest touch rich, luscious notes seemed to jump out of all of the guitars of his I played. I also found them to be particularly suited for alternate tunings, which I play almost exclusively in.

Anyways, here are the pictures!

back and sides (they are the same color, just a lighting issue)

I'm actually not going with the maple back strip but just for a closer view at the mahogany

the sketch

rosette in progress, look at the grain!

rosette and soundhole done!

I actually do have a question though for everyone. What type of amplification setup would you go with? I have been mulling over doing a K&K PWM and possible a trinity too. I dont think I want a magnetic pickup so does anyone have any suggestions? My music has a REALLY dynamic range and I do do a little body percussion too.

Thanks for looking!

P.S. I should have pictures of the box and everything soon!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Tone Chaser

Oh, my! To me, both Lucky Strike Redwood and "The Tree" Mahogany are dream woods! You have made excellent choices in selecting them. Congratulations! The wait begins...

Also, WELCOME to the forum!
De la Rosa - Brazilian RW/Swiss Moon Spruce (Coming April 2012)

Maingard
Grand Concert - Brazilian RW/German Spruce (2005)

Tippin
OMT - EIR/European Spruce (2000) (Voicing updated 2006)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 AM

Quite an entry to the AGF. Welcome and congratulations for your selection.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Welcome and congratulations!

Last edited by jalbert; 09-04-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I haven't had the opportunity to see or play Steve's guitars, but his work sure looks nice from the pictures I've seen. The wood sets you guys chose are fantastic. From the looks of your 'The Tree', I'd guess it came from the sets Jay (BBWW) was offering recently; really great stuff. I really like what dense mahogany back and sides adds to the tone. I've heard sound clips from a small body The Tree/LS Redwood, and it was great.

It looks like the top bracing is going to be a lattice below the main X brace. Could you or Steve comment on the expectations from that type of design? (Similar top bracing was used on my Poling Sierra).

Congrats!

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 06-09-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 AM

Wow,,,, LS and The Tree! In the hands of Steve this is going to be built into an AMAZING instrument. Congrats!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM

Welcome to the AGF, amerry19! You've chosen a great guy to build your guitar, and I have no doubt that it will turn out to be something very special! Glad to have you among us!

cotten
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
..... From the looks of your 'The Tree', I'd guess it came from the sets Jay (BBWW) was offering recently; really great stuff. ........
Yes - The back and side set is from Jay. Great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
..... It looks like the top bracing is going to be a lattice below the main X brace. Could you or Steve comment on the expectations from that type of design? (Similar top bracing was used on my Poling Sierra).......
I build a very light top, meaning that the top is thin - about 20% less than production guitars. When the top is that thin it needs to be supported more with bracing. I keep the bracing light as well, but braces are not to be seen as a necessary evil. They are as essential to the tone of the guitar as they are to the structure. Braces need to be designed and shaped to maximize tone. This bracing scheme, along with very stiff double/laminate sides, this makes for a very responsive guitar. Less mass on the top and stiff sides mean that the energy from the strings does more work making sound. I find that as I remove more wood from the top it lets the woods character come out more in tone. Truly a less is more application.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Thumbs up LS and The Tree

Man oh man, thumbs up from me, Two great woods, two great stories = One Great Guitar. I've never played or heard the combo in a guitar before but have longed too so I hope I get to hear that baby. I love LS redwood and of course I'm pretty fond of "The Tree" too. I'm looking forward to the build thread Steve.

Look at the grain lines in that top.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 AM
*mahoganut*

*sigh*

I will be following with much enthusiasm and anticipation!

I can recommend dark binding (ebony, braz, EIR, etc.)!!

edit: I have a Highlander in my mahogany/cedar, and a K&K mini in my baritone. I like them both - good natural tone, etc. I can't compare to other pickups but those are very good options.

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

Last edited by riorider; 06-09-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added pickup comment
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Ebony is a good look for the tree

Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 PM

The ebony does look nice but here's a plug for cocobolo :

Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! All those guitars with the tree back and sides look fantastic! I was thinking of going with a flamed maple binding but i am also going to consider ebony. Also, there is another player in the mix now! Steve suggested that Macassar ebony might also be a good choice because it would tie in with the Macassar ebony bridge. Thoughts?
I'll post pics as soon as I have them!
Lowden O35 Alpine Spruce/Walnut

http://www.youtube.com/user/amerrymusic

Adam Merry
Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerry19 View Post
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! All those guitars with the tree back and sides look fantastic! I was thinking of going with a flamed maple binding but i am also going to consider ebony. Also, there is another player in the mix now! Steve suggested that Macassar ebony might also be a good choice because it would tie in with the Macassar ebony bridge. Thoughts?
I'll post pics as soon as I have them!
Hey amerry19 -- the Baranik in my picture has macassar ebony for the binding. I personally like the extra bit of grain - sometimes with a slightly warm or dark brown tone - that you can see in dark macassar.

Lots of macassar has reds and tans in it as well, so I'm sure Steve is thinking of complementary colors.

Whatever you choose will I'm sure be spectacular. That special mahogany paired with that special redwood is going to be a tone monster!

Best,

Phil
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Some more pictures for you guys. Seeing these really makes me lean towards that mac ebony.

This is that flamed maple:

Koa looks good too:

Couple pics of the Macassar ebony:

One with all side by side, lacewood on the bottom:

I am REALLY digging the Macassar ebony! How about you guys?
Lowden O35 Alpine Spruce/Walnut

http://www.youtube.com/user/amerrymusic

Adam Merry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop