The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2003, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up I saw Tommy Emmanuel live Friday night!

He was playing at the Oklahoma International Bluegrass Festival Thursday and Friday. I caught the last song of his workshop at 2pm and witnessed his concerned at 7pm. He is absolutely incredible. I have never ever heard anyone play the guitar like that before. He has complete mastery of it. My mouth was open practically the whole concert. A great showman too. I saw his guitar model on sale at the festival. A 'Maton' I think the name was. Not very impressive to look at. Interesting pickup though. And yet it sounds great when plugged in. It sure takes a beating when he plays it. He doesn't hold anything back. It's just a tool to him. When I meet him after the concert and I expressed my appreciation of it I jokingly told him "not with my guitar you won't". You might not understand what I meant unless you've seen him play "Initiation".
Well, I thank whoever on the forum posted a video URL of Tommy playing Classical Gas some months ago. I had never heard of him before. After watching that video multiple times I decided I just had to go watch him live. Boy am I glad I did. His dynamics were superb. I can't explain all of the things that I marvel about him. I bought his 2 hour DVD. I figured I should keep that for posterity. Growing up I only could see Chet Atkins here and there on the TV. Never live. And now Chet is gone. I want to remember Tommy for a long time. If I ever had the chance to see him again I would, in a heart beat.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:53 PM

I searched the TGF threads and found this link for the Classical Gas video....you need Windows Media Player for this....Tommy is Amazing!!

http://www.thebasement.com.au/media/tommy_emmanuel.asx
Old 10-05-2003, 09:16 PM

IMO....Tommy Emmanuel is the best guitar player on the planet. Or as Chet Atkins said "Tommy is the best two guitarists I've ever played with." Glad you had a good time.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:22 PM

Gardner, yes that is the url. I didn't know it was from Australia. I love it. It is different than what is on the DVD. The DVD was recorded in St Louis, MO.
thanks
Old 10-05-2003, 09:48 PM

They just don't get any better than Tommy. In my book, it's not a matter of opinion; emperically he is the greatest acoustic guitar player in the world.

Glad you enjoyed the show... He was in San Diego over the summer, and I hear he's coming back to the Bonita Country Club this Tuesday again, but I'll have to miss him this time.

I have a Maton EBG808 Artist, which is similar to his, and while it doesn't have the flash of an upper-end Taylor, it's very light and responsive, and plays easier and feels more like a part of me than any other guitar I own. They're a real treat, if you can get your hands on one.

-Kent
Old 10-05-2003, 09:57 PM
I love good stories

I was there too, all three days. Got to visit with Tommy 3 or 4 times during the two days he was there and got to pick a little with him again too. I noticed for the first time that he doesn't have any nails. He produces the sounds with his bare fingers. In my opinion also, the best player on the planet.

Matons are great guitars. They may not sound like much unplugged (EBG808) but plugged in, they are extremely warm and woody. A real player's guitar.

Admiral, Where are you in OK....if you don't mind that is.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:56 PM

I also saw Tommy Emmanuel at Oklahoma this year. Admiral is right, Tommy is the best on the planet - no doubt. His music cannot be described.
The song, "Initiation" is absolutely incredible. Guitars were never meant to be played like that - especially at a bluegrass fest.!
I wonder if any Taylor could withstand that kind of stress.
Tommy is the only guitarist in the world that would be allowed to sign my 314ce. I didn't ask though.
I had the fortune to be his personal driver during the festival - we're buds now!
Old 10-31-2003, 04:58 PM

I had the good fortune to see Tommy at the JazzTrax festival on Calalina Island earler this month. His show is in one word UNBELIEVABE. He plays a fair amount of "covers" but as with Classica Gas they become his while he interprets them. If he comes to your town set aside some time and go see him. You will not be disappointed. But do your self a favor, don't let him play your guitar it probably won't stand up to his heavy handed playing style. During she show he made a comment that we should go home and tryout some of his songs on our guitars, but he did not recommend it if it was a Japanese made guitar.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 10-31-2003, 05:48 PM

I cannot let a TE thread pass by and not add my dose of awe... I've been collecting the video links, and have not seen this one yet. Nothing short of amazing. Admiral, you are correct - he has mastered acoustic guitar like no one else I have ever heard. There's a lot of good players... a few exceptional ones... and then there's TE. I can't wait to see him live. Thanks for the link.

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 10-31-2003, 07:42 PM

Do yourself a really BIG favor and order the Seldon concert from this pageTommy-Sheldon Concert
Old 10-31-2003, 08:35 PM

I agree with Orsino about getting the DVD. He is incredible. I've seen him at least 6 times live, now. Each time, he has been unbelievable. He's a really nice guy, as well.

( @ )===:::
Old 10-31-2003, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark E <><
I agree with Orsino about getting the DVD. He is incredible. I've seen him at least 6 times live, now. Each time, he has been unbelievable. He's a really nice guy, as well.
Oh man Mark...6 times?.....I definitely want to be you when I grow up.
Tommy's the MAN.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification