The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: What is your favorite tone wood?
Hawiian Koa 22 20.00%
Claro Walnut 3 2.73%
Ovangkol 7 6.36%
Mahogany 13 11.82%
Brazilian Rosewood 16 14.55%
East Indian Rosewood 28 25.45%
Big Leaf Maple 13 11.82%
Sapele 2 1.82%
Imbuia 1 0.91%
Cocobolo 5 4.55%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2002, 01:43 PM

So Sorry Marge,

As you said, it is my opinion that I expressed here. I no longer own the brazilian, sold a koa and currently own an 810WMB in Indian Rosewood. Great guitar. I also like Mahogony on 12 strings. My opinion of course.

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)

"However, I prefer Koa and Indian Rosewood to the Brazilians that I have played. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Please don't discredit others and their preferences because you have another preference. You come off sounding a bit snobbish. I love my koas and my EI Rosewoods as you do your Brazillian. Please respect that! "

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge
Old 01-01-2002, 02:53 PM

Lonesome Picker ... Striped Ebony ... as in Macassar Ebony? If it's the same thing, I love it. Too bad it's not a Taylor (I'd love to see what Taylor would do with this wood), but it's a Goodall with an Adirondack top. Doesn't have the overtones of a Brazilian, but a very strong and deep bass ... lovely subtle highs that ring long, but not bright ... but then, I chose the Adirondack so I wouldn't get the "noise" of overtones.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:31 PM

I'd be curious, if someone who voted for East Indian Rosewood or Koa, could try to verbalize the difference in tonality from Brazilian. ie What are you hearing that is superior. (Brightness, Bottom, articulation...?)

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

I did not vote for any of the tonewoods because I just can't say that I always like one over another.
But to address taylormans question between the EI Rosewood and Koa compared to brazillian:
In Koa I hear a more pronounced definition in individual strings and notes.
In EI Rosewood I hear a very balanced tone with less string or note definition but a more rounded tone and a little more bottom end than the Koa can produce.
In Brazillian I hear more overtones a little more color to the sound and very good harmonics and the same balanced rounded tone of the EI Rosewood.
These are of course just my personal opinions and help me justify why I need multiple guitars
Each one has a different sound not better or worse just different.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:57 PM
.tom the übergeek

So how many times did JR vote?
Old 01-02-2002, 06:04 AM

Maybe the question should have been "If you could only have ONE, which would it be?".

Old 01-02-2002, 06:32 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Valid Point,
If I could only have one..Hmmmmmmm.

Brazillian (I think)

Its a really difficult choice!
Old 01-02-2002, 06:34 AM

Yes! I knew it!!!
(Now Vote!)

YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Signed,
Uncle Sam
Old 01-02-2002, 08:19 AM

To pick one tone wood is a tough choice. While My K14C is my favorite guitar it is a very intamate guitar and is in its world when being played that way BUT! anything outside that relm and its light strings, cedar top limit it to this type of play. My 910B is great overall but note seperation isnt near what the K14C is. My 914C is light srung but with its engalmann top finds its way in the midde of my 2 favorite guitars and finds some really strong middle ground between the K14C and 910B. While Koa is my favorite tone wood I like it because it is intamate but would it make an all around guitar great? I dont know because at the present I dont own a engalmann top Koa guitar so its hard to say. Money becomes a big factor in a guitar purchace so I think I will throw this part in the mix. Im going to let cost get in the way of picking one tonewood. The woods Ive never been disapointed in in any Taylor has been East Indian Rosewood or Mahogany. Now Ive narrowed the field to two woods that do well with cedar, spruce or engalmann. I have a 714CE(cedar) and my 914C(engalmann) both sound great but the 914C one ups it in the volume department. I have a 510(engalmann) and have owned a 514CE that I loved (still kicking myself for that sale). adding all these things together and coming out with the best guitar with acceptable volume, tone , note seperation and of course cost. My 914C would come up a winner except for the cost so I would move to a 714C with engalmann top. So I would say that EI Rosewood would have to be the choice when you factor in cost. The EI in my 714CE is great and looks as good as my 914C. I know the Engalmann works on the EI 14 as proven on my 914C. Ive tried differant tops in most all other woods and only EI seems to adapt to all topwoods in any body style so far. Ive played an Engalmann top K14C and didnt like it and a 514C with a Engalmann top and didnt like that either. SO if I had to pick only One Tonewood Id have to say East Indian Rosewood. 1/4 the price of brazilian and 99/100 the sound. I may have a new outlook when I get my Engalmann topped Cocobolo 14! It may be the new king. Tough question and so hard to answer JW
Old 01-02-2002, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Just One? How?

Quote:
Maybe the question should have been "If you could only have ONE, which would it be?".
Alright, Taylorman, here we all are trying to justify having more than one cause we love 'em. Don't start that nasty rumor that we could be satisfied with JUST one. It will backfire on all of us with our spouses

I don't want to choose just one!!!

Life's too short for just one tonewood and, if God had wanted us to play just one he wouldn't have made more than one tree, hehe...

Lisa
Old 01-02-2002, 10:08 AM

Well, if I had to give up all guitars except one ... I'd be hanging on to ... I know you all know this answer ... EVERYONE???? ... yep, you're all right (how could you not be?) ... the PS-15. Of course, I wouldn't be a happy camper when I was in the mood for something else, but this guitar satisfies most of the time ... and I don't think it's just because it's the new kid on the block ... it's just magical.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:55 AM

The new will wear off and you will have another on order. I know how it goes. Its so hard to choose JW
Old 01-02-2002, 10:57 AM

Talking I feel like an underdog... hehehe

Hello!

Y'all people and your high-end Taylors!

As you mostly know, i own the 310

I think that i got a very good one (June 99) because the grain of my Sapele is just awesome! i've since compared it to many 300 Series geetars and none have yet impressed me (grain-wise) as my 310. It's not the figured Sapele quality of the XXV guitars, but wow... it shines!

Sound-wise too... very loud and bright. I like Taylors of other woods, mind you, but whenever i go back to my 310, i feel right back at home. Of course, with all respect, i wouldn't MIND having another Taylor...... hehehehe

C'mon~ i know there are others out there that wanna chime in... hehe
TGF #66

2008 Taylor 714ce
2008 Taylor 914ce (mine but on a temporary "loan" to my dad )
1999 Taylor 310 9906100xx ex-owner
1999 Taylor 310 9911310xx ex-owner

Eu sou brasileiro-coreano com muito orgulho!
Old 01-02-2002, 11:01 AM

Hey! I have a Saple 355 and that baby sings!JW
Old 01-02-2002, 11:14 AM

Well JW, I already have another guitar on order ... but it's not a Taylor ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification