The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Help with pickups for a 71 Fender Strat

I have never owned an electric guitar and have only played one around 2 or 3 times. I've always wanted one and ended up getting a killer deal on a killer guitar that a friend in hard times had to sell. The guitar is a 71 Fender strat, but is pretty much gutted as far as electronics.
I am new to the whole electric scene/sound and was wondering on a good set of pickups for this sucker. I play fingerstyle 99% of the time so something that would lean towards that if it matters. Most likely lookin for a bluesy/rock sound.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'm partial to Fralin pickups, SRV (and lots of others) used them in some of his guitars ... And you can get them custom wound by callin Fralin directly. But there are plenty of other brands out there.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyle.asp
Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM

I'm a big fan of Lindy Fralin's pickups too but I like the Antiquitys that Seymour Duncan handwinds in his custom shop just as much. But you don't have to spend twice as much on boutique pickups to get great tone. Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest a Seymour Duncan SSL1 for the neck and SSL-1 RW/RP for the middle. That way you'll have humcancelling when the middle pickups is combined with the neck or bridge pickup. For the bridge, the Duncan Twangbanger is a great bridge pickup with some oomph.

I'd wire it like the drawing I included. This will give you every pickup combination. You'll have a master volume and master tone. The second tone control becomes a blender pot. When you're set to the neck pickup, the blender pot blends the bridge pickup into it. When youre set for the bridge pickup, the blender pot blends the neck pickup into it.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 AM

I'd omit the "volume kit" in the drawing and instead go with a no load tone control. The volume kit is to retain treble when the volume control is reduced but if you use a no load pot for the tone control the tone control will be disconnected from the circuit when it's on "10" and you'll get a clearer tone than normal. The SSL-1 pickups are copies of late 50's/early 60's Strat pickups and the Twangbanger is a warm sounding Tele pickup in a Strat size.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 10-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

I have a mexistrat and did the wiring above and really like it. You get a traditional strat with a couple of extra good tones. Meanwhile, for pickups, the possibilities are endless to the point of confusing.

If you're a fingerstyle guy with a penchant for blues, then you'll likely prefer a traditional sounding pickup that isn't too "hot." Fralins are some of the best available and Duncan makes amazing ones too, but no need to look past Fender here. Their Custom Shop pickups are quite good. I have Custom Shop '54s in my strat and I love them. The only downside is they are so vintage that they don't hum cancel in the 2 and 4 switch position. If this is important to you, then you could get Fender Fat50s or CS '69s and do well.

Steve
Old 10-11-2011, 07:58 AM

Hey FingerFlicker... welcome to the world of electrics.

You might want to post your question at Strat Talk forum.

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/pickup-forum/

They have many "what pickups should I get" questions. Usually good responses.

There are a ton of after market pickups available in a wide price range. If you describe what tone you want and you're playing style, you should get some great ideas there.

I loaded my favorite Strat with a set of Lace Holy Grails. Quiet and nice tone.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 AM

man, you have a '71 Strat. It deserves vintage '71'ish pickups. I would recommend you call the Fender Custom Shop and see what they can wind for you. There are ALOT of great Strat Pickups out there, my favorites are Chris Klein and David Allen.

If the guitar were mine I would be on the phone to the Fender Custom Shop.

Congrats on what is likely a VERY cool guitar.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
I have a mexistrat and did the wiring above and really like it. You get a traditional strat with a couple of extra good tones. Meanwhile, for pickups, the possibilities are endless to the point of confusing.

If you're a fingerstyle guy with a penchant for blues, then you'll likely prefer a traditional sounding pickup that isn't too "hot." Fralins are some of the best available and Duncan makes amazing ones too, but no need to look past Fender here. Their Custom Shop pickups are quite good. I have Custom Shop '54s in my strat and I love them. The only downside is they are so vintage that they don't hum cancel in the 2 and 4 switch position. If this is important to you, then you could get Fender Fat50s or CS '69s and do well.

Steve
A lot of folks love those Fat 50's. Never tried them or the '69s. I've mostly stuck with Duncans and Fralins.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks for all of the replies.
I keep hearing Fralin and the fender noiseless/vintage getting thrown around.
I've been trying to listen to different pickups via youtube, but we all know you the guitar, recording, and player can all contribute to the sound. So as of now i think i'm leaning towards texas special, fender noiseless, or fat 50's.
any input on personal experience between the 3 would be awesome.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerFlicker View Post
Thanks for all of the replies.
I keep hearing Fralin and the fender noiseless/vintage getting thrown around.
I've been trying to listen to different pickups via youtube, but we all know you the guitar, recording, and player can all contribute to the sound. So as of now i think i'm leaning towards texas special, fender noiseless, or fat 50's.
any input on personal experience between the 3 would be awesome.
I play with my fingers quite a bit also, and IMHO Texas Specials or the SCN Fender Noiseless pickups are not the way to go. The Fat 50's would be way cool. Texas Specials IMO are muddy and too high output, and I do not like the SCN Noiseless pickups at all.

Go to the Klein Pickup site and listen to the clips of the Jazzy Cats or the
S-5's. I can attest that these pickups sound every bit as good in person as they do in the clips.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 PM

I like the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage/Area pickups....noiselesss without being sterile....
Old 10-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I play with my fingers quite a bit also, and IMHO Texas Specials or the SCN Fender Noiseless pickups are not the way to go. The Fat 50's would be way cool. Texas Specials IMO are muddy and too high output, and I do not like the SCN Noiseless pickups at all.

Go to the Klein Pickup site and listen to the clips of the Jazzy Cats or the
S-5's. I can attest that these pickups sound every bit as good in person as they do in the clips.
Thanks man this is exactly what i needed to know because texas specials were my go to. Hmmm I guess i'll take a look at the Kleins.
Any other fingerstyle pick-up recommendations?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerFlicker View Post
Thanks man this is exactly what i needed to know because texas specials were my go to. Hmmm I guess i'll take a look at the Kleins.
Any other fingerstyle pick-up recommendations?
Pickups are very subjective, but Texas Specials are high output LOUD pickups and IMO would not lend themselves to fingerstyle.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 AM

Mark Knopfler uses Texas Specials so they're not necessarily muddy. I didn't find them to be extremely hot, overwound or muddy. I used them for awhile. Personally, I think YOUTUBE tests are almost useless in terms of knowing what a set of pickups will sound like in your guitar, through your amp, with your playing style, and with you playing the music you like to play.

The Fat 50's would probably be a safe bet. Never tried them but never read a negative review of them either.

I use Duncan Antiquitys and Fralin Vintage Hots in my own Strats.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 AM

You know, Stevie Ray didn't use overwound pickups in his Strats. His guitar tech tried to locate vintage Strat pickups that were around 6K for his guitars. With his strong hands, heavy strings and E flat tuning, SRV didn't have trouble getting an overdriven sound - it was a crystal clear tone for tunes like Riviera Paradise and Lenny and for some of his chord work that was important for him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification