The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-22-2018, 05:03 AM

Default Black Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckJ7...y38jSjJ4AaABAg
Old 06-22-2018, 05:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Nice job!!! That's an old favorite with an interesting back story behind how it became a hit: "Black Water" was the B-side of a song named, "Another Park Another Sunday." "APAS" was a pensive song written by Tom Johnston about a breakup that hit the ground running and was climbing the charts. The DJs picked up on a line in the second verse of the song, "my car is empty and the radio just seems to bring me down," and collectively decided to pull it from the radio as it reached #32. I remember this event very well. It was climbing rapidly, as all of the Doobies songs of the period did, and then it vanished. As a result, Warner Brothers decided to promo the B-side so they wouldn't have to manufacture and distribute another record. And that's how Pat Simmon's "Black Water" became a hit. "Black Water" was written on a tour "rest day" in New Orleans when Pat had to travel across the city on a city bus or street car from his hotel to a coin-op laundry and got all these pictures of the Mississippi in his head.

A funny tour story: In 1978 I took a young lady to see the Doobies in Knoxville, TN, my hometown. Pat played this song and, as was his practice, substituted the name of the city he was in for the word "Mississippi" in the chorus. Only this time, he had a case of "touring disease:" he'd lost track of what city he was in and said "Nashville moon won't you keep on shinin' on me." He apparently also wasn't aware of the rivalry between the two cities and ended up greeted with a chorus of boos. Someone shouted up to him the city he was in. He he corrected it on the next go-round and for the rest of the song and all was forgiven.

Oh, and by the way, that concert date was my first official date with the lovely lady who became my wife.

Memories.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-23-2018, 05:02 AM

day made! what a GREAT post sir. I didn't know any of that story so a sincere thanks...also APAS is maybe my fave DB tune and i had NO idea of the history you shared - again thanks for taking time to share it!

What a great pic - it just makes me smile. It also warms my heart that you two guys have been together ever since and i sincerely wish you the very best.

I need to say again i'm very thankful that you have been kind enough to share music and so many parts of your musical story with me! I remain honored and i've learn from your kindness. It would be so cool to one day sit and talk shop and gear - that would be a good day and i'm hoping somehow it happens.

your KY friend,
dale
Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for your kind words, Dale. I'd love to have the chance to play and talk!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Very well done Dale. A bunch of us used to sing this song acapella before school. Funky Dixieland, with the hand claps for the girls Thanks for the memory!

Last edited by reeve21; 06-24-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Very well done Dale. A bunch of us used to sing this song acapella before school. Funky Dixieland, with the handicaps for the girls Thanks for the memory!
Hello Bob..thanks so much for checking this out & love the story!
Old 06-24-2018, 06:49 AM

Really fine playing there! I was singing karioki along with it.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 06-24-2018, 07:59 PM

Hello Warren...thanks so much for checking this out sir!
Old 06-24-2018, 09:14 PM

Fine work -- brilliant!
Old 06-25-2018, 04:56 AM

hello John...hope all is good sir and sincere thanks for giving this a listen!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell