The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 01-21-2018, 08:53 PM

Default NK Forster archtop - Samois

June 2016 I posted mention that Cliff Cultreri at Destroy All Guitars is representing my NK Forster archtop guitar ~ the Samois.

I'm back CONUS from a year and a half working and moving in an international way and not paying much attention to extracurriculars, and recently talked w/ Cliff about getting this back on the market.

It's now got a proper-ish webpage here. (My ca. 2016 cast into the AGF darkness here ~ leads to other links and pics ~ and Nigel's video still speaks profoundly to the instr.'s pathbreaking as well). $7.5K --- now $6.5K *july'18.

Not much to update. You're still looking at the state of the art re archtops. Nigel's innovation schedule is relentless, but he found a brilliant corner w/ his floating bridge archtops - and the Samois in particular.

W/ current CITES restrictions discouraging Forster rosewood builds for North America, the rarity/singularity quotient on this (already rare, already singular) kit has cleared another strata.

Cliff still representing this one ~ I'm glad to comment via PM here, but please contact Cliff/DAG if you're in a serious way.

Last edited by usefultree; 07-27-2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Traction!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:07 AM

What a beauty! welcome back. Always admire your guitars.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Dreams for sure!

Let's just keep looking and dreaming about this one. Sweet and truly bump-able.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 PM

And another shout for this kit of kits before I dive back in the shadows.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:43 PM

Default Nigel Forster archtop - euro/cocobolo & EIR neck - ahora para mortales y valientes

Still here, still state of the art. Now $6.5K.

https://www.destroyallguitars.com/ne...amois-preowned

Talked w/ Cliff at Destroy ALL Guitars after word re Nigel's shop theft shared around (mine was the adi/wenge S-HO, still missing). W/ some folks now establishing a market pace for rare Forster builds, figured we'd revisit the archtop and take a starboard tack. Back pages re Samois posted above, and here, though Nigel's own essay on his archtop genealogy far and away the best of the reads. You understand the strategic patience and resilience of the maker (am also sidewinder-reminded of this analogy)*.

https://www.destroyallguitars.com/pd...easJourney.pdf

Would mention Samois was/is $9.5K new (and after customs and conversion fees, by the time it crossed the pond flirted w/ $10.5K) and Nigel isn't shipping rosewood guitars to the US anymore - a stance which comes across w/ a little more edge when Nigel tells it.

Samois has a deeper body than his other archtops, more simpatico w/ the dimensions acoustic players are used to.

I'm a massive fan --- and I'd fear to claim patron --- of his way into innovation, and have a wake of guitar-bouzouki and tenor guitars to show for it, bewitched by the energy of his instruments, and the Samois kop was motivated by captivation around the instrument as a design artifact - this is as much sculpture as a Richard Serra weathered steel maze, and a visual master class in composition and resolution - and also operating under this delusion that I'd suddenly wake up and start laying it down like Jim Hall in the Guiffre 3 or New England free music skronkers across generations --- when brute truth is I'm a banjo frailer and fiddle sawyer, and otherwise flow down the lazy river of American Primitive, but I'm trying Ringo, trying real heard for the more crooked angles and rhythm autopsies of 60s britguit folk.

Sometimes you're comfortable w/ too much kit, sometimes it wants to punch its weight and asks you to get out of its way.

The professional video Nigel recorded for/with Samois still worth checking out on its own merits

And though it's a jazz standard played on another NK Forster archtop guitar I'd recommend to understand the range and its potential for expression, that stills the earth --- and can choke me up on a good day.

Usual rider: I'm happy to speak to the Samois' equities via PM here, but soft recons or serious plays please contact Cliff at DAG directly.

*J. Ive on Steve Jobs: "And just as Steve loved ideas, and loved making stuff, he treated the process of creativity with a rare and a wonderful reverence. You see, I think he better than anyone understood that while ideas ultimately can be so powerful, they begin as fragile, barely formed thoughts, so easily missed, so easily compromised, so easily just squished."

Last edited by usefultree; 07-26-2018 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Traction!
Old 08-09-2018, 06:50 PM

_ _ _ _ long time silent running. taking the submarine to surface _ _ _
Old 08-22-2018, 07:05 PM

________ steady as she goes _________ _______ ____ \
/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
archtop, cocobolo, forster, japan