The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-27-2003, 08:25 AM

Default Review: Jackson Browne concert

Saw Jackson Browne live, solo acoustic, last week at a small venue, about 1,800 seats. Looked sold out. It was just Browne, an electric piano, and a dozen acoustic guitars. It was a fantastic show and I'm really the biggest Browne fan. I saw his full band warm up for Tom Petty a couple years ago. And, I like most of his hits and have three of his records.

"An Evening with Jackson Browne", his approach to the show reminded me of Neil Young's "Silver & Gold" DVD concert. He has a large catalog of tunes and many covers he likes and he meandered, picking the next song seemingly in real time. I'm told that both the order and the content of his set was 50% different than the show he played three nights before. Gotta love that. Highpoints:

- Browne classics that didn't disappoint: Tender is the Night, Runnin' on Empty, Doctor My Eyes, Fountain of Sorrow, For Everyman, I'm Alive, Rosie, Your Bright Baby Blues, etc. (I would have also loved to hear Something Fine, Somebody's Baby, and Take it Easy (among others) too, but no dice.

- His covers: Opened the show with a funny Warren Zevon cover "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" and the traditional Dylan style cover of "Man of Constant Sorrow". He closed the show with a Little Steven cover "I Am a Patriot".

The Little Steven cover and perhaps a lesser known Browne song, "In the Shape of a Heart", were the best performances of the night for me. But, it was all good. If anybody is considering checking out one of his solo performances on this tour, I highly recommend it. I'd gladly pay to see it again.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 10-27-2003, 08:42 AM

Default Sounds good...

Thanks for the review, samchar. I am a big fan of Jackson Browne, since the "Pretender" days. He can write some really good songs(and some corny ones too!) and a big talent.
Don't agree with some his political views tho.

I got to catch this concert. What kind of guitars was he sportin'?

bukwheat
94 gibson chet atkins nylon
99 gibson les paul tv jr
81 ovation legend
06 Godin synth
79 ovation 1624
Old 10-27-2003, 10:32 AM

Must have been a great show! I am a Browne fan too. Some great tunes on the CD I just picked up-"the next voice you hear". It's a best of disc for anyone interested in getting a good sampling of some of his stuff.
Alvarez Classical
Ovation Custom Legend
Fender Telecaster(s)
Fender Std. Jazz Bass
Warjam Strat
Taylor 210
Old 10-27-2003, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the review. I'm a big fan since the Saturate Before Using days. My wife is an even bigger fan. I think, the night before the Indi gig, he played a small theatre in Morristown, NJ. We tried desperately to get tix, but it was sold out overnight. Maybe next time around
Old 10-27-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Sounds good...

Quote:
Originally posted by bukwheat
Thanks for the review, samchar. I am a big fan of Jackson Browne, since the "Pretender" days. He can write some really good songs(and some corny ones too!) and a big talent.
Don't agree with some his political views tho.

I got to catch this concert. What kind of guitars was he sportin'?

bukwheat
By the way, he played "The Pretender" acoustic. Very good.

Believe it or not, I couldn't make out most of the guitars. I don't think there was a Taylor up there. Mainly dreads and OM/GA's though. I saw a Guild up there. I think I also saw a Gibson dread or OM/GA, but no jumbos that I could see. He also played an OM/GA sunburst with a florentine cutaway quite a bit, but I couldn't make out the branding on it. I was astonished at how accomplished a guitarist Browne is. Playing solo, you could hear his picking loud and clear and he was dead-on picking and some real gutbucket acoustic blues stuff. I always had Browne marked for a "3-4 chords and the truth" kinda guy. You know, know the piano and guitar, write the songs, play the chords, get collaborators and hire a professional guitarists, etc. That's simply NOT the case here. He's really good. Maybe not Willie Nelson good, but good nonetheless.

FYI to anyone interested. Jackson Browne has a concert/rockumentary DVD out called "Going Home" that is one of the best music DVD's out there. I couldn't find it new so I had to get it second-hand on amazon. It's fantastic. On that DVD, I saw that he did play one Taylor, but seems like there were quite a few Gibsons and Takamines. And, of course, a stratocaster with Vox for the electric setup just like when I saw him live a few years back. Runnin' into the sun but I'm runnin' behind.....
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes

Last edited by samchar; 10-27-2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:15 AM

I know that Jackson plays at least a couple of McAlister's, he has long supported small luthiers. For factory guitars he often plays some older Gibsons . The following link will tell you about one of his most recent guitars.
http://www.mcalisterguitars.com/drea...l#smeckalister
Old 10-31-2003, 10:38 AM

Just scored tickets for this show (JB solo acoustic) next week in Rockford, IL. I am thrilled!

Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification