The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Default What Mods Have You Done to Your Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster?

I purchased a Squier Classic Vibe 50s telecaster (butterscotch blonde) recently and could not be happier with the guitar. I own several other guitars, a couple of which are considered "higher end," but I really love this guitar. There really isn't much I can think to change on this guitar, except for a professional set up and a new set of .10 gauge strings. I was just curious to see if there are any other Squier Classic Vibe 50s telecaster owners out there who have done any mods on their guitar. If so, what did you do?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:11 AM

My only mod so far has been to put an ashtray cover on the bridge, and of course that's just for looks. Otherwise, I like it just the way it is.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Not your particular guitar but in the same vein, I acquired a Squire Vintage modified Jaguar, very inexpensive at around 3 bills. The one and only improvement was to replace the nut with a Graphtech nut. Made a very wonderful playing guitar even better. Great tone, (which improved after the nut replacement), stays in tune, and well ..... its just a great guitar for the money.

If you are happy with the tone and pickups, the only area you can really improve on that model is the nut and bridge saddles. I would do the nut first, then if the mood and funds allow, do the saddles.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 10-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Default Re:

Thanks for the replies! Right now, I just plan to have the guitar set up and a new set of strings put on (.10 gauge GHS Boomers). I don't have any issues at all with the guitar going out of tune, but I'll probably get a tusq nut installed down the road. Other than that, I really love the guitar and can't imagine changing anything else. These are such great guitars for the price (IMHO)!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 PM

Default Just the "Fezz Parka" mod...

...well, at least that's what it's called at the tdpri. I would have reversed the control plate at the same time, but the leads weren't long enough, and I was too lazy to mess with it. I never got back to it, but have thought a bit about turning it into an esquire, which seems to be very popular for this line.

Some people have complained about the pots and switch, but until mine start acting up, I'm leaving them in. These are great axes--I originally was to buy an Am. Std., but everyone was out of stock at the time. That was several months ago, and while another guitar sounds like fun, I just don't feel like I *need* to upgrade past this one.

The best part of this guitar is that I don't worry about dinging it or taking it out to gigs. If something happened to it, I would replace it the next day, but I'd only be out a few bills.

Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification