The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 PM

Default McKnight Walnut / LS Redwood Build thread

Tim's been working on my guitar for a few weeks now, and Mary's been busy snapping pictures and sending them to me.

This guitar is made from 1700's walnut and LS Redwood. I'm using Tim's hollow-back option, his double-sides (standard on all his guitars now), and a single LS redwood top.

It's supposed to be ready in time for the Healdsburg Guitar Festival later this year.

Here are the pictures. I'll try to keep the picture website updated, and bump the thread when there are new pictures to show.

http://www.neonlightsimaging.com/McK...redwood_Build/

Note: The main page shows thumbnails of all the images. If you click on a picture, you can see a larger version. You can also go directly from one image to the next without having to go back to the Thumbnails page if you wish.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Tim's been working on my guitar for a few weeks now, and Mary's been busy snapping pictures and sending them to me.

This guitar is made from 1700's walnut and LS Redwood. I'm using Tim's hollow-back option, his double-sides (standard on all his guitars now), and a single LS redwood top.

It's supposed to be ready in time for the Healdsburg Guitar Festival later this year.

Here are the pictures. I'll try to keep the picture website updated, and bump the thread when there are new pictures to show.

http://www.neonlightsimaging.com/McK...redwood_Build/

Note: The main page shows thumbnails of all the images. If you click on a picture, you can see a larger version. You can also go directly from one image to the next without having to go back to the Thumbnails page if you wish.
Thanks for posting the pics. Man that should be one "rich chocolate" sounding guitar. I look forward to your review when you get it. Enjoy the journey and here's a pre-welcome to the Mcknight family of guitar owners

~ Ray ~
Martin '22 0000-18 Gruhn Sinker
Pre-War ‘23 OM Adi/Granadillo
Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 PM
*mahoganut*

Default That's fun!

Thanks for the thread. That was fascinating walking through the slides.

I'll look forward to seeing it at Healdsburg!

rr/Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safricanplayer View Post
Thanks for posting the pics. Man that should be one "rich chocolate" sounding guitar. I look forward to your review when you get it. Enjoy the journey and here's a pre-welcome to the Mcknight family of guitar owners
Thanks for the welcome. But, I already own four McKnights. And bought another one for a friend.

Yes, I think this guitar will definitely have a "rich chocolate" sound to it. I've heard the tap tone of the walnut back and of the LS redwood top that we chose. Both have a very deep ring to them.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
That was fascinating walking through the slides.

I'll look forward to seeing it at Healdsburg!
Mary takes a lot of great pictures, doesn't she? It's almost as good as being there. Probably better for Tim, because I'd probably bug him to death if I were watching.

I should be at Healdsburg (at least the last day) to pick it up. Feel free to pick her up and play her (gently ) and let me know what you think.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Thanks for the welcome. But, I already own four McKnights. And bought another one for a friend.

Yes, I think this guitar will definitely have a "rich chocolate" sound to it. I've heard the tap tone of the walnut back and of the LS redwood top that we chose. Both have a very deep ring to them.
Oops, I guess you should be re-welcoming me. Listen, Mcknights are ALL GOOD and if some of that Stimulus package trickles down to me, I'd love to reinvest it back into the Mcknight economy!! I've been partial to that LS Redwood and would LOVE a guitar built with it.

~ Ray ~
Martin '22 0000-18 Gruhn Sinker
Pre-War ‘23 OM Adi/Granadillo
Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 PM

I love how there's a plate of cookies right on the workbench. That's my kind of guitar building!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperboy View Post
I love how there's a plate of cookies right on the workbench. That's my kind of guitar building!
That was between Christmas and New Years.

Mary doesn't make Tim suffer . . . just makes him WORK during the holidays.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 PM

I just updated the pictures . . with nine more pictures . . between 1166 and 1175 (1170 not included).

You may have to refresh the main page (use F5 for you PC folks) to see them in thumbnail form.

And you may have to refresh on the picture just before 1166 if you're going through them that way (without going to the thumbnail page).

Sorry for the inconvenience. I discovered a couple of emails from Mary that I hadn't downloaded yet.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM

thanks for posting the pics!

I look forward to meeting your guitar someday :-)

*everything* is a tone control
Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Liberty Trio

Interesting!

I talked to Tim when they were out here for the Downey Get2Gether (and some lesser event down in OC) and mentioned that I had thought of maybe someday having a guitar made of walnut and redwood.

He said that it was a great combination and would sound great. He did NOT say that he was building one!

'87 Guild GF-30 Bld (blonde)
'89 Seagull S-Black Velvet
'06 R. Taylor Series 1 (koa)
All 3 Taylor Liberty Tree Guitars
2 mandolins, 2 dulcimers, 1 mandola, 2 bodhrans

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."
--Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"
Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 AM

Tim it looks like another McKnight masterpiece and your attention to detail is evident from the first pic's.
One day mate i hope to have you build me one.
Songwriterfan you must be getting quite the collection now mate do you still have your maccassar T5 and GS from memory?
This looks like the cream of the crop and i would love to hear that 1700's walnut.
Congrates on a fine guitar in the making.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125
Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
Tim it looks like another McKnight masterpiece and your attention to detail is evident from the first pic's.
One day mate i hope to have you build me one.
This looks like the cream of the crop and i would love to hear that 1700's walnut.
Congrates on a fine guitar in the making.
Thanks for the kind words folks. It looks like SWF has been busy compiling pictures. I didn't realize how busy Mary has been with the camera. She sneaks up on me, in stealth mode and I don't even know she is there. I am blessed to have her as a partner!

Coldshot,
Thanks so much for the "package". We sure have been enjoying your land from a distance look forward to finally meeting you one day.

Raulb,
It was good to see you again at the G2G. The sunburst guitar I had there is made from the same late 1700's Walnut that SWF's guitar is being built from.

Pepperboy,
Would your username have anything to do with hot peppers? Ummm umm, I love hot peppers I went on the wagon about a month ago and have been watching my sweet intake. I overdid it over the holidays and nearly OD on sugar ;(
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 AM

Awesome, I love watching Tim's build's, very exciting.

What is LS redwood, a type of sinker?

Tim, just out of curiosity, why do you prefer double sides?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM

LS stands for "Lucky Strike". It's not a sinker redwood.

This page has a bit about the log and it's story:

http://www.goodacoustics.com/collaboration1.htm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion