The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2021, 01:13 AM

Default 'Floaters' in your eyes.

Started experiencing some peripheral flashing and new, larger 'floater' in my left eye last week.

Got it checked - no tearing of the retina which was good news.

Flashing has decreased today but I have a big new monster 'floater' that is mighty annoying - like having a hair or dust or piece of fluff on your eyeball that you can see but can't feel.

Anyone had similar experience? I believe it's a fairly common age-related occurrence.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-18-2021, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Started experiencing some peripheral flashing and new, larger 'floater' in my left eye last week.

Flashing has decreased today but I have a big new monster 'floater' that is mighty annoying - like having a hair or dust or piece of fluff on your eyeball that you can see but can't feel.

Anyone had similar experience? I believe it's a fairly common age-related occurrence.
I used to get them with high blood pressure. Ocular migraines.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi Bruce, its all a part of the joys of growing old. I went though this a couple of years ago. I got the lightning flashes and the floaters, and was told to "rush" to A&E who diagnosed a detached retina, and sent me to he eye clinic (over a hundred other old folk waiting!) They diagnosed torn retina (less serious tan detached) They fixed up a time for me to go to another hosptial for laser suigery.

Got there, they scanned my eye - said they couldn't find the tear.
Sent me home.
I, and a few old friends also have permanent floaters and strange "blurs" .

Had my eyes tested a couple of weeks ago, they said it was my best eye - as I have a cataract growing in my left!

As I understand it the retina and he eyeball lose their flexibility over time and slight tears occur in the join. the floaters are minuscule blood spills which tend to dissipate over time ... or get replaced!

The NHS response seems to be "You're old - get used to it!"

It might be better in Oz, so seek advice.

Welcome to the club!
Old 09-18-2021, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Great, something else to look forward to....
Old 09-18-2021, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:

Today, I had my right eye zapped with a laser, to correct a problem from previous cataract surgery... It cleared up my vision, but the floaters it left me with, are like walking around in a swarm of flies! The Doc says that might continue for as long as two weeks! It's terribly annoying!

Don
Old 09-18-2021, 05:33 AM

Yup…been there, done that. As I recall, they vanished on their own after a couple weeks.

Floaters, trigger finger, tinnitus, hearing loss, joint pain, insomnia, high blood pressure, colonoscopies, upper GI’s, acid reflux…this growing old crap is not for sissies!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:56 AM

Thanks everyone.

My blood pressure and blood sugar have been super good this year - I've lost 18 kgs (over 39.5 pounds) since December last year and I'm feeling quite good - but this thing is really annoying!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 09-18-2021, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

The bad news is it may never go away. I’ve had a large floating smudge in one eye for more than 10 years. Doc says when it annoying enough, they can fix it. Not quite there yet.

Relatively simple outpatient operation called a vitrectomy. They basically remove the vitreous humor (the jelly like fluid) the floater is sloshing around in and there you go. Minimal expected side effect.

Not unlike cataracts, you get it done when it gets bad enough that you go demand that it be done.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:10 AM

I had them pretty frequently for awhile, now they have mostly gone away, no idea why.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:14 AM

No "floater", but, I've had a cataract in my left eye for a few years now- Dr said it isn't bad enough to require surgery- I experience hard to see in my left eye clearly occasionally- some days are worse than others- and if that isn't bad enough there is an optometrist office on my way into town whose sign says how great life is when you can see clearly
Old 09-18-2021, 06:30 AM

I found this online and the Optometrist confirmed it - but I'm still having him check it again in 2 days time.

Eye floaters and flashes are both caused by the natural shrinking of the gel-like fluid in your eye (vitreous) that happens as you age. Floaters appear in your field of vision as small shapes, while flashes can look like lightening or camera flashes. Floaters are very common and typically don't require treatment.20 Aug 2020

This was also encouraging to read,

Do floaters and flashes eventually disappear? Flashes will almost always go away completely. It usually takes about a month, but sometimes it can take up to six months. Floaters will gradually get smaller and less noticeable as the weeks and months go by, but usually they never disappear completely.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 09-18-2021, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Floaters will gradually get smaller and less noticeable as the weeks and months go by, but usually they never disappear completely.
They could, but that would entail them moving downward from your field of vision. Which is possible, but doesn't always occur.
I had one show up last May in my left eye. I thought initially it was a mosquito flying near my head and I kept swatting it away. But then I noticed that it would follow me around, from left to straight on, depending on where I was looking.
So I also got my retina checked as standard procedure. All ok too.
At this time, it's still there, but nowhere near as apparent. I have to really look for it. According to my eye doctor, what can happen is that your brain gets used to it and kinda blots it out on its own and fills in what you should be seeing (like "touch up", in a manner of speaking). I think that's what happened in my case. It doesn't bother me at all and I don't really even think about it anymore.
So, let your brain do the work for you!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-18-2021, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I have them too. Right eye (dominant) is worse.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-18-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I've always had floaters as long as I can remember. All I have to do is think about them and look for them and I can see them. If I don't think about them I don't see them. At different eye doctors exams I have been asked if I see them during pre-exam questioning and my understanding is that everyone has them to some extent. It was a nonissue during my cataract surgery. Obviously my experience is different than others here.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-18-2021, 08:30 AM

Yup, I get them. Mainly in one eye. Most noticeable in bright light. Sunglasses help to make them less noticeable for me.
Nick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic