The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-24-2021, 11:47 AM

Default Can Anyone Confirm What This Wood Is

I’m considering this guitar built by one of Yulong Guo’s apprentices. The builder told the store that it’s African Rosewood/Bubinga. It clearly isn’t Bubinga. It looks quite a bit like Ovankol to me, but maybe it’s straight grained Madagascar Rosewood which would explain the name confusion? Any confirmation would be much appreciated. Thanks

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...6659&source=48

Below are some more fotos from the website.

https://calidoguitars.com/store/Cali...tar-p115882198

Last edited by Lapo; 08-24-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:54 AM

You're right, it doesn't look like Bubinga to me either.

Possibly Macassar Ebony?
Fen--2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
Tres M--2020 Baranik Meridian (Colorado Blue Spruce/Manchinga)
Ariel--2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Cocobolo)
Old 08-24-2021, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't look much like the bubinga I've seen.

But, wenge is also sometimes sold as African Rosewood. It looks more like wenge to me than bubinga, though most wenge I've seen has been darker.

Bourgeois DR-A / Martin CS D-18 (Adi & flamed hog) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E1OM / Eastman E6D
Old 08-24-2021, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I think you are right to question the interior label of "Bubinga." Bubinga does display those colors, but not--in my experience--with that kind of variegation. It's definitely not Wenge (wrong grain and color) and I don't think it's Macassar Ebony (wrong grain) so my guess is an unusually (and pleasingly) variegated Ovangkol or a Rosewood. Honestly the sides really look like a Rosewood to me.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

The pictures (all pictures, but certainly these) are inadequate for serious ID, but at an educated glance: EIR. Since Bubinga is in no way a rosewood, and African Rosewood means little to nothing unless it's Blackwood, the descriptive words are just distractions.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The pictures (all pictures, but certainly these) are inadequate for serious ID, but at an educated glance: EIR. Since Bubinga is in no way a rosewood, and African Rosewood means little to nothing unless it's Blackwood, the descriptive words are just distractions.
I agree with Bruce, it looks like East Indian Rosewood to me as well. Some classical dealers (mainly GSI) are now referring to Madagascar rosewood as African rosewood (just like how they changed Brazilian to CSA rosewood) but that doesnít look like any madagascan Iíve seen.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:26 PM

Thanks, for the responses guys. I think whether it’s EIR or MR won’t make a difference to me. If it were Ovankol, that would be different and would lead me more strongly to buy it. Could anyone say definitively that it’s not Ovankol?
Old 08-24-2021, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

My guess would be either Ovangkol or (going way out on a limb because I haven't seen it used as a tonewood) Cordia africana. I say that because Ziricote is a Cordia from Central America that is described as "rosewood-like" musically and can be striped, and I would imagine Cordia africana has good properties for guitar-making. And it is from Africa. Hence, African "rosewood".
Old 08-24-2021, 04:07 PM

Deleted...

Last edited by Lapo; 08-24-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapo View Post
Hereís a link to the actual guitar, not the stock foto. This is even more telling I think.

https://m.facebook.com/lapo.casini/a...?soft=composer

Tell me if the link doesnít work
The link doesnít work for me, can you try posting the photos on the thread itself?

Judging by this listing I feel confident that the photos listed are of an Indian Rosewood guitar and recycled from a previous ad

https://calidoguitars.com/store/Cali...ngth-p50882070
Old 08-24-2021, 04:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapo View Post
Thanks, for the responses guys. I think whether itís EIR or MR wonít make a difference to me. If it were Ovankol, that would be different and would lead me more strongly to buy it. Could anyone say definitively that itís not Ovankol?
Lapo it is unrealistic to think anyone can definitively say whether it is or is not Ovankol by looking at a picture. It looks like Indian Rosewood, like others have said. On the other hand, I can't definitively say it is not vinyl.

ďAll trees fallĒ Swifty Corwin
Old 08-24-2021, 04:32 PM

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...6659&source=48

Here’s a foto of the actual guitar which should be more telling. I also added it to the first post.

Last edited by Lapo; 08-24-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

That looks even more like EIR.

A quick search suggests that EIR is sometimes grown in Africa.

Possible that it's EIR grown and sourced from Africa, and there's just a miscommunication... seems like long odds... but?

Bourgeois DR-A / Martin CS D-18 (Adi & flamed hog) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E1OM / Eastman E6D
Old 08-24-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Lapo it is unrealistic to think anyone can definitively say whether it is or is not Ovankol by looking at a picture. It looks like Indian Rosewood, like others have said. On the other hand, I can't definitively say it is not vinyl.
Thanks Mark, for contributing your knowledge, I didn’t realize it could be so ambiguous. I’m happy to be learning.

Warfrat73- Interesting.. To me it doesn’t look much like EIR, but my knowledge is limited.

I guess it will probably remain a mystery... If I wasn’t such a midrange guy, I wouldn’t care so much...

I’m attracted to this as based on what I’ve read, the Yulong Guo workshop instruments, which include the Aiersi Hauser models and A Echoes double tops, are at an extremely high level of quality for the price, and this one which is made for Calido has a truss rod which is important for me and my lifestyle.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:17 PM

Couldnít tell. My guess is cocobolo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop