The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-16-2021, 01:33 PM

Default Elvis Costello giving a how to play guitar lesson on audible.com

Nice little article.

https://people.com/music/elvis-coste...ible-original/
Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 PM

Thanks for that. It makes me feel better about my own aural approach to "playing".
Old 09-17-2021, 07:21 AM

Cool. I've always like what Elvis Costello puts out. I'll have to check that audio book out.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

One of the great mistakes of my musical fan life was not going to see Elvis at the Stone Pony when he first came to America. I was in The Pony a few nights every week in the winter back then but I thought ''this guy's BS, I don't need to waste my time. Boy was I wrong, the people who went to see him were raving about him!
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I saw him at a club in downtown Kansas City in 1979 (or maybe '80). Wasn't exactly blown away, but I bought his first few albums and gradually came to appreciate his unique talent.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:45 AM

I admire the range of what he tries to do quite a bit, and when he hits the mark I enjoy the results. I thought his short-lived songwriter interview series "Spectacle" was excellent.

I read about this roughly 90 minute Audible program. Looking at things, I see it's part of a series Audible is doing, an lot of other interesting artists doing something with their 90 minutes at about $7 a pop, or most "included in Plus membership."

[URL="https://www.audible.com/series/Words-Music-Audiobooks/B08JD4NTB1"]Audible Words and Music series[/URL

On first glance it appears that it's sort of a cross between MasterClass and a "stories behind the songs" deal. I don't know how much the presenter gets out of the revenue pie, but I'm not against new revenue sources for artists.

Anyone heard the Elvis Costello episode or any of the others? What did you think?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-17-2021, 12:05 PM

I listened to a quite interesting podcast /essay about the creative process which posited that some 'works of genius' arrive fully-formed, almost instinctual whilst others are chiselled out by hard labour subject to multiple (and sometimes never-ending reworkings) before they reveal themselves
The author uses Elvis' song 'Deportee' along with Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' to make his point (alongside the methods of Paul Cezanne). Dylan and Picasso are given examples of more instinctual genius.
Elvis fans might be interested. The podcast is called Hallelujah and the author is Malcolm Gladwell.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:03 PM

Elvis is a fantastic songwriter and singer but his guitar playing seems pretty basic straightforward rock and roll to me, unless I'm missing gsomething.I think he'd do well to teach songwriting since that's where he shines.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Elvis is a fantastic songwriter and singer but his guitar playing seems pretty basic straightforward rock and roll to me, unless I'm missing gsomething.I think he'd do well to teach songwriting since that's where he shines.
I've gathered from some of the write-ups of the Audible program the OP was mentioning, is that is what he presents: that you can make music that satisfies without a lot of technique.

Still waiting for an AGF'er review of it though.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write