The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-05-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Well said. And I hate to break it to everyone, but The Cranberries song was released in 1994, which qualifies it as "classic" rock. 60s/70s/80s is considered "oldies" to many.
I am younger than many of you, but not as young as I used to be. (I know Zombie well, and distinctly remember listening to it on a friend's dad's CD player.)

I was driving my son home from school a few weeks ago, listening to a classic rock radio station. The song "Machinehead" by Bush came on the radio. At first I was like "I love this song" but then I realized that the first release on the CD I got for my birthday while I was a freshman . . . was now classic rock.

I know you've all been there, but that story seemed at least tangentially relevant here. Tangentially.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I loved Dolores' voice... such a unique tone with that Irish lilt... and she was a gifted songwriter. Another music tragedy. RIP

Old 08-06-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
I am younger than many of you, but not as young as I used to be. (I know Zombie well, and distinctly remember listening to it on a friend's dad's CD player.)

I was driving my son home from school a few weeks ago, listening to a classic rock radio station. The song "Machinehead" by Bush came on the radio. At first I was like "I love this song" but then I realized that the first release on the CD I got for my birthday while I was a freshman . . . was now classic rock.

I know you've all been there, but that story seemed at least tangentially relevant here. Tangentially.
It's interesting how popular Bush was in the States, but not so much in the U.K., where Britpop dominated the mid-90s. And Rossdale / Stefani were a music power couple from that time period.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

I’m 76 …..never heard of the Zombies.
Am I missing something or can I go back to sleep ?
Old 08-14-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George6654 View Post
Yes you are, but I'm certain you've heard their biggest hit "She's Not There" if you've turned on a radio anytime since 1965.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
...but I'm certain you've heard their biggest hit "She's Not There"...
Haha! Oh, those Zombies. That was a definite hit in the 60s.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-14-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Yes you are, but I'm certain you've heard their biggest hit "She's Not There" if you've turned on a radio anytime since 1965.
Recorded in late 64 hit the US market in Jan of 65
It did reach Number 2 on Billboards top 100
I posted it in the last post of the previous page but here it is again

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-14-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_B View Post
That guitar teacher just wanted to teach an easy song. It makes his life easier.

For laughs, ask him that yeah, I am old school and I want to learn “Dust In The Wind” from Kansas.
I guess nobody told me Dust in the Wind was difficult. One of the easiest songs I learned 30 years ago.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I loved Dolores' voice... such a unique tone with that Irish lilt... and she was a gifted songwriter. Another music tragedy. RIP

She was a hysterical person. I met her backstage after a show in Pittsburgh in the mid 90s. My last name is Polish but both my mother’s parents were from County Clare. We also lived 5 houses from my Grandma and I spent a lot of time with her and even developed a bit of a brogue. Anyway the conversation went something like this:

Me: I loved the show and your voice made me think of someone I miss.
DO:Are you Irish?
Me: Yes. Half on my mom’s side.
DO: What’s your last name?
Me: ————ski
DO: Don’t think I know any ————-ski’s
Me: ( in my best attempt at accent and intonation) Well we’re a small clan from an island off the coast of Clare. Tis a wee spit of rock but it is gargeous.

She looks at me stunned, throws her arms around me and shouts at the band, “Boys meet me long lost brother, mom always thought she lost one on the way home from hospital.” Really funny and genuine.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlynz View Post
She was a hysterical person. I met her backstage after a show in Pittsburgh in the mid 90s. My last name is Polish but both my mother’s parents were from County Clare. We also lived 5 houses from my Grandma and I spent a lot of time with her and even developed a bit of a brogue. Anyway the conversation went something like this:

Me: ( in my best attempt at accent and intonation) Well we’re a small clan from an island off the coast of Clare. Tis a wee spit of rock but it is gargeous.

She looks at me stunned, throws her arms around me and shouts at the band, “Boys meet me long lost brother, mom always thought she lost one on the way home from hospital.” Really funny and genuine.

So what happened to her?
Old 08-14-2021, 08:40 PM

O'Riordan died by drowning due to alcohol intoxication in January 2018. Wikipedia
Old 08-15-2021, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

What a great story! Thanks for the telling. She seemed a lovely person (and yes, a but of an odd duck, as well)...
Old 08-17-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
O'Riordan died by drowning due to alcohol intoxication in January 2018. Wikipedia
So sad. I'm convinced that alcoholism is 100 percent hereditary judging by the relatives and people I've know with the affliction. I thank God I don't suffer from it. In fact never found alcohol appealing in taste.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:19 PM

Enjoyed this thread. If any of you old codgers (just kidding - I'm in my 60s myself) would like a trip down memory lane you're welcome to a copy of my songbook. Over 900 songs and you just may recognize some of these folks from back when most phones still hung on a wall:

ROY ACUFF/ADELE/ALABAMA/AMERICA/LYNN ANDERSON/JULIE ANDREWS/THE ANDREWS SISTERS/THE ANIMALS/THE ARCHIES/LOUIS ARMSTRONG/EDDY ARNOLD/GENE AUTRY/BAD COMPANY/JOAN BAEZ/THE BAND/THE BANGLES/THE BEACH BOYS/THE BEATLES/THE BEE GEES/HARRY BELAFONTE/BENNY BELL/THE BELLAMY BROTHERS/CHUCK BERRY/NORMAN BLAKE/FRED BLASSIE/BLONDIE/SUZY BOGGUSS/RAY BOLGER/BOXCAR WILLIE/THE BOX TOPS/BREAD/GARTH BROOKS/BETTY BUCKLEY/BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD/JIMMY BUFFETT/THE BYRDS/CANNED HEAT/GLEN CAMPBELL/HENSON CARGILL/KIM CARNES/MARY CHAPIN CARPENTER/THE CARTER FAMILY/JOHNNY CASH/EVA CASSIDY/HARRY CHAPIN/CHEAP TRICK/CHICAGO/ERIC CLAPTON/PATSY CLINE/LEONARD COHEN/JUDY COLLINS/THE CONTOURS/SAM COOKE/BRADLEY COOPER/COVEN/CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL/JIM CROCE/BING CROSBY/CROSBY, STILLS, AND NASH/THE CRYSTALS/BILLY CURRINGTON/LACY J. DALTON/DANNY AND THE JUNIORS/BOBBY DARIN/MAC DAVIS/SKEETER DAVIS/DORIS DAY/JOHN DENVER/JACKIE DESHANNON/NEIL DIAMOND/LITTLE JIMMY DICKENS/DION/DIRE STRAITS/DIXIE CHICKS/DIXIE CUPS/DOCTOR HOOK/THE DOORS/THE DRIFTERS/BOB DYLAN/EAGLES/ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA/ELMO & PATSY/OGDEN EDSL/EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER/ENYA/THE EVERLY BROTHERS/FISHERMAN'S FRIENDS/FIVE MAN ELECTRICAL BAND/ROBERTA FLACK/FLATT & SCRUGGS/JOHNNY FLYNN/JOHN FOGERTY/THE FOLKSMEN/THE FOUNDATIONS/TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD/DAVID FRIZELL/LEFTY FRIZELL/BOBBY FULLER/JUDY GARLAND/BOBBI GENTRY/GERRY AND THE PACEMAKERS/DON GIBSON/VINCE GILL/VERN GOSDIN/GRAND FUNK RAILROAD/NANCI GRIFFITH/NORMAN GREENBAUM/ARLO GUTHRIE/WOODY GUTHRIE/MERLE HAGGARD/BILL HALEY & THE COMETS/JACK HALEY/TOM T. HALL/EMMYLOU HARRIS/GEORGE HARRISON/HERMAN'S HERMITS/HIGHWAY 101/THE HOLLIES/BUDDY HOLLY/MARY HOPKINS/HOOTIE AND THE BLOWFISH/JOHNNY HORTON/WHITNEY HOUSTON/BRYAN HYLAND/ERIC IDLE/THE IRISH ROVERS/BURL IVES/J. GEILS BAND/ALAN JACKSON/TOMMY JAMES AND THE SHONDELLS/JAN AND DEAN/JEFFERSON AIRPLANE/WAYLON JENNINGS/JINDER/BILLY JOEL/ELTON JOHN/TOM JONES/GEORGE JONES/JANIS JOPLIN/THE JUDDS/KANSAS/ROBERT EARL KEEN JR./THE KENDALLS/KENTUCKY HEADHUNTERS/BEN E. KING/CAROLE KING/THE KINGSMEN/KINGSTON TRIO/THE KINKS/MARK KNOPFLER/ALISON KRAUSS/KRIS KRISTOFFERSON/THE LA'S/LADY GAGA/BERT LAHR/FRANKIE LAINE/LED ZEPPELIN/BRENDA LEE/THE LEFT BANKE/JOHN LENNON/GORDON LIGHTFOOT/LITTLE EVA/LIND, HOLM, FUENTES, NILSON/LITTLE PEGGY MARCH/LITTLE RICHARD/LOBO/TRINI LOPEZ/LOS LOBOS/PATTY LOVELESS/LYLE LOVETT/LORETTA LYNN/MANFRED MANN/DEAN MARTIN/MARSHALL TUCKER BAND/JOHNNY MATHIS/KATHY MATTEA/THE MAVERICKS/PAUL MCCARTNEY/THE MCCOYS/JOHN MCDERMOTT/REBA MCENTIRE/BARRY MCGUIRE/DON MCLEAN/HARRY MCCLINTOCK/MEAT LOAF/JOHN MELLENCAMP/MEYER & DRAKE/GLENN MILLER/ROGER MILLER/RONNIE MILSAP/MITCH AND MICKEY/THE MONKEES/MONTY PYTHON/THE MOODY BLUES/VAN MORRISON/THE MOUSKETEERS/ANNE MURRAY/MICHAEL MARTINMURPHEY/NAZARETH/RICKY NELSON/TIM BLAKE NELSON/WILLIE NELSON/MICHAEL NESMITH/THE NEW MAIN STREET SINGERS/JUICE NEWTON/HARRY NILSSON/NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND/OAK RIDGE BOYS/ROY ORBISON/JANICE ORENSTEIN/BUCK OWENS/ELAINE PAIGE/ROBERT PALMER/GRAM PARSONS/DOLLY PARTON/THE PENGUINS/PENTATONIX/CARL PERKINS/PETER, PAUL AND MARY/TOM PETTY/WILSON PICKETT/PINK FLOYD/RAY PRICE/CHARLIE PRIDE/ELVIS PRESLEY/JOHN PRINE/THE PROCLAIMERSPURE PRAIRIE LEAGUE/QUEEN/ROBERT RAGAINI/BONNIE RAITT/DAVID RAWLINGS/R.E.M./JIM REEVES/REO SPEEDWAGON/DEBBIE REYNOLDS/THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS/JEANIE C. RILEY/JOHNNY RIVERS/MARTY ROBBINS/JIMMY RODGERS/KENNY ROGERS/THE ROLLING STONES/LINDA RONSTADT/TOM ROUSH/ROSE & THE ARRANGEMENT/BARRY SADLER/MELANIE SAFKA/SAM THE SHAM & THE PHARAOHS/SAWYER BROWN/PETE SEEGER/THE SEEKERS/BOB SEGER/DEL SHANNON/PAUL SIMON/SIMON AND GARFUNKEL/FRANK SINATRA/RICKY SKAGGS/KATE SMITH/THE SOGGY BOTTOM BOYS/SONS OF THE PIONEERS/THE SPANIELS/SPINAL TAP/BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN/JIM STAFFORD/RINGO STARR/STATLER BROTHERS/STEPPENWOLF/AL STEWART/ROD STEWART/CAT STEVENS/STING/STOMPIN' TOM CONNORS/NOEL PAUL STOOKEY/STORM SEEKER/GEORGE STRAIT/THE SUPREMES/THE SURFARIS/SWEETHEARTS OF THE RODEO/T. REX/JAMES TAYLOR/THE TEMPTATIONS/THE TERRYTOONERS/GEORGE THOROGOOD/THREE DOG NIGHT/TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA/TRAVELING WILBURYS/RANDY TRAVIS/DAN TYMINSKI/BONNIE TYLER/THE TURTLES/GENE VINCENT/BOBBY VINTON/LOUDON WAINWRIGHT III/WILLIE WATSON/THE WEAVERS/GILLIAN WELCH/MARY WELLS/SHELLY WEST/THE WHITES/KEITH WHITLEY/THE WHO/DON WILLIAMS/HANK WILLIAMS/HANK WILLIAMS JR./BOB WILLS/MAC WISEMAN/SHEB WOOLEY/TAMMY WYNETTE/TRISHA YEARWOOD/DWIGHT YOAKAM/NEIL YOUNG/THE YOUNGBLOODS/THE ZOMBIES/ZZ TOP

(And BTW I like the Cranberries but their music doesn't translate well acoustically . . . although "Animal Instinct" is going into the next update. )

Al

https://songbook19.my-free.website/

Martin HD-35
Martin D-18
Taylor 814ce TSB
Taylor 522e 12-fret
Taylor 514ce
Taylor 355 12-string
Alvarez ABT610e Baritone 6
Yamaha C-40
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge

G4V Cyber Instructor
Old 08-22-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George6654 View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write