The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2001, 09:12 AM

Post Super Solos - Johnny Norris

There was a discussion link on this forum earlier that suggested the above book for fingerstyle blues. I checked the reference and the book is out of print. Does anyone have a copy for sale or know of a shop with one in stock? Amazon is searching for an out of print version of his "Blues Solos for Acoustic Guitar", but I, of course, want both (**** yuppies!). Email me directly if you like: [email protected].

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2001, 02:28 PM

Only about 1/3 of the book is blues. The book covers a variety of different types of music (blues, celtic, ragtime, etc.).
The majority of the tunes use alternating bass.

GL
Old 03-05-2001, 05:13 PM

Smile

galejt-

I've edited this....

I was telling a friend of mine about the 'Super Solos' book and he told me he had a book called 'Blues Solos for Acoustic Guitar' by the same guy - Johnny Norris. I've borrowed it - I like this book! (comes with a tape or CD...I've got the tape.)

I have no idea where your're playing level is at. Theres's 16 songs in this book....the first 6 or so are very very basic....then he starts getting into alternating bass ...that makes things of course more complicated and interesting....but these are in fact very easy to play also - perhaps! - depends where you're at - some of them are quite fun.,,(have you worked through Mark Hanson's books?)....the last few songs of the book however are killer...they're at the level of the 'Super Solos' book (sort of..they're much shorter...and after all, the book is meant to be instructional instead of just entertaining...they're not quite at that level, but they do start to show how slick this guy is) ....a song called 'Mean Street' would alone make this book worth purchasing I think...a headturner...fun....and as most blues tunes - simpler than it sounds...another one called 'Eight Bars on the Highway' is just too cool....lots of bends.....darn good example of VI - II - V - I (I should say VI7 - II7 - V7 - I7.....makes for a good song to try and expand on...at the very very very very least add on the b7 to the B at the end and add the 3rd to the E right after that a half beat early...I think he purposely leaves those out just to make it a little more playable.....

This guy is very good at demonstrating

syncopation
anticipation
bending in an acoustic solo
very catchy but simple turnarounds (awfully good at using counterpoint)

the tape is oriented like a lesson...he talks you through the tunes.....he's quite interesting with some sort of United Kingdom accent...

Again, I don't know where you are at in your playing....did you read what I wrote about Mark Hanson's books/CD's in a post called 'Excellent Fingerstyle Instruction Books/CD's' in the general discussion area - ESSENTIAL STUFF if you want books that will help you develop fingerpicking skills in a very structured way. I think they're worth checking out even if you think you already pick well.

You can find this Johnny Norris blues book on the internet...

Elderly Instruments (elderly.com) and Music Books Plus (musicbooksplus.com) seem to have it in stock.....

[ 03-06-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]

[ 03-06-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]

[ 03-10-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-06-2001, 09:43 AM

Smile

Any folks out there from across the Atlantic know anything about this player named Johnny Norris?

I can't seem to find out anything about him from the internet....I'd like to find out that there's a bunch of books available from him....very good player.......
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification