The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 PM

If a band can't play their stuff acoustically like that, they aren't worth seeing!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 PM

The classical guitar being played is a Takamine EC 132C. The newer version is the TC132SC (with Cool Tube Pre-amp). Both are great guitars and record really well. I'm a steel-string player at heart but the TC is one of my favorite guitars.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM

Rich, I believe Glenn Frey is playing the 12-string.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Saw Stills last Friday at the House of Blues in Hollywood. Joe Walsh came out and played a couple of tunes with Stills. They brought the house down, sounded great together. Did Rocky Mtn. High, of course.

I was surprised how well Joe looked, compared to some past shots of him.
yea, but how did Stephen sound??????? can you give us a little review on Stills????????? what all did he play?????????
Old 07-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjay540 View Post
ahh the memories, I lived in San Diego back then. The first time I saw the Eagles they opened for Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstandt (Linda was the headliner, the story was the Eagles met doing studio work for her).
I was there too!!! That was the most talent I'd seen assembled anywhere! Wasn't it Jackson Browne that opened the show?

I remember David Lindley at some point playing with everybody on stage. Then they called out JD Souther for a couple of songs. Linda Ronstadt blew EVERYONE away.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid1 View Post
I was there too!!! That was the most talent I'd seen assembled anywhere! Wasn't it Jackson Browne that opened the show?
LOL, your memory may be better than mine, that was along time ago.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Felder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
After Henley (and Frey?) fired Don Felder, Steuart Smith was added to the touring band on guitar and harmony, and he seems to play more of the signature leads than Walsh does. Joe picks his spots and rips it up when he wants to, but lets/makes Steuart do most of the heavy lifting, and he's in there very true to the original licks. Steuart Smith is also producing the new Eagles studio album - new songs, majority of the recording being done in Dallas.
From Wikipedia ---
On February 6, 2001, Don Felder was fired from the Eagles. Felder responded by filing two lawsuits against "Eagles, Ltd., a California corporation; Don Henley, an individual; Glenn Frey, an individual; and Does 1-50", alleging wrongful termination, breach of implied-in-fact contract, and breach of fiduciary duty, reportedly seeking $50,000,000 in damages.[3][4]

In his latter complaint, Felder alleged that from the 1994 Hell Freezes Over tour onward, Henley and Frey had "...insisted that they each receive a higher percentage of the band's profits...", whereas the money had previously been split in five equal portions. Felder also accused them of coercing him into signing an agreement under which Henley and Frey would receive three times as much of the Selected Works: 1972-1999 proceeds as would Felder. This box set, released in November 2000 sold approximately 267,000 copies at about $60 apiece.

On behalf of his clients Henley and Frey, attorney Daniel M. Petrocelli stated:

[Henley and Frey] felt, creatively — chemistry-wise and performance-wise — that he should no longer be part of the band.... They removed him, and they had every legal right to do so. This has been happening with rock 'n' roll bands since day one.[3]”

Henley and Frey then counter-sued Felder for breach of contract, alleging that Felder had written and attempted to sell the rights to a "tell-all" book. No such book has been published.

On January 23, 2002, the Los Angeles County Court consolidated the two complaints. Judge Mel Red Recana presides. Recana is also the author of the 1997 paperback How to Try Your Own Case in Court-And Win! (ISBN 1-880090-31-7). On May 8, 2007 the case was dismissed after being settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.
END QUOTE

In other words... Felder was fired due to Henley/Frey's greed.

The Eagles have suffered on stage without Felder. It's a shame that Henley/Frey's greed has ruined their sound. They are basically a tribute band at this point... a very high paid one at that. You never know how much you'll miss someone until he's gone. I'm sure they thought of him as just another guitarist, but he was great and if you listen to the Australia DVD and compare it against the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD... there is no comparison... The Australian DVD plain ole' sucks. Felder was not an original member of the Eagles but joined during the "On The Border" album.

Someone else mentioned the Eagles/Linda Ronstadt connection. The did not meet at a studio session. Members of the Eagles/Ronstadt/Burrito Brothers/Jackson Browne used to hang out at the Troubadour off the main drag where they took turns backing each other up. Ronstadt needed a band for a tour and snagged the early members of the Eagles for a backup band... mainly because they needed the gig! At least this was the story members of the Eagles & Ronstadt told to a BBC interviewer a few years ago. The Eagles were also her studio band for the 1972 "Linda Ronstadt" album.

Wow... I do seem to have quite a few useless facts in my brain...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:09 PM

sorry for the delay, but I just got my laptop back and reinstalled the flash player. I know we're all acoustic players, but there was a live electric version of this that featured the dual Felder/Walsh solos with some nice elaboration. Haven't seen it since the song was a hit. Does anyone have a copy they could share?

----------------

www.thetimandbobshow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell