The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Eagles - Hotel California (Unplugged)

I love this version, if you've never seen it check it out you're in for a treat

Eagles - Hotel California (Unplugged)
Old 07-16-2007, 01:18 PM

It is truly great, but I can't tell who is playing the 12string, nor where the 12-string is in the lineup, can you? Also, who is the guy playing the lead nylon part, which really is the meat of the acoustic sound, that along with the 12-string?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
It is truly great, but I can't tell who is playing the 12string, nor where the 12-string is in the lineup, can you? Also, who is the guy playing the lead nylon part, which really is the meat of the acoustic sound, that along with the 12-string?
I believe thats Don Felder playing the classical guitar.................

Quote:
In 1974 Felder was called by the Eagles to add slide guitar to their song "Good Day in Hell". On the next day he was invited to join the band, some say after a similar offer made to Joe Walsh was rejected. Walsh in turn joined the band a year later, after Bernie Leadon quit. Felder and Walsh were already friends, and together they added a harder edge to Eagles music. The band started moving away from their earlier country rock style, towards rock and roll. On the band's fourth album, One of These Nights, Felder sang lead vocal on the song "Visions," which he co-wrote with Don Henley. This is the only Eagles song that Don Felder has ever sung lead vocal on.

The first album to be released by the Eagles after their makeover was the legendary Hotel California. The album was a major hit. Felder wrote the music for the album's title track, "Hotel California", and had originally introduced it, as an instrumental demo, to Henley and Frey who dismissed it as "Mexican Reggae"[2], though it would become the band's most successful recording. After the release of Hotel California and the tour that followed, the Eagles found themselves under tremendous pressure to repeat this success. Their next album, The Long Run took almost three years to complete, after which, the band broke up

Last edited by rlouie; 07-16-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 PM
"Big Daddy"

That was incredible. Thanks for the treat Louie.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:46 PM

All i can say is... WOW!!!

And thank you very much...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:02 PM

That clip is from the Eagles DVD "hell Freezes Over". If you enjoyed it, it is well worth owning. Excellent quality video and audio (unlike youtube).

I thought in the orignal recording Joe Walsh outshone Felder, but in this video, Felder really shines, excellent work.

The Eagles 2nd DVD, recorded years later on tour in Australia, does not include Felder. Apparenty he & henley didn't get along, so he was dropped. His replacement (whose name I don't know) does a pretty good job filling in. Joe Walsh has a more prominent role here. This is also a DVD worth owning.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:11 PM

I own this DVD and it is amazing. TB Schmidt's vocals sounds the same as they did in the 70s. So did everyone else's playing and singing for that matter.

I saw them live a few years ago but Felder was already out of that line up. Walsh looked so old like he could have a stroke on stage but he kicked some major behind with Life's been Good and Rocky Mountain Way. He's got some very melodic "singable" solos making him one of my fave guitar heroes.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 PM

Very cool. I have the DVD but had forgotten about it. Does anyone do that song as an instrumental? TAB?
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 07-16-2007, 09:10 PM

I still remember the first time I heard that song. I was backpacking and my buddy had a little transistor radio. They played it three times that weekend and we just went wild over the "new" Eagles sound. I had never heard anyone use the twin lead guitars before and it made a big impression.

I think the line up is Don Felder and Joe Walsh playing the leads on nylon and Glenn Frey with the 12 string.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:04 AM

ahh the memories, I lived in San Diego back then. The first time I saw the Eagles they opened for Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstandt (Linda was the headliner, the story was the Eagles met doing studio work for her). Some years later we won tickets (be the 10th caller) to the opening concert of the Hotel California tour. One of the best shows I ever saw...
Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 AM

The Eagles is the first concert I ever saw, back in 1977 when they started there stadium tour of Hotel California..................great concert
Old 07-17-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Felder's Replacement

After Henley (and Frey?) fired Don Felder, Steuart Smith was added to the touring band on guitar and harmony, and he seems to play more of the signature leads than Walsh does. Joe picks his spots and rips it up when he wants to, but lets/makes Steuart do most of the heavy lifting, and he's in there very true to the original licks. Steuart Smith is also producing the new Eagles studio album - new songs, majority of the recording being done in Dallas.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Amazing how awesome they sound!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Seen it before ... love it before ... loved it again! Thanks for posting.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 PM

Saw Stills last Friday at the House of Blues in Hollywood. Joe Walsh came out and played a couple of tunes with Stills. They brought the house down, sounded great together. Did Rocky Mtn. High, of course.

I was surprised how well Joe looked, compared to some past shots of him.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell