The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Post Eastman E10OM-TC vs Blueridge BR-243A 000

New to the AGF - great forum everyone.

Have been looking for a smaller guitar that still has some punch, preferably OM or 000 size, say $1,200 or less, new or excellent condition.

Deciding between an Eastman E10-OM-TC (torrified) and Blueridge BR-243A 000. Very similar specs (solid Adi tops, solid mahogany b&s, bone n&s, 1.75" nut, ebony, etc) with main difference being scale lengths: Eastman 24.9" vs BR 25.6". Both 2023s, excellent/new condition.

Intermediate player, mostly strum/pick but could fingerpick over time. Currently own a 2022 Taylor 214ce-Deluxe workhorse but looking for a versatile, smaller/couch size.

The Eastman and BR sound very similar to my ears, have excellent projection (important to me), handle strumming effortlessly with very playable neck and body size.

Curious as to anyone's experiences with these two re: sound, build quality, tone development over time, resale, etc. Want this one to be a keeper. Look forward to your insights.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:25 PM

We own BOTH.

Actually when I was at the store I took a pass on the THermo-cured and went with a regular E10-om. There was only about 100 dollar difference back then

I bought The Eastman for my son. The Blueridge I bought from a touring Bluegrass Guy here in Nashville..it was his main guitar for a year on the road...it was also the guitar that got me into playing smaller bodies and I was just outside playing it an hour ago....and it still sounds awesome as does the Eastman when I borrow it occasionally.

First off.. they are BOTH great guitars and I play Martins every day too...

The Eastman has a fatter neck. Although that might seem like a drawback it is actually EASIER to fingerpick the BIG chords (G7, C9, F Barre, D with F# in the bass)...having a fuller palm full of wood gives me more leverage on all of those 5 and 6 string chords....I have noticed it takes more concentration on a slimmer neck like the Blueridge or the Martin Low oval...however...

The Blueridge makes complicated classical guitar moves effortless because of how slim it is...it feels like a Gibson 60's neck or maybe an old Fender U neck...really shred friendly. Definitely conducive to flat picking

The Blueridge is Brighter and louder sounding...in the same frequency with my OM18, maybe not as loud on the bottom or present, BUT totally IN your Face , old school dry, woody American Bluegrass LOUD. The extra scale length might have a lot to do with that. Jumps off the top of the guitar. I used it to record with a Grammy winning producer and he said it was one of the best guitars he had ever mic'd up.

The Eastman is prolly a bit more balanced? I have owned a few Eastmans and Each one had a different characteristic...even in the same store, same model there was considerable tonal variation...Blue ridges are probably more tonally consistent?

Are you buying in person or online? That matters a LOT. If I had to buy it unplayed i'd probably go Blueridge...I did buy One Eastman OM once that I didn't care for ...it was the E20-omTC... it felt overbuilt? Too much clearcoat? Didn't really ring out like the one we have now... That was the First (and last to date) acoustic I ever bought without trying first. Maybe it would have 'opened up' later but i am in my 50's and I want stuff to sound Good NOW and LATER. (LOL)

hope that helps a little...if you have anymore questions fire away

Like trying to choose between Ginger and Mary Ann... I like them BOTH!
Old 01-07-2024, 05:28 PM

By the way (as you prolly know) the current Blueridge 243 is the same as my 243A.. they went to all adirondack and dropped the 'A' designation
Old 01-07-2024, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I know I choose Ginger.

Great observations, appreciated. I was lucky enough to procure each via a big retailer so need to return one. Both samples are loud, really project, and my initial impressions are that the Eastman sounds more articulate/precise/cutting while the BR sounds more lush if that makes sense. The neck difference is subtle to me.

I really thought the Eastman torrified would blow the BR away but (to your points) the BR generates so much woody sound. A few small points: E10 comes with really nice solid case and has neck strap button, BR came with "soft-shell case" and no button. Both can be added of course.

The E10 is heavier, perhaps consistent with your "overbuilt" comment, but might that mean more bulletproof over time? Eastman seems to have a slightly better reputation for build quality but who knows. Sounds like your BR has held up really well over time?
Old 01-07-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumundDrang View Post
I know I choose Ginger.

Great observations, appreciated. I was lucky enough to procure each via a big retailer so need to return one. Both samples are loud, really project, and my initial impressions are that the Eastman sounds more articulate/precise/cutting while the BR sounds more lush if that makes sense. The neck difference is subtle to me.

I really thought the Eastman torrified would blow the BR away but (to your points) the BR generates so much woody sound. A few small points: E10 comes with really nice solid case and has neck strap button, BR came with "soft-shell case" and no button. Both can be added of course.

The E10 is heavier, perhaps consistent with your "overbuilt" comment, but might that mean more bulletproof over time? Eastman seems to have a slightly better reputation for build quality but who knows. Sounds like your BR has held up really well over time?
Yes, those Eastman Cases are reeeaaally nice...The arch probably makes it one of the toughest cases out there.

I learn a lot on this forum; I used to think that 'lighter was better' BUT some forum members pointed some stuff out..."if that was true, than martins 17 series would be their best, right?"
(it's not...the 18's are better to my ear) So the Eastman being a bit heavier isn't really a factor. By overbuilt I more meant, some guitars just don't seem to 'chime'...the top isn't live. It doesn't sound like you're having that issue.

My Blueridge has held up awesome under Rigorous everyday play for 7 or 8 years now..and much travel back and forth between gigs, homes, etc. I think they are clear coated with Urethane?
The Eastman Body is shot with Nitro, but that allegedly ages nicer.

I have owned a BUNCH of Eastmans and none of them have ever had any problems. I bought my first one WITH an issue of the clear coat having cracked BUT the owner of Eastman made posts on forums Personally telling anybody who had that problem to ship it to them and they'd fix it...that impressed me, cause they weren't that big back then.(2012 or so?)
I didn't care about the cracking so I never sent it in.....Pre-war Guitars charges a lot of money for that (LOL)

Off topic, Blueridge COULD have been where Eastman is today but they did something to upset their vendors about 10 years ago, and Eastman came in and has dominated that market. They would probably have a better warranty network if you ever needed anything

Based on what you've said about their tone, it sounds like that is a really good Eastman... If it's as Punchy as the BR, I'd probably roll with it.

I feel like i am bad mouthing my own GF, but there you go...truth over feelings!
Old 01-07-2024, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I also learn a lot from the forum. Good convo, much appreciated. Enjoy your BRs and Eastmans.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, blueridge, eastman, oms