The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-21-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
Great guitarist. Thanks for the link about his life, too.

I love playing Croce's music. Here is a recent video of a performance I did with a friend of the classic Croce tune "I Got A Name".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJn_OPy91uk
excuse my french Tim but, **** that was nice.....I guess you have your very own Maury in Joe huh??????? that dude can play, wow, and yall sound great together.........
Old 07-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Me

Maury Muehleisen was wonderful. I love his music.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks rlouie! Yeah, Joe is an awesome player and great guy, also. Incidentally, Joe is playing my new Crowdster Plus in that video. He likes it so much he is buying his own.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:00 AM

+1 on that nice performance Earthworm!! Kudos to Joe too. Thanks for sharing!
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 07-21-2007, 03:24 PM

Thanks! There is nothing better than playing music for an audience--especially one that is there to listen and not just eat/drink. I mostly play restaurants and bars where I am often mere background. Playing a concert is tremendously energizing.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:38 PM

Thats cool that you speak of Maury, I knew I liked your style . My friend has something he recorded a long time ago and we were just watching Jim and Maury a week or so ago,they were playing without their friend on the piano. We were saying, How smooth and fluid they were together"!

The music they left us with is special!! I have been to Croce's place a few times, I love it at night down there.

Good Call on giving Maury attention as well!
Sammy
Old 07-22-2007, 04:54 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
Maury really propelled Jim's music along with incredibly intricate and tasteful style. I remember reading a bio that basically said that when Maury joined Jim it was his magic that made the songs work. I agree.
Actually, Croce really started out as Maury's sideman, (he and Ingrid put out an album previously on a very small label that quickly sank) but when Maury's album ("Gingerbreadd") didn't do as well, and Jim's caught on, they just swapped roles.

Great album, btw...a must for any Croce/Muelheisen fan!

And, not to take away from Muelheisen's vast talent, but it was the interplay between these two superb guitarists that made their sound...Croce was every bit as good, and together, they were amazing!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
+1 on Maury's tasteful playing, his lead work was always at the right place at the right time..................... some of Maury's finest work I feel was on Operator

Jim Croce - Operator
You beat me to it--that's the first song I think of as an example of what acoustic lead playing should be--virtuosity without trying to compete with the lead vocal. What Waddy Wachtel was (still is?) to electric lead, Maury is to acoustic.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell