The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-13-2021, 09:01 AM

Default Cordoba C12, and...

Hi all,

I am interested in a Cordoba C12.

From internet videos, it sounds like they have a beautiful voice. But can never tell from internet videos. I know different people prefer different sounds, so I am just looking to read the opinion of the people who have one, or played one more than just once. Sound? Response? Sustain? Playability? And, comparison to a Taylor 214ce-N (not a classical, but very nice). (Want to trade in my 214 to get the C12.)

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:33 AM

Cordoba C12 S/IR

bone saddle with mystery carbon strings (a bit boomy, loud, clear fretted notes)

tusq saddle with mystery carbon strings (lighter sound than with bone, loud, firm/airy/voluminous bass, ringing #1 and #2, lively sustain)

bone saddle with Galli Carbonio GR90 Hard (too lively/powerful, notes are percussive/clear, slightly painful)

bone saddle with Savarez 500 CRJ Corum New Cristal Mixed - NT New Cristal trebles, HT Corum basses (balanced, whereas the Carbonio were slightly over the top, almost shrill, these are a better match, clear, full, good to excellent fretted notes, #3 begins to dry out at the 15th fret)

tusq saddle with Savarez 500 CRJ Corum New Cristal Mixed - NT New Cristal trebles, HT Corum basses (#3 is a bit smokey/dull and starts to strain by the 11th fret, but #2 and #1 are clear up to the soundhole)

tusq saddle with Galli Carbonio GR90 Hard (perfect match, good to excellent fretted notes, balanced, trebles are clear and firm)

Overall I like the S/R C12, there's nothing bad about it. The raised fretboard isn't a significant advantage for me, whereas a cutaway is.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:13 AM

Bax, thanks for the info. Bone and cristal corum is factory set-up, right?
Old 05-13-2021, 11:25 AM

Bone, but I can't say as to the particular Savarez strings.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:34 PM
Musical minimalist

I've had two C12's - one spruce/EIR and one spruce/Madagascar.

I found the lattice bracing to have a little more subdued tone compared to Cordoba's fan braced guitars. Maybe a little more headroom if you play really hard, but I just prefer the responsiveness of their fan braced offerings.

As you can see from my signature, I have a Solista (with modifications) and a Loriente Clarita spruce.

I'd choose them over either of the C12's I had. In fact, the guitar I had that I ended up keeping in lieu of the C12 Madagascar was a modified C9 Spruce top. It was just more lively.

I had my Clarita listed for sale, then pulled it. I've spent the last 3-4 weeks A/B ing both guitars and I just can't seem to let either go!

One will likely go in the end, though.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:57 PM

If you have a desire for a lattice braced, even if you haven't played one, curiousity is hard to resist. I do think that fitness has a good overview on this. It's not like lattice bracing is strikingly different from fan bracing as a nomex doubletop would be.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:44 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
If you have a desire for a lattice braced, even if you haven't played one, curiousity is hard to resist. I do think that fitness has a good overview on this. It's not like lattice bracing is strikingly different from fan bracing as a nomex doubletop would be.
I think part of it is that the C12 was the first guitar that Cordoba ever built with lattice - maybe they just need to refine it a bit? Obviously I'm no expert, but that's just the sense I got. I felt like the instruments had potential but were just a little overbuilt.....which is very common for "factory" built guitars.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:26 PM

I think they did ok with it. Cervantes' Crossover 1 models were lattice, really good guitars for clarity, volume, you name it, but markedly different from a fine fan braced I don't think so.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:22 PM

Let me first say, that I'm a big Cordoba fan...I've owned a C9, C12, Luthier Series Torres, and one of the new Friederich guitars. Loved them all but the C12. Much of this had to do with the lattice bracing....I just don't care for it and my C12 had the stereotypical banjo-like tone. I'll also say that my playing style always seems to match up better with with fan bracing. The "elevated" fretboard was really non-functional and overall the C12 just felt overbuilt and dull.

I must say that little cedar C9 I had was fabulous, as was the Torres and Friederich.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:14 PM

Lattice bracing is reportedly paired with a thinner top, and if Cordoba used the same top thickness as it does with its fan braced guitars, then overbuilt it is. I use a very low tuning, which keeps my guitars in a warmer soundscape than ones using standard tuning, so differing impressions are an absolute.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:49 AM

I have not played a C12, but I've played a C10 and few other Cordobas as well as a couple Taylor nylon offerings. In general the Cordoba's will be a lot more lively than the Taylor as far as sound goes.

You might also consider a C10 if you are not sure about the lattice bracing and elevated fingerboard of the C12. The C10s are widely regarded as a lot of guitar for the money.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 05-14-2021, 07:07 AM

Thank you fitness1 and Dognax for your comments. Again, I am going by what I have heard on internet vids. The fan bracing guitar's I've researched sound nice, really nice indeed. But very traditional (not a bad thing, more on this below).

I have been fiddling around with acoustic steel-string guitars now for quite some time. And, I love the sound of a good ol' steel string. But as life has it, I have become that "old man" I swore in my youth I would never become.

I am Hispanic, and grew up listening to the music of my grandfather and father. When I say their music I refer to what is known in the Hispanic culture as "requintos;" not to be confused with a requinto guitar (which is usually used to play bachata music), but the requinto music popularized by the many "Trios" such as Trio Los Panchos, Trio Los Tres Ases, and Trio Vegajabeño. Which when I was young, I couldn't appreciate because it was "old people" music and I vowed not to become that old man. Now with both of them gone, I have turned into the old man and listen to their music and yearn to learn to play it.

The reason I like the C12 is because from the vids I’ve heard, it appears to produce a brighter sound than the traditional Spanish guitar. While it sounds brighter, I do not get the “banjoi” sound (which I also happen to love by living in Appalachian WV for a decade). But again, I am just listening to internet vids, which is why I really appreciate your input.

Maybe it is my love for the steel-string, or maybe it is my resistance to not become a full-blown old man, but I like its brightness.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I have not played a C12, but I've played a C10 and few other Cordobas as well as a couple Taylor nylon offerings. In general the Cordoba's will be a lot more lively than the Taylor as far as sound goes.

You might also consider a C10 if you are not sure about the lattice bracing and elevated fingerboard of the C12. The C10s are widely regarded as a lot of guitar for the money.

Hi j3ffro, see my post above.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:01 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnChromatic View Post

The reason I like the C12 is because from the vids I’ve heard, it appears to produce a brighter sound than the traditional Spanish guitar..
I think the key to the brighter sound you are looking for is in the spruce tops, not cedar. To my ear, the better quality cedar top instruments many times have bass that overpowers the upper mids and trebles.

My ear requires that treble "snap" that is best heard by a good spruce topped instrument.

If you listen to the recording in my sig line, you'll hear the Solista and likely hear what I'm talking about!

Old 05-14-2021, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Every person is blessed with unique ears, unique taste, unique preferences, and a unique soul.

To my ears, the Solista and the GK Pro both have a brighter sound than the C12. To my ears, the C12 has a fuller, deeper sound than the Solista and the GK Pro.

Unfortunately, I have not played a C9 or a C10.

Best wishes finding the instrument that is the best for you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical