The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-10-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
You're not an engineer, are you ;-) I am - BSME. There's a lot I learned in school and on the job over the past 30 years. None of it is readily transferable to luthiery, IMO.

I'm sure acoustic engineers get some training on this, and industrial engineers may have a leg up on manufacturing processes. Not sure that your standard electrical, computer, civil or environmental engineer have any more ability for "understanding how a guitar works" than you or I or anyone else.

IIRC Lynn Dudenbostel was an aerospace engineer before he got into building exquisite instruments. I'm sure there are other engineers who became successful luthiers. But there are likely a lot more great luthiers with no formal engineering training.
He's a mechanical engineer...not an electrical one (obviously)!

He has been speaking about "calculating stresses and moments on bracing patters"... as I said, we shall see.
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 12-10-2022, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I've been friends with many luthiers for several years now, and often meet many others at shows like TomB'sox puts on. At one point or another they have ALL told me that they have greatest job in the world. To me, that says it all, and it is something that I am now striving for. Not that I am the jealous type or pine for what others have but hearing this over and over again has really made me take a look at my own situation. As an owner of a construction business for the past 30+ years I have had my share of ups and downs and have had my back up against the wall too many times to count. While I've managed to make a good career out of it and make a modest living, I've never felt that I have the greatest job in the world. Not even once. Don't get me wrong, I respect what I have accomplished, I love the people I work with, but it is a constant battle. Goals, passions and wants don't get you anywhere unless you make it happen. You can't get to the finish line if you don't start! So, for the past couple of years, I've been actively trying to take myself out of the pressure cooker that I've put myself in and I'm working towards selling my business. If I'm successful at doing so, my plan is to pursue my passion and desire to make guitars at my own pace, and for nobody else but for myself. Almost 2 years ago now, I had a student build with the Kinnaird West boys, and I would love to build some more. I've been so serious about it that I even built myself a shop (just finished it a couple of weeks ago).

So back to the OP and this guitar: I have nothing but respect for the people that can make a living at building guitars or doing anything really that they are passionate about. Godspeed to anyone that is pushing themselves in pursuit their passions.
Absolutely right!

I love the fact that someone is taking the leap rather than sitting in their office with a great salary and benefits...but dying a little every day.

Life is too short to do something you don't love and he is chasing his dream. Good on him...and indeed ANYONE who dares to do the same and follow their dreams.
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop