The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-14-2020, 07:07 PM

Default EasterCandy NewGearDay(updated)

I did get some very nice Easter Candy Gear delivered this morning.
Attachment 36104
I’m a big fan of Peter Frampton since Frampton’s Camel days.
I’ve been revisiting the Frampton Comes Alive LP recently and after reading about his gear I wanted to experiment. Not getting involved with the whole talk box thing(actual w/silicone tubing or imitation talk box pedals), I think I will be able to bring a pretty close imitation of his lead tones with these two beauties above.

Dunlop JerryCantrell wah(darker sound than normal wah’s on the market) and a Fulltone PlimSoul(analog/digital drive with clean boost). Be still my beating heart!

He used both a wah and analog&digital drive pedals before his retirement to enhance his guitar tone thru relatively clean running amps. I have that!
Wish me luck.

Last edited by Chickee; 07-08-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:03 PM

Let me be the first to wish you luck!
Old 04-14-2020, 10:06 PM

Those look like fun. Cool looking pedal on the left. Those will make for a nice change of tone. Sounding like Frampton will be trippy. I dig it. Have fun with that...
Old 04-14-2020, 10:35 PM

On You Tube, there's a very informative video of Peter reviewing his classic sound components: MXR phase 90, Binson Echo-Rec, a few more, and of course his fingers. Exquisite guitarist.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:01 AM

Great Easter gifts! I'm going to do a little reading on the Fulltone PlimSoul - I'm not familiar with that one.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Let me be the first to wish you luck!
Thank you S&W. I will need it I’m sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
On You Tube, there's a very informative video of Peter reviewing his classic sound components: MXR phase 90, Binson Echo-Rec, a few more, and of course his fingers. Exquisite guitarist.
He is living my fear right now, no longer able to play as he is used to. It breaks my heart. This is my small way of honoring him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Great Easter gifts! I'm going to do a little reading on the Fulltone PlimSoul - I'm not familiar with that one.
Ton of good reviews on YouTube. I had to try it. Fulltone does nice work. I think of them as the west coast equivalent of Electro Harmonix here in NYC.

Last edited by Chickee; 04-20-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Those look like fun. Cool looking pedal on the left. Those will make for a nice change of tone. Sounding like Frampton will be trippy. I dig it. Have fun with that...
That Dunlop wah has a very distinct sound. Although it changes the tone as a wah will do, it’s not as nasal. It’s much more vocal in its throw from low to high or heel to toe if that explains it better. I think it will give me a better chance to get that talk box imitation going. We’ll see🎸
Old 04-24-2020, 11:38 AM

Soooo...having way too much time on my hands lately my mind wanders off and says “if you are looking to do a little Frampton sound what about Robin Trower, or Jimi or big Dave Glimour too for that matter?” How about a pedal board that can go battery power only or plug-in power if you want?

This is what’s in transit to join the wah and drive pedals I got myself for an Easter present.
Attachment 36599
Rotary speaker sim pedal for Bridge of Sighs, Breathe or VooDoo Child?
Attachment 36600
Let’s try a new clean boost
Attachment 36601
We must stay in tune when we drop down a whole step
Attachment 36602
Nice small deck 12”hx17”w

Old 04-24-2020, 02:10 PM

Sweet! That pedal board looks great. I've never heard of that Fender boost but I'll give my opinion on a fantastic one - the MXR micro amp. One button, $80, and does an amazing job in the amp's effects loop to boost post distorted and pre-amp tones. Clean boost and no coloring.

Once you get the pedal board setup post a pic.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet! That pedal board looks great. I've never heard of that Fender boost but I'll give my opinion on a fantastic one - the MXR micro amp. One button, $80, and does an amazing job in the amp's effects loop to boost post distorted and pre-amp tones. Clean boost and no coloring.

Once you get the pedal board setup post a pic.
It looks like fun, right Dru? I certainly will put up a picture or two.
In the mean time here is a picture of my current board.
Attachment 36622
I have a JHS clean boost pedal(I call it MagicHat because it has a rabbit coming out of a magicians tophat printed on it). It’s a one knob clean boost but I want a little more oomph this time.
I liked the reviews on this new Fender pedal. I’ll let you know if I agree once I’m up and running.

BTW Dru, did you get a chance to see anything on the PlimSoul pedal?

Old 04-24-2020, 10:05 PM

Oh ya. Now you're rocking. Chew it up and spit it out....

That's an impressive pedal setup. It's way over my head but I'd love to noodle around with it. Do you have it at like counter-top height so you operate them by hand.?? I like that idea.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Oh ya. Now you're rocking. Chew it up and spit it out....

That's an impressive pedal setup. It's way over my head but I'd love to noodle around with it. Do you have it at like counter-top height so you operate them by hand.?? I like that idea.
When I do my very, very simple recordings I have the board on my desk and tweak everything from there. It’s easy and fast.

This next board will be much more foot friendly. Set the few dials and just rock your foot back and forth. At least I am hoping that’s how it turns out.🎸
Old 04-25-2020, 09:42 AM

I swear, this is the last pedal going on this new board! Button “A” will connect to the WhirlWind AB/Y box on the existing board that will split the overdrive section from the time based pedals so I can run those direct into an effects loop. Button “B” will run to channel one, Button “C” will run to channel two.

Last edited by Chickee; 04-25-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:00 AM

That's a great, clean pedalboard! Yes, I did look up the PlimSoul and watched Anderton's video review of it. Sounds like a great pedal that can give you a little when that's what you want or a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
It looks like fun, right Dru? I certainly will put up a picture or two.
In the mean time here is a picture of my current board.
Attachment 36622
I have a JHS clean boost pedal(I call it MagicHat because it has a rabbit coming out of a magicians tophat printed on it). It’s a one knob clean boost but I want a little more oomph this time.
I liked the reviews on this new Fender pedal. I’ll let you know if I agree once I’m up and running.

BTW Dru, did you get a chance to see anything on the PlimSoul pedal?
Old 04-25-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Soooo...having way too much time on my hands lately my mind wanders off and says “if you are looking to do a little Frampton sound what about Robin Trower, or Jimi or big Dave Glimour too for that matter?” How about a pedal board that can go battery power only or plug-in power if you want?

This is what’s in transit to join the wah and drive pedals I got myself for an Easter present.
Attachment 36599
Rotary speaker sim pedal for Bridge of Sighs, Breathe or VooDoo Child?
Attachment 36600
Let’s try a new clean boost
Attachment 36601
We must stay in tune when we drop down a whole step
Attachment 36602
Nice small deck 12”hx17”w
Just remember that there's a difference between the sound of a rotary speaker and a univibe. Frampton used, and uses, a rotary speaker. But Trower and Hendrix were known for using a univibe.

Some info on Trower's gear for Bridge of Sighs.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features...ridge-of-sighs

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars