The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-27-2019, 08:12 PM

Default Yet another Schatten HFN question...

I'm almost completely satisfied with the Schatten HFN (active) that I just had installed in my Seagull SWS Mini Jumbo. It's so exciting to be able to get good volume while fingerpicking softly.

Just one concern- both E strings, especially the low E, are less responsive to the pickup. The low E has some signal, but not enough; I hear the sound shift between my amp and the guitar when I cross pick between the E and the A. Boosting bass and scooping midrange helps somewhat, but is doesn't eliminate the difference. I wouldn't want to be locked into that tone setting anyway.

My installation was done with tape, and was my tech's first experience with this pickup. I'm using a Boss Acoustic Singer Live, and fresh John Pearse PB strings. There's enough I love about this pickup that I'd rather fix this than try something else. Has anyone else faced this problem with repositioning the pup, or using putty, or ?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 08-27-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: details, details
Old 08-27-2019, 08:40 PM

Try removing the middle tape per https://www.schattendesign.com/PDF/HFN-Active.pdf. I did this with the putty and it resolved my imbalance issue.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:33 PM

Default Sounds like a good idea...

Thanks, we'll try that.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 08-28-2019, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
I'm almost completely satisfied with the Schatten HFN (active) that I just had installed in my Seagull SWS Mini Jumbo. It's so exciting to be able to get good volume while fingerpicking softly.

Just one concern- both E strings, especially the low E, are less responsive to the pickup. The low E has some signal, but not enough; I hear the sound shift between my amp and the guitar when I cross pick between the E and the A. Boosting bass and scooping midrange helps somewhat, but is doesn't eliminate the difference. I wouldn't want to be locked into that tone setting anyway.

My installation was done with tape, and was my tech's first experience with this pickup. I'm using a Boss Acoustic Singer Live, and fresh John Pearse PB strings. There's enough I love about this pickup that I'd rather fix this than try something else. Has anyone else faced this problem with repositioning the pup, or using putty, or ?
I'm using the tape installation and I get less output on the 6th-E-string in relation to the other strings and my 1st-E-string is good too. My pickup positioning is about as perfect as possible in relation to the saddle. I'm thinking I need to go in and press up on the bass side of the HFN and hear if that helps increase the 6th-E-string output.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm using the tape installation and I get less output on the 6th-E-string in relation to the other strings and my 1st-E-string is good too. My pickup positioning is about as perfect as possible in relation to the saddle. I'm thinking I need to go in and press up on the bass side of the HFN and hear if that helps increase the 6th-E-string output.
This is what fixed my first install. I'm getting (now) even response in all three installs.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-28-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
This is what fixed my first install. I'm getting (now) even response in all three installs.
Pressing up helps for sure. I've not tried the tape yet, but I love the putty for this reason - just a tad more give when you need it for a particular foot.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 08-28-2019, 10:36 AM

I would be interested to see if this might work for you...here's a quote from my recent thread:

"Just a heads up for those trying to fine-tune the string balance with your HFN. I installed and re-installed a few times, all with the putty, trying to get just a little more oomph out of the low E. My last install almost got me there but not quite. So, leaving the pickup in place, I added a chunk of putty to the bass-side “foot” so it would adhere to both the side of the foot and up against the top. That did it! It seems like I read this trick somewhere here on the AGF but I couldn’t find it anywhere, so I thought this post might help someone. I’m sure glad I tried it."

You could leave your tape installation alone and just try adding the putty. It would be a quick and easy (and reversible) experiment.

Link to that thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=555946

Scott
Old 08-28-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
I love the putty for this reason - just a tad more give when you need it for a particular foot.
+1 to this. I'm yet to have an issue with a putty install vs my very first tape install that yielded uneven contact. My most recent install was with tape with no issues but I've recently swapped that one over to putty to have all my installs consistent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
installation, schatten hfn, seagull