The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-12-2020, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I have a 1975 Gibson ES-345... heavy to start with and I've done some mod's that have increased the weight a bit, but it is a BEAST!!!

Not really all that much heavier than most, I suppose... but I use a plain leather (smooth/suede) strap that's a Dean Markely, I think (?)... I have a few, as a friend was an endorser "back in the day"... (turns out it's the one that Garth Brooks favors?)

About 5 inches wide, but thinner leather, not bulky... I keep the suede side out so the smooth side adjusts easily on my shoulder. No issues with it, although I don't play electric all that much these days... if I were in a band or some sort of steady arrangement, I'd probably go for strap locks.

A curious thing about my 345: it only REALLY feels "right" when I'm standing up and holding it. I play it a bunch sitting on a stool or on a straight-backed chair, and it's fine, but there are a lot of chord positions that are overly difficult to fret when sitting that disappear when standing...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars