The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Default "Not About Blng Bling" - New Original Song Collaboration w/ a 70's Soul Vibe

Another original song where I take lyrics from my friend HC Holbert (BMI Songwriter) and make up music for them. HC sent me these lyrics a long time ago and I could never figure out how to approach them. Finally I sat down yesterday and focused. I came up with a style of music I have never even attempted to play before. The lyrics seemed to call for a soul vibe.

So before I lost my idea I turned the camera and mic on and played it through all in one take.
When I was done I realized it was way too long with too many guitar breaks. So instead of a do-over I instead opted to edit down my one take recording to make a more economical song of it.
Editing the audio was the easy part. Editing the video was not so easy but I did my best.
I had lots of fun with this one and decided to overdub background vocals in.
What I did was listen to the track with headphones on and sing into my mic where I wanted background. I did this three times. Then I added the vocals to the audio.
So here it is, a very rough demo (first and only time ever played):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMwu3rCWszM&fmt=18

Old 02-10-2009, 04:47 PM

Default Well Done

Nicely done Gil

If I can make a suggestion... .... In my early days I played a ton of soul and motown classics. My style has done a 180 in the last 5-10 years and despite my running as fast as I can from it, vocally, I still lean in the soul direction. Its just who I am so I accept it on some level. So ...

If you really want give the soul swagger you need to sit back in your groove a little more. The key to soul and funk is that it's a less is more guitar style and to achieve that you've got to really sit back behind the imaginary back beat. You've got a nice song and a cool guitar style so bring the feel home by laying wayback in the groove. You can't get in a hurry.

All said. I like what your doing. Your a good player and have a nice voice. Suggested listening for you would be a song you've probably heard a thousand times but from a strictly organic perspective listen to how the melody line from "Love and Happiness" plays against the percussive groove. The melody allways lopes right behind the downs. That how your song needs to roll to communicate the vibe your going for.

Al Green is a stud. No doubt about it, but I suggest you here a fellow guitar players version. Check out Marc Brussards version of "Love and Happiness"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFbNESAySRM

In addition any of the acoustic stuff in Marcs catalog will blow you away with how soulful it is. Trust me...If its soul you want, Marc is the new American standard.

2004 Martin D41
2006 Guild D40

"The Future of Whistling"......Daniel Duncan
Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan121 View Post
Nicely done Gil

If I can make a suggestion... .... In my early days I played a ton of soul and motown classics. My style has done a 180 in the last 5-10 years and despite my running as fast as I can from it, vocally, I still lean in the soul direction. Its just who I am so I accept it on some level. So ...

If you really want give the soul swagger you need to sit back in your groove a little more. The key to soul and funk is that it's a less is more guitar style and to achieve that you've got to really sit back behind the imaginary back beat. You've got a nice song and a cool guitar style so bring the feel home by laying wayback in the groove. You can't get in a hurry.

All said. I like what your doing. Your a good player and have a nice voice. Suggested listening for you would be a song you've probably heard a thousand times but from a strictly organic perspective listen to how the melody line from "Love and Happiness" plays against the percussive groove. The melody allways lopes right behind the downs. That how your song needs to roll to communicate the vibe your going for.

Al Green is a stud. No doubt about it, but I suggest you here a fellow guitar players version. Check out Marc Brussards version of "Love and Happiness"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFbNESAySRM

In addition any of the acoustic stuff in Marcs catalog will blow you away with how soulful it is. Trust me...If its soul you want, Marc is the new American standard.

First of all let me say I am really stoked by your very thoughtful response! Thank you so much. This is completely new and experimental territory for me and was a first pass. I figure it is better to experiment and fail than not to have tried at all! That video was absolutely awesome! Marc has got real soul and I see what you mean about the groove. Man he did Al Green proud on that one. Thanks for sharing that! And thanks again for commenting on my experiment!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell