The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-26-2019, 06:32 AM

Watching some of those vids, I’m not sure if it inspires me or makes me want to give up...lol...amazing...So much to learn...That is what makes guitar such a great hobby I guess...room to grow
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Watching some of those vids, I’m not sure if it inspires me or makes me want to give up...lol...amazing...So much to learn...That is what makes guitar such a great hobby I guess...room to grow
Yes, there is that big moment where I get a little discourage knowing I will not achieve his level of playing. Not even close.
But then there is that other big moment, where I realized that sound that I love can be achieved. You don't have to be the greatest player in order to sound great. Many of our greatest hits are simple songs that sounded sublime.
I am encouraged from his videos. Especially the last video that Glenwillow presented showing the different picking techniques. Although I use a thumbpick and fingers, I have been learning in the last several months just how much the tone-sound can be improved by the way I pluck the string.
So much to learn.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yeah, that is a great sound, but then Carl Miner is such a terrific player. It gets hard to separate the guitar from the outstanding player sometimes.

Wow, that is just gorgeous!

- Glenn

What a great sounding guitar...and such and elegant player is Mr. Miner. Great touch and the sense to use it so wisely in staying out of the way and letting the guitar speak freely.

That Bourgeois has ideal tone to me for a dread...but...I think the Dudenbostel dread leans a bit more accurately vintage Martin tone. A little firmer, a little more fundamental, less shimmer, more punch on the note.

I prefer the Bourgeois tone, but the Dude is what you want if you are going vintage Martin flatpicking.

But really...stellar player there, he makes them all sound their very best!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 10-26-2019, 02:18 PM

I played my D41 and my Slope D Banjo Killer Custom back to back today and while I LOVE my D41, overall, I prefer my Bourgeois for its superb clarity and definition! While the D41 sounds amazing and has a killer bottom-end that just fills the room, the Bourgeois is so crystal clear and balanced! It doesn't have the bottom-end of the D41, but it doesn't need it and sounds so good with what It has. I don't know what Dana does to make his guitars so special, but I love them!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-26-2019, 06:39 PM

Very nice indeed!
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 10-26-2019, 08:08 PM

I tell you what, that guy can play. Good grief.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:14 PM

Great guitars and even better musician. Does he have any CDs?
Old 10-26-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

That Bourgeois in the OP was nice.

But that Brazilian Santa Cruz 1934D a few posts down...gave me goose bumps. I've listened to that clip 5 times already. Great player, awesome flatpicking.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 10-26-2019, 11:10 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the most impressive things in those videos are the player and the mics. Good mics and mic technique can make decent guitars sound great.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the most impressive things in those videos are the player and the mics. Good mics and mic technique can make decent guitars sound great.
I keep telling myself that I'll make a microphone purchase once I have a few more songs written.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that those guitars would be great no matter what mic you used.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-27-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
That kind of playing inspires me. It reminds me of all the wonderful tones and sounds and melodies that are still to come off any number of guitars. It reminds me that I have enough good guitars that I, too, can make some of those sounds if I just work at it a little more.

I must say, I just love the little melodies built into that first video, which I copied here for convenience. I can't seem to listen to this piece enough...

- Glenn
Old 10-27-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That kind of playing inspires me. It reminds me of all the wonderful tones and sounds and melodies that are still to come off any number of guitars. It reminds me that I have enough good guitars that I, too, can make some of those sounds if I just work at it a little more.

I must say, I just love the little melodies built into that first video, which I copied here for convenience. I can't seem to listen to this piece enough...

- Glenn
Could not agree with you more Glenn. Just a beautifully written and played piece.
This just enforces my strong belief that any tune's true beauty is not judged by the difficulty of which it is being played, but rather in the content of the melody and the Tone that is delivered. And boy does Carl deliver on both melody and tone in this example.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:34 PM

Yes, that's the dread sound, played by a great player on a great guitar with great recording equipment and recorded by an experienced recording engineer.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
That Bourgeois in the OP was nice.

But that Brazilian Santa Cruz 1934D a few posts down...gave me goose bumps. I've listened to that clip 5 times already. Great player, awesome flatpicking.

+1...thinking the same thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN