The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-14-2004, 11:50 AM

SC - The modes are not really as complicated as they sound. They are just the "degrees" of the scale. If you play a major scale starting on the first note, it's just a major scale, also known as Ionian mode. If you play it starting on the second note, it's a dorian mode, etc. The fifth, as Taylor 110 mentioned, is mixolydian. It all depends on your vantage point. You are still playing in G major with respect to the whole song, i.e., using a G major scale, but you are playing the D mixolidian mode with respect to the melody.

Interestingly, Sweet Home Alabama adds another twist: it uses an F (natural) major chord. This chord does not occur naturally in the G major/D mixolian scale. This chord, however, never occurs over the medlody. It is in sort of a "turnaround" section.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc morris
lydian??
mixolodian??
Greek???
Hebrew??

(sound of head exploding)
Greek I think. At least that's where I think the modes originated. Don't over think it. It's easier than it sounds when it's stuck in words.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc morris
That looks like something that could help me out on the fly....thanks. I'm going to look for one of these. Have you seen one in any of the local DFW shops?
sorry sc. haven't seen a one locally. i only came across it when i was buying a shubb capo over the internet and the device came up in the search.

but i did find where i bought it--a great place called maury's music. here's the link:

http://www.maurysmusic.com/guitar_capo

they all recommend him highly over at the umgf and i found his level of service impeccable. i ordered about 6 or 8 items on friday evening and, without special shipping, received them all on tuesday.

good luck,

/guy
Old 09-14-2004, 02:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
sorry sc. haven't seen a one locally. i only came across it when i was buying a shubb capo over the internet and the device came up in the search.

but i did find where i bought it--a great place called maury's music. here's the link:

http://www.maurysmusic.com/guitar_capo

they all recommend him highly over at the umgf and i found his level of service impeccable. i ordered about 6 or 8 items on friday evening and, without special shipping, received them all on tuesday.

good luck,

/guy
Very cool. I'm going to have to get one of those. Thanks for the link...
Old 09-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurmabus
Well, slightly off topic but kind of fun...

"Sweet Home Alabama" is generally considered to be in D. The chords are D, C, and G.

If you analyze the melody, it would seem to be in D, since every phrase ends in D.

However, the guitar solos are all played as if the song is in G.

So is this genius, accident, or just plain odd and kinda cool?

Of course, it's definitely off-topic.

Peace,

Wade

Genius.....

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell