The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-30-2004, 10:43 PM

Default Learning the fretboard...why?

Hi all...so my teacher says I should learn all the natural notes on the fretboard...while I can certainly understand the value of this exercise, can someone explain to me how it will help my playing down the road? I mean, if i pick up a set of tabs to learn a song, how will knowing the name of the notes on each string help?
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 08-30-2004, 10:51 PM

Taking upon any simple chord per-say G for example: how many ways can it be played, and how many ways can it be altered: G/B, G/F#, etc. Now, taking these as example, what does it mean to play G/F#? Aside the point, it helps tremendousely to know each natural note on the freboard. It not only helps your chord knowledge, but the overall music theory is a great axe in any department: scales, chords, harmonics, relativity notes, etc. I still play by ear, and try to figure out new songs like that. But if I took the time to learn most of the notes on the fretboard, my goodness thats like time cut in half. Its good for the soul~ trust me.

aLbie
Old 08-30-2004, 11:04 PM

...but for reading tab, it doesn't help at all.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:15 AM

I used to think like that until I started playing with others and needed to use different inversions for voicing. Plus it's advisable if you ever intend to play live, because strings break mid song and you'll need to know how to cover it pretty fast.

I do a lot of triathlon and IM type events and playing music is no different. There are no real value shortcuts, it all takes effort in the end. But is most rewarding
Old 08-31-2004, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloralf
Hi all...so my teacher says I should learn all the natural notes on the fretboard...while I can certainly understand the value of this exercise, can someone explain to me how it will help my playing down the road? I mean, if i pick up a set of tabs to learn a song, how will knowing the name of the notes on each string help?
First off, what is the value you "certainly understand" in this exercise? I know hat came out sounding really smart-alecy. That's not the intention. I'm just thinking you might start off by thinking about what "value" you see in it if it's not to help you be a better player.

Second, knowing the names of the notes probably won't help much when you're looking at tab.

Finally, how will it help your playing? Jesse Robinson (killer jazz/blues guitarist) told me once, "if you want to be a great guitarist, you have to first be a great musician." We could argue about whether one needs to know how to read music to be a great musician - certainly there have been those that didn't read a note. But, I think many here who have been down the road of just playing by ear, then adding a touch of music theory under their belts, would agree that any time you can add to the "stuff" you can draw from as a musician, it makes you better. It will help you communicate better with other musicians. It will help you understand what other musicians are saying or writing. All music theory stuff, from the absolute basics to the very advanced, is given in terms of "notes" and their relationships with other notes. Chords are made up of certain notes. Knowing the notes on a fretboard gives you options of where to play chords. I could go on.

--jam
Old 08-31-2004, 08:48 AM

Default oranges, reds, and yellows will be here shortly....it'll be ok...it'll be ok...

ummmmm.....

Why did you learn the word "fretboard"???????!?!?!?!??!?!??!!????????

???!?!??!??!???????????

You can play the guitar without learning all the names of the various parts of the guitar, can't you???!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why learn all that complicated guitar construction talk?????!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Daddy, pass the peas, please....

EEEEEEEEEEK! Can't we just enjoy a meal around here????!?!?!? Do we have to get into vegetable theory everytime we sit down to eat???!?!??!?!?!?!?!? Can't we just eat?????!?!??!?!? Do we have to know the name of everything we put in our mouths???? How is that going to help us????? Why can't you just say little round green thingies???????????!?!??!?!

Daddy, I think you're overreacting a bit....it's just a name to distinguish the little round green thingies on the table from the elongated, stringy, and slightly tubular green veggie things on the table....it's pretty much simple, normal, and expected human behavior to put a name to the things that one repeatedly comes in contact with, isn't it?......wh....wh....what are you doing with that bar of Zest in your mouth???

It's green!?!??!!?!??!?!?!?!? This tastes lousy.....I thought it was a veggie! This is too confusing! There's too much to learn! I can't do it! EEEEEEk!

momma, daddy ran into the woods shrieking and freaking again...

The leaves are all green! I can't see the little green men!

I think I missed the question....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 08-31-2004, 08:54 AM

I have been taking lessons for about a year. I have had two teachers in that time. My first taught me chords and strums to some tunes via tab. I got bored because my music sounded flat. My current teacher started me off with learning the whole notes chromatically, and by major and pentonic scales. I find it very useful. Before I felt like all I could do was copy other peoples music, now I feel like I can imitate it with my own style. Knowing the notes means I can play where I want to.
The process of learning the notes is kind of like the movie The Karate Kid. We all want to play music, palying is fun. But in order to be a master and be creative, you need to get the basics down. Wax on....Wax off. Tedious, maybe even boring bbut when knowledge becomes instinct...lookout!

'03 Taylor 414 RCE Summertime Limited "Kimo"
'03 Baby Taylor "Lizzie"
Schertler David
Old 08-31-2004, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletrees
ummmmm.....

???!?!??!??!???????????

You can play the guitar without learning all the names of the various parts of the guitar, can't you???!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

EEEEEEEEEEK! Can't we just enjoy a meal around here????!?!?!? Do we have to get into vegetable theory everytime we sit down to eat???!?!??!?!?!?!?!? Can't we just eat?????!?!??!?!? Do we have to know the name of everything we put in our mouths???? How is that going to help us????? Why can't you just say little round green thingies???????????!?!??!?!

Daddy, I think you're overreacting a bit....it's just a name to distinguish the little round green thingies on the table from the elongated, stringy, and slightly tubular green veggie things on the table....it's pretty much simple, normal, and expected human behavior to put a name to the things that one repeatedly comes in contact with, isn't it?......wh....wh....what are you doing with that bar of Zest in your mouth???

It's green!?!??!!?!??!?!?!?!? This tastes lousy.....I thought it was a veggie! This is too confusing! There's too much to learn! I can't do it! EEEEEEk!

Umm ....okay...thanks mapletrees....(i think ?!?!)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 08-31-2004, 09:23 AM

Default not sure if this will work...

first off, thanks everyone for your replies :-)

here's what i am thinking as a "plan of attack" to get me to the "next level", not sure if it's a good one, that's why i need to ask you for opinions...so here it goes:

my goal in doing all this is simply "enjoyment"...i am not looking to become the next eric clapton (as if that's something i have to worry about ). i simply want to keep enjoying playing the guitar by improving and learning new things. and i know that part of improving and learning new things involve stuff that is not exaclty fun. so...

i'm thinking to go at this two ways at the same time. there is fun part of learning new songs, so i'm thinking of picking up some tabs and just learning new songs slowly, even if it takes one phrase at a time, on my own

and then there is the boring part of learning notes, scales, things like that, which i will go to a teacher for.

does that sound like something that will work?
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 08-31-2004, 10:29 AM

MY NEW YEARS RESOLUTION THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS HAS BEEN TO ...QUIT SMOKIN[DONE!COUPLE OF YEARS AGO].....LOSE WEIGHT[ONLY ADDED,NOT SUBTRACTED..LOL]....AND LEARN THE STINKIN NOTES ON THE FRETBOARD[STILL SLACKIN!!]...MEBBE THIS YEAR??MEBBE NEXT??.I DUNNO... I KNOW THAT IT WOULD BE VALUABLE TO ME...IM SO LOUSY WITH THE LAZY!!DOH!!!!!!!!OH YEAH,I WOULD LIKE TO GROW HAIR ALSO......HEHE..I AINT FIGURED THAT ONE OUT YET...MAYBE NEXT YEAR TOO.....BUT I DOUBT IT!!!!!
Old 08-31-2004, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletrees
ummmmm.....

???!?!??!??!???????????

Ya' been eatin' the varnish off them thar gitars again?

"I've tasted and obtained wealth, fame and power and can testify that they do not compare to the satisfaction that I have tasted from one drop of water from the cup of Christ which has quenched my thirst."

- Malcom Muggeridge
Old 08-31-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axememan
MY NEW YEARS RESOLUTION THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS HAS BEEN TO ...QUIT SMOKIN[DONE!COUPLE OF YEARS AGO].....LOSE WEIGHT[ONLY ADDED,NOT SUBTRACTED..LOL]....AND LEARN THE STINKIN NOTES ON THE FRETBOARD[STILL SLACKIN!!]...MEBBE THIS YEAR??MEBBE NEXT??.I DUNNO... I KNOW THAT IT WOULD BE VALUABLE TO ME...IM SO LOUSY WITH THE LAZY!!DOH!!!!!!!!OH YEAH,I WOULD LIKE TO GROW HAIR ALSO......HEHE..I AINT FIGURED THAT ONE OUT YET...MAYBE NEXT YEAR TOO.....BUT I DOUBT IT!!!!!
Ummm...thanks again, axemenan for sharing

now, CAN I PLEASE HAVE SOME NORMAL PEOPLE REPLYING TO MY THREAD??
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 08-31-2004, 11:33 AM

Play music to enjoy it, but if you are taking lessons, listen to the teacher without wondering why you need to learn something, it will all fall into place.

For instance. I never thought I would play guitar with someone else. I was comping and he was soloing. He stopped and said:

"Knock the 9th out of the chord and play a 6th instead and let me see how that sounds"

Well, I was in luck, my teacher taught me chord construction which forced me to familiarize myself with the fretboard. So rather than sit and look dumb and say "What?", I just rearranged some fingers and away I went.

I'm not saying you cant enjoy or become a great guitar player without becoming a theory guru, but it can only help your playing.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloralf
i'm thinking to go at this two ways at the same time. there is fun part of learning new songs, so i'm thinking of picking up some tabs and just learning new songs slowly, even if it takes one phrase at a time, on my own

and then there is the boring part of learning notes, scales, things like that, which i will go to a teacher for.
Music is kinda made out of notes, scales, chords and "things like that". Learning them will speed up the process of getting to the fun stuff. A half hour a day working on the grunt work will make the fun stuff come easier.
Eventually working on the technical stuff becomes fun, and a part of the routine too.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:05 PM

I like to use the fretboard as a sort of slide rule for figuring intervals.

So, say, if I'm playing a chord with its root at the 5th string, seventh fret (E), I know that my major third is up one string and down a fret, and my major fifth is up a string and up two frets. And two strings up on my same fret, I can grab a dominant 7th.

And then I'll read those notes off the fretboard if I actually want to know the names of those notes. (G#, B, and D#, right?)

Or, suppose you're playing with someone in the key of... E and you want to play some melody lines up high. If you know your fretboard, you will know where the E's are on that fretboard and you can use them to position the appropriate scale pattern.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell