The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-30-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Modern Jazz Guitarists with a touch of Fusion

Stuff we are listening to around these parts...and hope for some suggestions.

a. Pat Metheny in Japan on Youtube...

b. Lee Rittenhaur....or however ya spell it....tons of really smooth jazz

Any other good jazz guitarists out there I should be listening for who are contemporary?

TIA
Old 02-03-2018, 12:43 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hi, Davis! Do you use Spotify? Julian Lage has a brand new album out here:
https://open.spotify.com/album/71oRe...T26y5EGMN5D-wA

For something different check out Jesse Lewis and Endless Field. I haven't heard of them before now but really like the style:
https://open.spotify.com/album/16Nre...QfKCFJkJtNtDpQ
Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Stuff we are listening to around these parts...and hope for some suggestions.

a. Pat Metheny in Japan on Youtube...

b. Lee Rittenhaur....or however ya spell it....tons of really smooth jazz

Any other good jazz guitarists out there I should be listening for who are contemporary?

TIA
Ritenour and Metheny and "smooth jazz" were big in the 80's, so I don't know if you're asking for people contemporary to that time period, or current (I know these guys are still around...) But other guitarists that were peers of sorts in that time period would include Larry Carlton, Larry Coryell, John Scofield, John Abercrombie, Jerry Hahn, Al Di Meola, Mike Stern, and many more I'm forgetting. Grant Green, Robin Ford (tho more bluesy, usually). I'm sure I'm forgetting 20 other obvious names. Also bands led by people like Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Billy Cobham, Jan Hammer. Lots of variation in styles - each of these players has a signature style, so no one sounds exactly like Ritenour or Metheny, but they all fit that general era and fusion/smooth jazz category.

I haven't followed this style lately, so I have no idea what new artists fit this category.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Three at the top

I've heard Pat Metheny at a Q&A saying that "there are two other guys I keep my eye on, and they do the same" - John Schofield and Bill Frisell. He's done albums with both.

Jazz has been at peak Frisell for a few years now. He releases several of his own albums a year, with two or three ongoing groups, and guests on many others, some surprising like Lucinda Williams. He's a coloristic player, often smooth and simple but always on the edge of discordance, like a microtonal Mel Bay.

As for Schofield, some folks like him. I find him limited in approach and tone, more of a rock/funk player.

As for Mr. Metheny, he's still gigging, but albums have been scarce lately. But among his 40+ albums and 20 Grammys, there's a lot that isn't remotely Smooth Jazz. Like the Orchestrion, a computer-controlled orchestra playing dozens of physical instruments (including Jack DeJohnette's old drum kit) that he commissioned and composed for. And when Pat straps on his Roland synth guitar, get ready for a rockin' ride. To continue the research- another favorite Metheny quote - just pick put any five of his albums from 1978 onwards and you'll find at least three different styles and ensembles, plus a wealth of fascinating, innovative guitars at work.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 02-08-2018, 02:38 PM

I've been diving into the John Scofield catalog lately. Man, that guy has some great original tunes and covers. I also like that he shuns the "traditional jazz" tone. His phrasing is really interesting and dynamic as well.

Last edited by jdmulli; 02-11-2018 at 02:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN