The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-30-2004, 04:11 PM

Default My first (trial) lesson!

Hey everyone

Many thanks for the advice on whether taking lessons is the way to go to improve. well, i just came back from my first "trial" (i.e. no commitment) lesson...told the teacher where i am skills and experience wise (a few years of playing chords in church worship team) and told him where i'd like to go (more fingerstyle, play more up the neck, etc). and here is what he started me with: learning the notes going up and down on the first string (high E) in C major scale, just going up and down the string, playing the notes and naming them out loud as I went along. Just using one string and one finger. For the last few minutes of the lesson he had me "improvise" on the string while he strum along on his guitar. He said he wants me to know all the notes up and down the fret board. He also showed me that I was pressing way too hard on the strings...and i was quite surprised, even after a few years of playing, that actually it takes very little "force" to produce a clean note. Anyways, that was pretty much my first 30 minutes of guitar instructions. What do you think? Is that fairly typical? Should I go back for more?
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 08-30-2004, 04:23 PM

I find it a bit odd that there was a ten week contract on these lessons. I have taken lessons from a great many teachers and none of them ever required me to sign up for a set period of time. It is good, though, that he caught your finger pressure on the neck. Classical guitarists stress the fact that your fretting fingers should almost "hang" off of each string. Let gravity do some of the work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell