The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Default Trying to broaden my listening...

...of great guitar players. A day or so ago I posted a link to Doyle Dykes; one of my favorite players.

This one of Pete Huttlinger is simply a display of some great playing IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17dtwjr5R6E

And yet another guitar player I admire greatly; Wayne Johnson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5VcXYI5KQg

Then there is Wayne and TE together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5uQuufAKwM

I think it is important to listen to a variety of great guitarists to broaden our guitar playing tastes, thinking and to be inspired and challenge ourselves.

Last edited by Nailpicker; 04-27-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

There are so many really, really good guitarists that it's mind blowing and they don't have to be well known names to be good. Fame is elusive and it doesn't reach many talented people. Go onto www.Homespun.com and browse through the many instructors there, just to name one source of great guitarists all in one place.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 PM

If you really want to broaden your horizons, there's instruments other than guitar...and music other than "instrumental guitar fingerpicking music."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
If you really want to broaden your horizons, there's instruments other than guitar...and music other than "instrumental guitar fingerpicking music."
Exactly. Listen to music.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 PM

if you want to se mind blowing guitar players go to utube and search "candy rat guitar" tons of great players with ll kinds of styles...one of the only profitable labels for guitar music....
Old 04-27-2017, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
if you want to se mind blowing guitar players go to utube and search "candy rat guitar" tons of great players with ll kinds of styles...one of the only profitable labels for guitar music....
There's also a lot of questionable music on Candyrat (much like Windham Hill, Solid Air or Narada). But some of their artists are fantastic.

Antoine Dufour, Andy McKee, Calum Graham, Don Ross, Robert Taylor should get a curious listener started.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 04-28-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Yep, I remember trying to broaden my acoustic ears some time ago.......found Pierre Bensusan and Tony McManus. Met Doyle Dykes at a Taylor event a few years ago...most amazing talent. His daughter Haley was present and an amazing talent as well. Pete Huttlinger..met him in an airport and did not know it. Several years ago and started chatting with this guy with a guitar case while waiting to board an airplane. We were talking guitar stuff...we could have talked for hours about music if the airplane had not been on time...he offered to let me play his guitar. I politely declined since I did not want to embarrass myself in a public airport. He gave me his business card when it came time to board and we went our ways. When I got home, did a search and just about died. Ironically, I was/am a huge John Denver fan and had actually looked at purchasing one of his DVDs a few months prior to my run-in with him...did not put it together at the time. I smile thinking about that day.....lots....
Old 04-28-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
And some of this non-fingerpicking stuff is quite phenominal. The guitar is a very versatile instrument.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Quote of the day.

In addition listen to other genres of music outside your comfort zone. You can learn many things which you can then apply to your own style. Ask Sting...
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 04-28-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Exactly. Listen to music.
I listen to a large variety of music. As a baby and very small child my grandfather indoctrinated me to opera and classical music. My grandmother was in love with piano. I think my musical horizons are fairly broad. But since this is AGF and I play guitar I thought I place it in terms of guitar playing:
"...to broaden our guitar playing tastes, thinking and to be inspired and challenge ourselves" (playing guitar). It seems TE gets all the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
There are so many really, really good guitarists that it's mind blowing and they don't have to be well known names to be good. Fame is elusive and it doesn't reach many talented people. Go onto www.Homespun.com and browse through the many instructors there, just to name one source of great guitarists all in one place.
I agree about there being many really good guitarists, many of them right here on AGF. But there is really good and there's world class. Like you say many never achieve fame or are even heard of by most. It's difficult to assess all those unknowns...because they are largely unknown.

Last edited by Nailpicker; 04-28-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 PM

I always recommend Harvey Reid. A lot of folks have never heard of him, but he is a national treasure IMO who keeps a lot of traditional and folk music alive. He is a world class, versatile guitarist (fingerstyle, flat pick, slide...) who also plays six-string banjo, mandolin and autoharp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN