The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 03:21 PM

I have a 1-11/16" HD-28 and a 1-3/4" 000-18. Both with different neck profiles. At first when I got the 000-18 I struggled a bit switching between them, but after a year or so of just playing them both a lot, I stopped noticing. They both feel like different guitars but I don't have the issues with the size difference. I guess muscle memory kicked in.

Just keep playing them (provided you like the guitars....)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I just make sure I play each one regularly so that it only takes me a minute or two to adapt when I pick up a different one.
Spot on. If you can play one spacing, with a bit of practice, you should be able to handle any variation.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:28 AM

i can play everything if string spacing at the saddle is = or > 57 mm.

for fingerstyle this is very important for me. my favourite is 1-3/4, low profile neck shape, 2-5/16 string spacing.

fingesrtyle under 56 mm for me it's impossible.

for strumming or flat picking i can play everything with any string spacing
Old 03-04-2021, 06:35 AM

It doesn't bother me at all. I'm quite comfortable switching between a skinny 'Telecaster' neck and a wider, fatter acoustic neck. I suppose after 50+ years of playing innumerable variations of guitar dimensions it simply doesn't register with me as an issue.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:35 AM

How do you easily switch between nut widths, neck sizes, string spacing, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Opposite to a lot of replies here, I found 1.75" just a tad too wide and 1.69" better but not quite perfect.
Then I bought my 1st ever Gibson and it's 1.72" is a really nice fit.
Sounds like Goldilocks and the three guitars ?

Or is that Silverlocks ?

Back when I played electrics, Gibson was my favorite brand, especially Les Pauls. Didn't know much about string spacing, but didn't care. I knew what I liked. And my acoustics had wider necks, including a 12 string, but that seemed to be normal. So I seem to be adaptable on this issue, but the 1+7/8" necks on Taylor 12s is about my upper limit.

Bruce, I still like holding a Gibson, and you might want to check your Epiphone EJ-200 nut next time you play it. My EJ-200 has the same nut width as my Gibson J-200. Given the difference in years and country of manufacture (mine is Korea, 4 inlay bridge), it may or may not not be the same for you. My Alvarez has a 1+11/16" neck, just for the record. Taylor 6 stringers have 1+3/4" nuts, but my short scale 412e-R Grand Concert seems to play narrower. - !? . . . Just me I guess.

Be well.

Don, now also with lots of silverlocks too.
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-04-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:01 PM

I try not to think too much about it. I just play whatever it is and my fingers will adjust. Play up and down any neck , the string spacing will change regardless.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:20 PM

How do you easily switch between nut widths, neck sizes, string spacing, etc?

Couple of further thoughts. I seem to be a little more adaptable than some, but it does help to run a quick practice piece when switching to a different guitar / nut width before tackling a song. I have a few one verse instrumental snippets in reserve that can qualify for this without seeming obvious. I like to pick out a short Lead Belly piece first if I switch to a 12 string. Or even a verse of "Factory Girl" as instrumental. Especially effective because I mostly pinch pick my way through that one. (I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.)

And if you are performing, try to use the same nut size if you must switch instruments. The instrumental snippet works here too.

And in any case, practice or real, I find starting with a 12 string to be an invitation to disaster. Not necessarily because of the usually wider nut width, but because if you play a few pieces on 12 string, nothing else that follows on a 6 string will sound right when you play it. If there is no real getting around it, try to end a set with the 12 string, and enjoy your break.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 03-16-2021, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

I have guitars with nut widths that vary from 1 5/8" to 1 7/8". Most of my guitars are in the range of 1 11/16" to 1 13/16". Within this range I seem to intuitively know how to adapt without noticing any difference. I do notice the extremes at 1 5/8" or 1 7/8".

I have nothing scientific to explain why shifting between different nut widths is not a problem for me, but I think it comes from a lot of years of playing a lot of guitar.

Or, maybe not...

- Glenn
Old 03-17-2021, 01:36 AM

Default How do you easily switch between nut widths, neck sizes, string spacing, etc?

I am quite lucky and For me it is not a big issue. I do not know why.

Last edited by Cri75!; 03-17-2021 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:01 AM

By and large I can switch with no problem with the exception of my Martin J12-16GT where the 16" radius is now making barre chords on the first 3 or frets more ddifficult for my retired fingers than was the case a few years ago.
When a diiferent shape (width, depth or profile of neck...) I adjust within a few minutes, although with narrower necks I have to concentrate a little harder for a few minutes if I'm doing complex finger picking.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:06 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I have several guitars with different string spacing / nut width, etc. For me it's about spending enough time with each guitar individually so that I'm perfectly comfortable with each one. Then I just make sure I play each one regularly so that it only takes me a minute or two to adapt when I pick up a different one.
+1. Same for me.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
Hi all,

This is a problem I've always had, so I'm hoping there's a way around it that I'm not seeing. I really struggle to switch between instruments that have different specs - trying to play a guitar that has a different nut width or saddle spacing than whatever my main guitar is at the time is always clumsy and difficult.

I've been mostly playing Waterloos the last year, which have a big chunky neck, a 1 3/4" nut, and a nice, wide 2 3/8" saddle spacing. It feels completely normal to me at this point, but when I try and switch to another guitar, it feels like I'm playing a toy and my fingers just don't want to do it. I could adjust with time, but then my Waterloo would feel like a baseball bat.

Additionally, I've finally forced myself to learn how to play with fingerpicks this year. It's been revelatory - but unfortunately, now that it's what I'm doing the most, I find that playing with bare fingers is difficult and awkward despite the fact that I've been doing it for the better part of 15 years.

Is it possible to be fluid between these types of things?

The Waterloo WL-14 at 1 3/4” with 2 3/8” bridge space and nice V, is just so ideal for me that........I bought two! X braced first the ladder braced. Love!

But going back a bit, in my area all guitars in the 90s were dreads with 1 11/16” nut until the Eric Clapton 000 appeared at a local guitar shop round ‘98......but it was about 10 times more than I had.

So while I have narrowed things down to the Waterloo/OM18V/CEO7 type of specs in the last few years, I have a houseful of guitars, ha ha, with all kinds of specs.

Two or three tips for ya.....first, start with the narrow when you begin to practice/play......do some scale type runs all over the neck. For fingerpicking, try capo at 3 plus.....it will give you more space across the strings though less along. Gradually change guitars to the wider ones, same runs.

BluesKing777.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Not only string spacing, but headstock shape as well. Have been working on a piece on my J-185. and the other day I thought I'd see how it sounded on my 000-15. There is a certain passage. Where I am playing a Ddim7 and my hand hits the bottom of the headstock. So I have to change the angle of my hand. Makes it kind of crowded.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:41 AM

It's absolutely possible to be fluid (or at least highly functional) between different sizes. Being a finger style player makes it quite a bit harder, but still possible.

Some guitar players double on mandolin and survive nicely on both. When they pick up the mandolin they don't think of it as a small guitar, they just think of it as a different instrument. I suggest you try the same attitude with different guitars - not a smaller neck with smaller string spacing, just a different instrument.

How did you get good on the guitar? Put in your time. That's the only way you're going to get more comfortable switching - practice switching every day.

I wouldn't expect to be as comfortable playing finger style with more narrow string spacing, but people with less skill than you have do it every day, so if that's a real goal for you I'm sure you can get there.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-17-2021, 05:51 AM

Mostly, I don't notice it (or maybe it's just not being observant). I had a classical I could not adapt to, yet I started playing on one. Sometimes I will notice it on my 12 string, more on the right hand than the left, but that usually settles down after a few measures. I owned an 1 11/16 nut guitar for over a year before I discovered that was why I was a tiny bit less accurate on it.

Necks all feel the same, other than my Duolian, which is like a war club - so I only play it with a slide.

Does this mean they are all the same? Or I am so unobservant that I can't tell? Or maybe I am very adaptable.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion