The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Does this change anything for persons looking to sell on ebay, reverb or this forum? I'm talking about people that are just selling their personal gear but they are not a business or dealer.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 AM

It levels the playing field for my local guitar shop.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:59 PM

Default Will the new online Sales Tax affect what you buy online vs at a Brick and Mortar?

Just curious as to what you all think.
G7th Capos
Old 06-21-2018, 01:01 PM

prices are going up on everything but we'll have to see how this shakes out. it might make it worthwhile to buy from brick and mortar if the online sales tax bumps it out of reach. theoretically, it should be the same rate for both. we'll see.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 PM

I'm reading about it now. Stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash already charge sales tax if there is a store in your state, so not exactly sure how this is different....

EDIT: Ah, even if there is no store in state. This is interesting. Honestly, to me, sales tax isn't the issue...it's that local dealers don't have their pricing lower to begin with, plus they refuse to honor internet pricing...my experience.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

There's already a thread about this, which was moved to here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=514470
Old 06-21-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
I'm in Oregon so it doesn't affect me either way. I can't say it has ever factored in my decisions before.

I’m not in Oregon but, rather, in Michigan but agree that sales tax has never factored into my decision either.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Not for mine.

Anyone that knows the going rate for a new Martin would be hard pressed to get such a price at my local shop. They play dumb and refuse to discount more than 10%. It really makes me mad because brick and mortar shops complain about the online market, but then refuse to work with customers on price.

I'd gladly buy a guitar locally, sales tax included, if the shop would sell for the "going rate" that can be had from forum vendors. Having said that, I get MUCH better service from the dealers on this forum.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
It’s long overdue. People making online purchases have been liable for use tax all along, but it’s impossible to police and a pain for the average joe to track. California started to build in a simple formula for calculating use tax in recent years, but I suspect it undercalculates the actual tax liability. There has always been a requirement to pay use tax. Now the burden is on sellers to collect the tax, which is much better for filers. As the CFO of my company, it’s also a hassle to track online transactions for which I owe use tax. Of course, for online retailers, it’ll mean more complications filing sales tax in all states.
I'm actually for it. At least here in Kansas we are legally obligated to pay the tax already (honor system). So I have to calculate it and pay it on my yearly income tax form. I always have the feeling I'm the only guy in the state voluntarily paying it, besides it being a record keeping chore.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Threads merged for convenience.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:48 PM

This will have no effect on my purchasing habits.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-21-2018, 02:01 PM

It will not change my buying habits since I already pay sales tax on most, if not all, online purchases. Buying online is WAY more convenient for most things, though. Heck, we now do our grocery shopping online with ClickList. Don't even have to go into the store!
Old 06-21-2018, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm all for it. It should of happened a long time ago. Seriously I'm the guy that actually pays more taxes than I need to, on purpose. We have to support our benefits somehow. When we skimp or cheat on taxes we cheat ourselves and or friends. Our taxes can do allot of good, help allot of people and save us allot of money if we invest it wisely. It's easy to demonize though and that sort of thing usually overtakes the room.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-21-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I have a small shop that also sells online and my initial thought it that it will be good for the small shops.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
So, the Supremes finally killed Quill, the ruling that had cemented the long-standing "physical presence" requirement for states to collect sales tax. This means that any state can require the collection of sales tax on any internet transaction that ends up in their borders.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth has already begun among online sellers, but I'm not so sure it's the end of the world—while our prices are pretty much the best anywhere, the folks I talk to are not motivated primarily by price.

What say you? Will an effective national internet tax drive you back to your local guitar store? Or are there other aspects of a transaction you value? Just trying to take a pulse.
Interesting ruling and yet another 4 to 5 split decision actually some reasonable points on both sides .

For me personally it is of little consequence. First I let go of my "Walmart mentality" probably 20 years ago. While we do a lot of online household purchasing (mostly Amazon prime) it is for the convenience of not having to drive to shop.

For music stuff I do support my local Brick and mortar independent guitar shop or pro audio shop as much as possible. The only time I purchase online is when something is not available locally. But at my age I am pretty much done buying guitars especially acoustic . I may get one more electric but will most likely get it locally

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic