The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-21-2018, 09:16 AM

I spent 38 years in the confection industry. Proud of my time there and still believe a little bit of chocolate everyday is an ok thing. Moderation cures all ills.

To the question of sugar, I’ve done the Whole 30 lifestyle program twice in the past 18 months. 30 days with no sugar or sugar substitutes, no alcohol, no grains and no dairy. Very extreme and i lost weight both times (though that is not the published goal of the program).

Here’s what I learned. Virtually every food sold in the center of a supermarket contains sugar in one form or another. Even items that are “organic” or otherwise indicated to be a healthier choice, contain sweeteners. It is remarkable.

My personal opinion is that US food producers are feeding us so much sugar because it’s addictive. It also tastes great.

It’s hard to avoid unless you go hard core but I really have cut down on processed sugar. No sodas, very little ice cream if any, no more sugar in my coffee, and not being fooled by Diet or Lite or Artifical sweeteners. Your body doesn’t know any better and still thinks it’s processing real sugar.

And, yes, I sold candy for almost 40 years.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I've lost weight (about 30 lbs) twice. Once on a vegetarian, raw food diet, and again following a low carb, “ketogenic” diet, when I added back eggs, fish, and turkey. Both worked well, but weren’t sustainable. The raw food diet involved a lot of prep work, and was really hard to follow when traveling. The low carb diet was much more practical for eating away from home, but I like carbs (mostly fruit). I also started trail running again, and felt I needed more carbs.
On this forum I found out about this book: Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. It was a big help transitioning to a more sustainable, for me, diet to maintain my weight loss. That, plus running and cycling, keeps my weight down, and I feel great.
As others have advised, processed foods (bread, pasta, chips, etc.), plus anything with added sugar and unhealthy fats, promote weight gain. KevWind's comments are right on. The human body didn’t evolve to need soda or sugar free processed food. Give your body real fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and organic, free range animal protein in moderate quantities, and add in regular exercise, and you will not only move to a healthy weight, but will feel so much better.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I am not what anyone would call fat but I have been dieting for several months and have lost almost 20 pounds.

This morning at 5'7" I weighed 151 lbs.

I am mostly losing weight to see if it really helps with joint arthritis.

It can just be crazy to read food labels and see calorie amounts.

Most sugar free products taste just fine to me.

And I do not believe that diet soda is worse for a person, come on, Coke Zero = no calories.

But just try buying other foods with zero or minimal calories.

Can only eat so much raw veggies and rice cakes.

Looking no further for food with zero or minimal calories. Losing weight shouldn’t be a self administered torture test. Calculate your daily caloric needs based on your metabolic rate and consume less than that amount. Increase your burn rate by doing light exercise that raise your heart rate, fill up on water and get more sleep.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Why on earth would you drink soda every day, whether diet or with sugar?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Why wouldn't I drink soda...pop everyday? (depending on where you are from)😜 I don't anymore but I used to be addicted to Dr Pepper! It took me a while to kick the habit...I would drink them all day everyday!
Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
Why wouldn't I drink soda...pop everyday? (depending on where you are from)😜 I don't anymore but I used to be addicted to Dr Pepper! It took me a while to kick the habit...I would drink them all day everyday!
There is significant scientific evidence that artificial sweeteners cause a host of metabolic issues, Type II diabetes, weight gain and heart issues. Do a google search on “impact of artificial sweeteners” and be educated.

I know we live in the 21st Century but not all food science is good food science.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Uhhh....because he likes it Im guessing.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-21-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I am not what anyone would call fat but I have been dieting for several months and have lost almost 20 pounds.
This morning at 5'7" I weighed 151 lbs.
I am mostly losing weight to see if it really helps with joint arthritis.
It can just be crazy to read food labels and see calorie amounts.
Most sugar free products taste just fine to me.
And I do not believe that diet soda is worse for a person, come on, Coke Zero = no calories.
But just try buying other foods with zero or minimal calories.
Can only eat so much raw veggies and rice cakes.
Heh, I wish!

I just found, last week, sugar free BBQ sauce.

Try looking at chili pre-mixes sometime, it's appalling. And don't get me started on pickles. Why is there sugar added to pickles in a jar?

I've never been a fan of sweet stuff or having added sugar to products. Ever tried to find spaghetti sauce with low or no suger? Good luck.

This is why I like going to Trader Joe's. They actually have a lot of food there that does not have added sugar or is sugar free and to me it tastes a thousand times better than anything else.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Uhhh....because he likes it Im guessing.
Another addiction.

Now I'm trying to get my type 2 diabetes (and weight) in check without going to too extreme medication... Keeping the uptake of sugars and other carbs in check is one part of it. Increasing exercise is another.

One theory that I've seen about the artificial (no calories) sweeteners is that your system realizes that all the stuff that you ate or drank didn't actually contain anything usable. So it starts asking for more - of anything that contains energy.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Another addiction.

Now I'm trying to get my type 2 diabetes (and weight) in check without going to too extreme medication... Keeping the uptake of sugars and other carbs in check is one part of it. Increasing exercise is another.

One theory that I've seen about the artificial (no calories) sweeteners is that your system realizes that all the stuff that you ate or drank didn't actually contain anything usable. So it starts asking for more - of anything that contains energy.
It can be for sure, but there are a lot worse as we all know.
One of the pitfalls of having the freedom to choose but it's better than the alternative IMHO.
Sorry about your diabetes and weight problems.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-22-2018, 06:13 AM

Decades ago , I began buying orange blossom honey twice a year when returning from Daytona .
This has morphed into something totally unexpected .
The only processed sugar I eat is contained in processed food/s .
I eat honey instead .
The only regular source that I have for processed sugars comes from iced tea , which I may or may not consume too much of .
Anyway , I love honey , and am willing to accept my iced tea habit .
Do what you must Riverwolf .
Old 06-23-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Sorry about your diabetes and weight problems.
Neither is uncommon. I bet a good percentage of AGF members has issues with one or both. When did you last get your sugar levels checked?
Old 06-23-2018, 01:55 PM

Artificial sweeteners send the same “sweet incoming!” signal to your brain as do natural sugars (sucrose, high-fructose corn syrup, maple, agave, honey). In response, your pancreas releases a spike of insulin to combat the expected onslaught of sugar and lowers your blood glucose a bit in preparation. When the sugar doesn’t materialize, you get hypoglycemic from the action of the insulin, which promotes the storage and inhibits the burning of fat. Sugar alcohols (those which end in “-itol”) also have a bit of a laxative effect, which will allow you to make an unintended type of “music.”

The fructose in whole fruit is absorbed more slowly because of the fiber content; maple & raw honey, while sugars, have some nutrients that mitigate the insulin spike. Even the sugars from white potatoes and refined starches (pasta, bread, white rice, etc.) have a lower glycemic impact if accompanied by protein, fat & fiber.

It’s not simply a matter of being vegan, vegetarian, or dairy-avoiding once you reach a certain age after a lifetime of gain-loss-gain cycles. Every weight loss slows your metabolism a bit more—requiring increased exercise and reduced calories & sugars just to avoid regaining. (Check out former “Greatest Loser” winners’ after-stories for this sobering truth).

Very high-fiber unprocessed starch carbs are okay in small amounts as part of a balanced diet, even “controlled” or low-carb diets. A high-carb diet is okay so long as it consists of more produce than starches. A low-carb, sensible protein & fat (i.e., moderate portion control, not Atkins-esque abandon) diet can also be heart healthy and include some low-sugar fruits. But any amount of starch, sugar or fruit will derail a ketogenic diet—one that is appropriate only for some specific ailments.

I don’t have diabetes or prediabetes, but I struggle with obesity. Had I accepted being a few pounds overweight in my 20s or even 30s, common sense eating would have worked till at least menopause. Lowered estrogen can slow metabolism. And when I got breast cancer (which can strike even vegan triathletes), I began having to take an aromatase inhibitor—which further lowers whatever residual estrogen production remains after menopause, in order to starve any remaining tumor cells of the estrogen that “fuels” them—and weight gain is a side effect.

Let me finish by saying the dietary rules are not one size fits all—and advice that works for men will not necessarily hold true for women. Our biology and evolution values survival of the species (reproduction) over survival of the organism (staying alive & healthy). It is only in the past millennium that women outlived our reproductive years; and the body requires adequate body fat to allow fertility and will do whatever it can to hold on to that fat. Mother Nature never “got the memo.”

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Honestly, I think people gain weight, or don't lose weight because their caloric intake is just too high. Eat less, lose weight. Eat more, gain weight. Simple formula.

Calories can be sneaky and people routinely under estimate their caloric intake and over estimate their caloric expenditure.

All the rest of these diets, and special foods, etc are meaningless.

That's not to say that eating man made chemicals doesn't have other health consequences, but as far as weight gain and loss, it's simply calories in must be less than calories out.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:18 AM

"Chicago Sandy" very informative post!

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic