The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-19-2018, 05:28 AM

Text, call or email. If one of these is someone's preference then I'm happy to oblige. If it's anything else, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, etc then they won't be hearing from me.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:47 AM

I've already checked my email this morning. I wont check it again until tomorrow. I get many emails meant for same day information that I read too late. Don't wait until the last day to inform people of events.
Our girls text and don't like to call, so they bought us smart phones. That's fine, we text and if something is important enough to talk we text to call ASAP to clear things up. I still prefer to hear a voice, but everyone is so busy and finds texting easier. My thought is that a 3 minute call can be more thorough than 20 minutes of texting. Face time is a nice way to chat with the grandkids on weekends or special days. I does help to know the habits of the person you want to reach. Just as some people like to read, others watch TV/movies.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:13 AM

My mom just turned 86. She would much prefer to text!

Here’s a perfect reason why. sometimes we will call her and say OK we are all meeting over at XXX house at 4 o’clock.
She will say can you just text me the time and her address so I don’t have to go find a pen and paper and write all this stuff down? And if I write all of it down now I’ll lose the piece of paper before I have to get there.

Makes perfect sense.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
THAT is the thing to me.

Without a response how would she know, some people turn off their iPhone's imessage thingy so you can tell if you read them, and one might be an android, whatever.

Making SURE you got the message was critical in this case.

To me.

Yep that’s basically the main issue. Make sure the message was received, it’s basic common courtesy.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:27 PM

Well, at least if you feel a bit offended, it would be a reason to say, Gheez, I didn't get your text. How about next time, but please call ahead so I make sure I get it.

ED
Old 06-20-2018, 04:21 AM

Yes I rarely use the mobile phone to make a call . All our family use FaceTime or Whats App that allows us to send photo for free and FaceTime to keep in touch over long distances
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM

Texting and email have not made things less personal in my life and for many I know. We happen to be on a trip visiting relatives where thousands of miles and age have meant a lot of separation. The modern technology has helped it all happen whether trip planning or easing things while together.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
I've already checked my email this morning. I wont check it again until tomorrow. I get many emails meant for same day information that I read too late. Don't wait until the last day to inform people of events.
While I understand your point, I'd think others would also have a point in saying you should check your email more than once, especially since it is so easy to do. But, hey, at least you check your email once. Some folks check it sporadically and are always out of the loop!
Old 06-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I use a text when I want to make immediate contact and my message is simple. If the communication involves emotional nuance (such as a last minute cancellation), I call. For me, email is for communication that is neither time sensitive nor particularly nuanced. Email replaces letters, in that they can be lengthy and reflective and declarative...and can be read and responded to at leisure (though it is best if a response is sent in less than 48 hours).
That's close to my take. If it is urgent, I try calling first. That gives me an immediate confirmation that the message got through - or not.

Email is usually best if I need to sort out lots of details - like planning "an event" where a group of people will be involved.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic