The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Many of us have found the same thing. And it goes way back. In the 70s I had their same version and played it all over the USA. Even then, the entry level Yamaha's were THE guitar to play.

And as above, even folks with really good guitars are tempted to pick one up as a spare, or travel axe.

Cheers
Thanks Davis - after I sent this reply, I was wondering if the Martin lovers would be giving me grief over this remark

I have an FG-310, for the record and it sounds great.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

'And as above, even folks with really good guitars are tempted to pick one up as a spare, or travel axe. ''

If Yamaha 800's were available with 1 3/4 nut, everyone on this forum would have one!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:16 AM

Guitar playing is a very personal exercise, so I can’t recommend one model over another as opposed to you and your son finding a particular one that feels right for you. A proper setup in terms of soft action at the nut is as important as finding the right instrument and that will drive the total cost up for you. I have both a FS800 and FG700S and the 800 has grown a little soft in terms of blending of the mid range and lack of string and note definition compared to my 700, the latter which has turned into a special instrument after 5 years of age: projective and sounds like a cross between a harp and a harpsichord.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:42 AM

Seems like the real decision here is choosing how many guitars to buy.

I think the answer is two. If that means you need to buy cheaper guitars, so be it. Frankly, the $75 Jasmine S35 I've owned for nearly 20 years is a totally decent guitar to get started on. With good strings it sounds like a guitar. While it's nothing fancy, it does what it needs to.

The reason I'm advocating two guitars is so you can each play at your leisure. It is an opportunity missed if you want to play and find your son is already using the guitar (and vice versa). It is an opportunity missed if you want to play but have to go track down the guitar because the son has absconded with it someplace. etc etc...

As newbies, you probably won't be able to play together for a while, but you SHOULD start doing it just as soon as you possibly can because it really helps to learn the instrument, and it's super fun.

If y'all get hooked on guitar, you'll certainly want to upgrade to nicer guitars - but for now, there is nothing wrong with a $100 (or less) guitar.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:51 AM

Additionally...

It is really important whatever you choose plays easily. That implies the guitar(s) will need a setup, which will cost $50-$100 (per guitar) if done by a professional.

Don't overlook this, because it will really, really help make learning guitar easier.

You can do the setup yourself with a little patience. I'll even loan you my nut slot files.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:17 AM

Use the search function here and you'll get BOMBARDED with recommendations for the FG800 series, take it or leave it.

One thing I'll say... you're 6'2" and he's 5'2"? If I were you I'd go FG rather than FS... consider it future proofing. I'm a fairly stunted human and I've never had problems with dreads. YMMV.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
One thing I'll say... you're 6'2" and he's 5'2"? If I were you I'd go FG rather than FS... consider it future proofing. I'm a fairly stunted human and I've never had problems with dreads. YMMV.
Most of us that have issues with dreadnoughts are either older or have a history of shoulder problems. I played D's for many years until old injuries eventually caught up with me. At this point I would choose the FS over the FG. This is a guitar you can keep and enjoy for a long time, but may not be your "lifetime" dream guitar.

My advice: get one or the other and share for now. Then save up and get the complementary model - or something entirely different - later. Used Seagull S6's are pretty nice and usually $300 or less with a hard case via Craigslist.

Last edited by Earl49; 06-04-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: fixed typos - and fired my proffeedor
Old 06-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Is the Yamaha 800 series the best at $200? That is debatable, but it is certainly a solid choice of a well made guitar.

I personally prefer the Washburn offerings at the same price points over the Yamahas. To me, the Washburn guitars have a much more comfortable neck and have a sound that my ears find more enjoyable. I have owned both Yamahas and Washburns and ended up selling the Yamahas. Both brands had the same build quality.

So, for me, the best at that price range ($200) would be a Washburn 7S series. Perhaps you could look into one, might strike your fancy as well.

They have two models. A dreadnought size and a grand auditorium size. Both have solid tops ( the "S" in the model represents a solid top). Both can be had for $199.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...n-wd7s-natural

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-natural-gloss

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 06-04-2018, 12:11 PM

I would find a way to get two guitars, even if it is a lesser guitar than the FS800, it would be good if you each had a guitar to learn and play together. Honestly at this stage, sound quality is not important as you develop your ear and your playing ability.

I would maybe go to a guitar store and hold a dreadnought to see if you or your son find them uncomfortable. I started off as a young kid on a cheap full size dreadnought and have never found them uncomfortable.

Also another cheap guitar suggestion, check out the Recording King Dirty 30’s models.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I know everyone here has read about my son (11 yo, 5'2", 140 pounds, soon to be 7th grader) and I (soon to be 51 yo) purchasing our first guitars because he has discovered a love for playing the acoustic guitar through his music teacher at school.

We started out looking at $100 or less guitars because of a lack of funds, the need to buy two guitars, and the uncertainty of sticking with the playing of the guitar. Most people basically said that it was a waste of money to look at under $100 guitars due to the lack of quality at that price point and the playing of them would be frustrating for us two newbies.

So I moved up a little in price to the $130 Epiphone PRO-1 or the $136 Yamaha F335 or the $120 Ibanez GD10. But some said that the laminate top might not give the sound we are hoping for and that if I moved up to $200 then I could get a solid top acoustic that I'd love for years to come.

I feel I'm currently at the point of either getting a pair of PRO-1 guitars, a pair of F335 guitars, a pair of GD10 guitars, one of one model and one of another of those, or one Yamaha 800 series guitar (from the hours of reading and watching it seems many feel this is the best series of guitars under $200) that we will share until we have the funds to purchase another guitar (probably at least 6 months). I really don't want to put more than $200 into one guitar.

1) Which of the five options do you feel is the best one?

2) If I go with the one Yamaha 800, do you feel the FS800 would be a nice size for both he and I to feel comfortable with just starting out?

3) Would the 800 series truly be a guitar I'd (or he'd) be happy with for many years down the road?

extra info: I'm 6'2", 195 pounds, and I think both of us would be "strummers" and not "pickers", want to purchase a new guitar, I would love to play all types of music and right now he wants to play 'Wild Thing' (which they learned in school) and anything by the Beatles

I appreciate all the time everyone has taken to give me your honest opinions. All of it has been a tremendous help!!!

TripleB
The FS size are fine for both strumming, and fingerpicking. And the 800 series would be one you could keep, for some time down the road, in my opinion. They are "everywhere", used. At least where I am. The 800 series, I mean. Seagulls/Simon & Patrick/Art & Luthrie's show up used, under $200, occasionally where I am, The Great White North. But the 800 series Yamaha's are nice, for where you're at, and what the two of you are trying to accomplish, which I think, as a parent of four, is pretty cool!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-04-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
'And as above, even folks with really good guitars are tempted to pick one up as a spare, or travel axe. ''

If Yamaha 800's were available with 1 3/4 nut, everyone on this forum would have one!
You got that right!!!!

Yamaha needs to wake up and make one. No, the L series is not the answer--got two of them and like the FG much better.

To OP: my son started playing at 11 and he loves the FG size for the sound. It fits him fine. I bought him a FS model and had to return it. It just doesn't have the sound of the FG. Nice guitar, but not as deep sounding.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

That's pretty close to being 100% true. I, for one would likely have one. I played some nice guitars today but no Yamaha's. Why: I knew the necks were too narrow.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 AM

TripleB.
Would you feel comfortable saying where you are located? It can be pretty general. If you are near me, I might be persuaded to lend you a guitar for a while to see if you like playing.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:25 PM

I truly appreciate everyone's help and honest opinions. My son and I are heading out in the morning to find our first guitar!!!

If by some miracle we are able to afford a Yamaha 800 series guitar, should I pick up an extra set of strings while I'm there or wait until I see how my son and I feel about the ones that come standard?

If I should pick up an extra set while I'm there, what brand and thickness do you recommend for an 11 and 51 year old pair of newbies? I guess it would be best if I got a brand (D'Addario/Elixir/Martin) that's readily available.

Thank you again for your help, patience, and well wishes! My son is sooooo excited!!!

TripleB
Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Default Yamaha 800 Series - My Best Option?

I’d just get a set of lights (almost certainly what comes on whatever you get), any of those brands are fine at this point. You’ll become more particular in time, for now I’d just have them in case you break a string or something. They need changing periodically anyway. If you are stretching for a better axe, assuming none break, you probably won’t need them for at least a few months though.

Don’t forget picks too. Only a couple bucks for a basic pack, maybe a mix of sizes to experiment with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion