The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Default Is it possible to route a pension check directly to an IRA as a pretax contribution?

I can start receiving a SMALL monthly pension from a job I worked decades ago. I'm wondering if there is a way to take this monthly pension payment and somehow put it into my IRA as a Pre-Tax IRA contribution.

Anyone know if that is possible?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Contributions to IRAs, both Roth and Traditional, have to come from earned income. Pensions are not considered earned income. Earned is stuff like wages, salaries, tips, etc. If you have other earned income, you may contribute to an IRA.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Contributions to IRAs, both Roth and Traditional, have to come from earned income. Pensions are not considered earned income. Earned is stuff like wages, salaries, tips, etc. If you have other earned income, you may contribute to an IRA.
Thanks! Appreciate the info.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:21 PM

I will be facing a similar situation at the end of the year. I have been told (but you should verify with your own tax advisor and pension representatives) that I can arrange to have a lump sum distribution from my pension rolled over into an existing IRA. I am not sure I want to do this, so I haven't done my double checking and due diligence, and I am still 7 months away from being eligible. So I don't know how much confidence to have in what I have been told. But it is a lead that you can follow up on.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

That's very possible, Rich... just depends on the details. A rollover is very different from new contributions and isn't taxable if done correctly. I'd research that decision thoroughly. I've seen folks take money out of pensions and roll into IRAs just because they thought they'd have more personal control. Be sure the pension doesn't offer particular benefits that you really don't want to lose.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:48 PM

I just started collecting 3 separate pensions. I had the option to take lump sum but my understanding is that the full amount would be taxable in the year you take it. By spreading out the small pension payments, not nearly as much tax impact.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I just started collecting 3 separate pensions. I had the option to take lump sum but my understanding is that the full amount would be taxable in the year you take it. By spreading out the small pension payments, not nearly as much tax impact.
Beware of inflation though.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I can start receiving a SMALL monthly pension from a job I worked decades ago. I'm wondering if there is a way to take this monthly pension payment and somehow put it into my IRA as a Pre-Tax IRA contribution.

Anyone know if that is possible?

Thanks!
What Kerbie said or simply put:
If you are receiving retirement income only and no earned income, you cannot contribute any monies to an IRA.
If you are married and your wife has "earned income", you may contribute to an IRA. There are limits to the amount you may contribute.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 03-12-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I will be facing a similar situation at the end of the year. I have been told (but you should verify with your own tax advisor and pension representatives) that I can arrange to have a lump sum distribution from my pension rolled over into an existing IRA. I am not sure I want to do this, so I haven't done my double checking and due diligence, and I am still 7 months away from being eligible. So I don't know how much confidence to have in what I have been told. But it is a lead that you can follow up on.
A pension is going to give you a monthly income for life, and may have some survivorship options as well. Not saying that's better/worse than a lump sum IRA but check out every detail before you do it.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Why not just take the pension and invest it in other ways? Put it into a tax exempt municipal bond fund and forget it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
have a lump sum distribution from my pension rolled over into an existing IRA
I did this, so it was definitely possible and beneficial in 1996.

Quote:
Why not just take the pension and invest it in other ways?
The pension is taxable, and I assume this is the reason for the OP.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM

This pension is pretty small. I talked it over with my wife and we decided to just contribute it to a worth while 3rd world charity (we personally know several and can validate the funds will be well used). For us to invest the money for ourselves would be like putting a teaspoon of sugar into a lake. To send the money to an orphanage will be like putting a teaspoon of sugar into a glass of tea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic