The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2017, 01:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Jesse Winchester: An Appreciation Thread

It's hard to believe it's been three years since Jesse Winchester left us. I was lucky enough to see him several times in concert. It was always like going to a poetry reading with the added benefit of music.

Here he is wowing Elvis Costello, Sheryl Crow, Neko Case and a whole room full of stunned listeners. A songwriter's songwriter if there ever was one:

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 07-16-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:42 AM

I never tire of watching this. A mesmerising performance.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah, that little trickle of a tear out of the corner of Neko Case's eye looks like a scripted Hollywood moment. Jesse and Steve Goodman are two heavy influences of mine. When they died I made a solemn vow that I would do what I could to keep their songs alive -- and I've kept that promise.

sm
Old 04-15-2017, 04:14 AM

Unfortunately I only discovered him after he had passed. He had a very low profile here in the UK. He has quickly become one of my favourite singer/songwriters and by all accounts was a charming and generous man.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:28 AM

Thank you for this. Jesse Winchester has been a favorite of mine since "Learn to Love It" (1974).

Greg Rappleye

Last edited by Greg Rappleye; 04-15-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Data
Old 04-15-2017, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

one of my favs,.. "even the high must lay low"

Old 04-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

....love that guy......i was lucky to enough to catch his shows at the Sisters Folk Festival some years back...he mesmerized us with his poignant tunes and highly entertaining dance moves...(video not from the festival)...

Last edited by J Patrick; 04-15-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Scott: The way you describe it "It was like going to a poetry reading with the added benefit of music" brought back a lot of fond memories. I lived in Montreal when Jesse took refuge there during the Vietnam war years. I had the pleasure of seeing him many times, mostly in small bars around town, and was fortunate enough to have some conversations with him between sets.

He was an authentic, down to earth person and, simply put, his music was magical.

Brand New Tennessee Waltz became a staple of mine when I was performing in campus coffee houses back then, and this thread just reminded me that I need to start playing it again.

With all the threads on best opening and closing lines, here's one of those lines from the middle of a song that always stuck with me:
Because love is mainly just memories, and everyone's got them a few
So when I'm gone I'll be glad to love you

Last edited by Long Road Home; 04-15-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Scott: The way you describe it "It was like going to a poetry reading with the added benefit of music" brought back a lot of fond memories. I lived in Montreal when Jesse took refuge there during the Vietnam war years. I had the pleasure of seeing him many times, mostly in small bars around town, and was fortunate enough to have some conversations with him between sets.

He was an authentic, down to earth person and, simply put, his music was magical.

Brand New Tennessee Waltz became a staple of mine when I was performing in campus coffee houses back then, and this thread just reminded me that I need to start playing it again.

With all the threads on best opening and closing lines, here's one of those lines from the middle of a song that always stuck with me:
Because love is mainly just memories, and everyone's got them a few
So when I'm gone I'll be glad to love you
Pax, wow, great to live in Montreal back then. And of course I imagine you know he was discovered by Robbie Robertson.

I recently discovered that Don Henley, of all people, did a cover of "The Brand New Tennessee Waltz" not too long ago. A good version too, if anyone's interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdS2CGmT4ks. Henley's no slouch to good songwriting, so yet another example of how Jesse's songs are so revered in the songwriting community. Again, a true songwriter's songwriter. For those of you who aspire to write songs, it would be good to spend some time in the school of Jesse Winchester.

Here's the chorus from "If Only"

Where will we run to
The blues always find you
The blues they know just where to look
Oh the blues they know you just like a book

And the opening lines of "Little Glass of Wine":

Little glass of wine, it's a good thing you are here
You're warm on my lips, as warm as a tear
A comfort to the fool who's restless in his mind
The lovers trusty potion
You little glass of wine

Some people seem incapable of writing of a bad song. Jesse was certainly one of those.

Thanks again, Pax!

scott
Old 04-15-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Pax, wow, great to live in Montreal back then. And of course I imagine you know he was discovered by Robbie Robertson.

I recently discovered that Don Henley, of all people, did a cover of "The Brand New Tennessee Waltz" not too long ago. A good version too, if anyone's interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdS2CGmT4ks. Henley's no slouch to good songwriting, so yet another example of how Jesse's songs are so revered in the songwriting community. Again, a true songwriter's songwriter.
It's a funny thing about where you grow up... I didn't really appreciate it all that much until I moved away (30+ years ago). I still visit fairly regularly to see my parents, and I'll be chaperoning my son's high school jazz ensemble to a festival there soon. I looked at the itinerary and thought, wow, I'm going to be a tourist in the town I grew up in.

I didn't know that Robbie Robertson, another of my all time faves, discovered Jesse (maybe it was on that bar stool that I was known to occupy in the little bar on Crescent St.).

I just listened to the Don Henley version, and while I like it, there was an almost plaintive quality to the way Jesse sang it that's missing (for me).
Old 04-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Jesse Winchester was, simply, one of the most elegant and understated songwriters of my era... I first heard his songs when a friend taught me "Yankee Lady" and "The Brand New Tennessee Waltz", back in the early 70's...

For a while I listened to every record he put out... and while not every song was stellar, there were always a few on each record that would light me up... kind of lost track of his stuff after "Let The Rough Side Drag"... but I know he put out a bunch of recordings after that.

The tribute album (done before Jesse passed, in order to assist with his medical expenses), "Quiet About It", is a WONDERFUL set of Jesse's tunes... and many of my favorites didn't even show up on that record! LOVE James Taylor's take of "Payday"; vastly different from the Rock and Blues version on Jesse's inaugural LP, with Robbie Robertson wailing on guitar... I highly recommend that collection, especially for anyone "new" to Jesse Winchester's brilliance.

I've always described him to people as "the Quintessential Southern Gentleman", embodying all the positive characteristics of the South... soft spoken, erudite to a fault, understated and eloquent...

I always try to play at least one of his tunes when I perform...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

My first exposure to Jesse was on the Dr Demento Radio Hour. It was "Twigs and Seeds". Arguably a novelty tune but it sent me on a a pre internet quest to learn who this guy was. Been a big fan ever since. We've lost some great ones these past few years: Guy Clark, Jesse Winchester, J. J. Cale, just to name a few. I just turned 60, I suppose more of this is in my future. Thank heavens for the new bunch coming along to keep me inspired and motivated. Just to name a few: Ryan Bingham, Jeffrey Foucault, and that kid from Whiskey Myers - Cody Something or other. Thank goodness there's good ones coming down the pike to fill the void left by the Jesses and JJ's of the world!
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 04-15-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
It's hard to believe it's been three years since Jesse Winchester left us. I was lucky enough to see him several times in concert. It was always like going to a poetry reading with the added benefit of music.

Here he is wowing Elvis Costello, Sheryl Crow, Neko Case and a whole room full of stunned listeners. A songwriter's songwriter if there ever was one:

Yes, that clip is a magic moment and I think it helped a few more people get an interest in Jesse Winchester. I'll have to say I'm one. I was aware of his first couple of albums and then he dropped off my radar.

As to the "poetry reading with the added benefit of music" statement. That's so apt about where we stand culturally now. The impact of lyric poetry is felt most often in lyrics in our time.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-15-2017, 02:34 PM

I have been a fan since his first album and now have the complete collection.
I was lucky enough to see on his first American tour after being allowed back in the country at The Roxy Theater on Sunset Blvd. in West Hollywood I believe 1975.

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 04-15-2017, 02:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Monster View Post
I have been a fan since his first album and now have the complete collection.
I was lucky enough to see on his first American tour after being allowed back in the country at The Roxy Theater on Sunset Blvd. in West Hollywood I believe 1975.
Oh my god, the Roxy! They used to do some very cool acoustic shows back in the late seventies. We saw Karla Bonoff there very early on and she was terrific. But the best was a double bill with Steve Goodman opening for John Prine, a night I will never forget. If you ever saw Goodman do "The Broken String Song" and have people falling out of their chairs from laughing so hard, it would stay with you the rest of your life. Another musical soul I deeply miss.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion