The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Now that we are retired we seem to be too busy

For 5 years my wife was the head instructor for the local Therapeutic Riding Assoc.
I worked as horse trainer, general laborer, and also worked with two very special cases involving two young boys with severe autism

And while it was extremely rewarding , honestly we both became a bit overwhelmed by the 5th year .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-22-2018, 06:32 PM

In the past I have coached youth soccer and baseball. I also was a baseball and softball umpire and soccer referee.

In the years before I retired I organized charity motorcycle rides to benefit the DAV and rode with the Patriot Guard.

I haven't been involved with anything since I retired, but since I stopped riding motorcycles and I'm probably retiring from racing at the end of the season, I'm looking into driving people, who can no longer drive themselves, to and from medical appointments. That will probably be through our local hospital.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:15 PM

Thumbs up to you all!

I am a mentor for kids in at-risk schools, giving feedback and encouragement as they complete an employment-based program. I also tutor esl students through Literacy Volunteers and have done various things with the kiddos’ school.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’ve done hockey and soccer coaching for some years when my sons were growing up, ran a Cub Scout pack. In recent years since retiring, my wife and I volunteer during the winter season at the J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island in SW Florida. We also do a bit of volunteering for the Salvation Army. In the coming years, I hope to perform at retirement homes and likely something like Meals on Wheels and/or driving folks to medical approintments.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:22 AM

As a musical minister, most of what I am paid for takes place inside a church building, but over the years I have also volunteered a good bit, including:
  • local food banks; soup kitchen; meals for children when they aren't in school
  • homeless shelter; job training and help; clothes closet
  • tutoring (English as a Second Language, music, writing, even driving lessons)
  • Habitat for Humanity - building homes for those who cannot afford them
  • entertaining - local Veterans and regular hospitals, retirement center, nursing homes
  • Mentoring youth, especially those who have gotten into legal trouble
  • Teaching guitar, to both individuals and at a music camp, where I have also taught advance Theory, songwriting, conducting, voice...
  • I have formed community Arts Councils to encourage and coordinate various visual and performing arts
  • organized and conducted three community choirs and a symphony orchestra; helped form a theater group and arranged for them to have a new building
  • volunteer with a photography club
  • assist with Meals on Wheels, and taking patients to medical appointments
  • judged for public and private high schools' literary competitions, mostly vocal (solo, trio, quartet)
  • For this Saturday, I've put together a "God Bless America" celebration at a veterans memorial park; with school gorups, elected officials, soloists and choir, a retired Army General as speaker, followed by a picnic.
  • I even put in 11+ years on the volunteer AGF Mod Squad, so yes, Kerbie, I think that counts!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:40 AM

I donate platelets every other week. I'm am very fortunate to be healthy enough to do so, and the folks that need platelets transfusions are usually very ill. I'm extremely blessed to be on the giving side rather than the receiving side.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:35 AM

Our entire band is involved in one way or another, individually or collectively, with various volunteer projects: service at the local community center, performances at nursing homes/assisted-living facilities, fundraisers for local organizations and projects, Samaritan's Purse/Operation Christmas Child (a favorite of my wife's), clothing drives/distribution, among others...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic