The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-05-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
My favorites are Ultex.73
I don’t choose a pick for value, but thanks anyway.

Ultex are too muted for my taste. And so are Blue Chips, so don’t be offended.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-05-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post

Are Pickboys glassier?
Old 07-05-2018, 03:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post

I'm wondering if acrylic might be to your liking. V-Picks and Gravity make some great ones. Have you tried them?

sm
Old 07-05-2018, 04:27 PM

I just read through this thread today, and came to this post where Jojo explains "bobo" to Scott:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
Haha. Bobo just means generic- not name brand. Like when someone in grade school wears some ugly shoes that weren’t Nikes or Adidas, they got accused of wearing Bobos.
For what it's worth, Bobo is also a family name in South Carolina, of French Huguenot derivation. I went to the Citadel in Charleston with a guy named Gus Bobo, and have subsequently run into a family with the same name up here in Alaska. They were originally from Greenville, SC, if I remember correctly.

The name originally was probably something like "Baubeauix" and got Anglicized to Bobo after a generation or two in North America. Since my mother's family was also French Huguenot, I've gotten pretty good at spotting those Anglicizations of family names.

The Gus Bobo I knew wasn't exactly a picture of male style and Savoir-faire, so maybe he's where your schoolmates got the idea!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-05-2018, 06:32 PM

Default Guitar Picks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I just read through this thread today, and came to this post where Jojo explains "bobo" to Scott:

For what it's worth, Bobo is also a family name in South Carolina, of French Huguenot derivation. I went to the Citadel in Charleston with a guy named Gus Bobo, and have subsequently run into a family with the same name up here in Alaska. They were originally from Greenville, SC, if I remember correctly.

The name originally was probably something like "Baubeauix" and got Anglicized to Bobo after a generation or two in North America. Since my mother's family was also French Huguenot, I've gotten pretty good at spotting those Anglicizations of family names.

The Gus Bobo I knew wasn't exactly a picture of male style and Savoir-faire, so maybe he's where your schoolmates got the idea!

Wade Hampton Miller

A French Bobo? Are you sure it’s not Beau Beau? Or Beaux Beaux?

Edit: I totally missed the part where you said it came from something like Baubeauix. Ha
Old 07-05-2018, 07:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
A French Bobo? Are you sure it’s not Beau Beau? Or Beaux Beaux?

Edit: I totally missed the part where you said it came from something like Baubeauix. Ha
You guys are killin' me. I'm learning everything I ever wanted to know -- and a few thing I DIDN'T want to know about the name BoBo.

Keep up the good work, gents.

sm
Old 09-01-2022, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

I've been a celluloid guy for decades. Tried everything. Nothing I like better for sound. But the things wear down and get chewed up by my not-so-gentle playing. I've tried Blue Chips and Charmed Life and others. They're OK, but expensive. Then I found Dunlop Prime Tone picks. I like them a lot. Very similar to celluloid in attack and sound. And they don't chip and wear out. At least not so far. And they're about $2 ea, so I don't need to worry about losing/missplacing the precious things.

Old 09-02-2022, 05:21 PM

Today, I received a Blue Chip TD-40. WOW! I am shocked at the difference between this and the bajillion other picks I have tried. It is so smooth off the string. I love the way it fattens up the tone of my Taylor all hog. It will likely be lost by tomorrow morning though.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:19 PM

I have not consistently used my Blue Chips until recently. And suddenly I really like them. I guess my ears adjusted. And the bevel on the picks is nice. I think mine is a TAD 35 (the thinnest they make). I am a medium heavy pick user type person most of the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion