The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-28-2020, 11:14 PM

I have both this one and the StewMac version:

http://www.guitarbuilderonline.com/n...le-sander.html

The Canadian version is every bit as good and costs about USD90, with shipping, as compared with USD188 from StewMac.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:59 AM
Charter Member

i have the stewmac tool and love it. i use it in some form or fashion on every setup it seems. i've used it outside of instrument work for things and its paid for itself over and over.

my thing is time and wear and tear on my body. as i'm getting older, i'm finding ways in every thing i do that will not result in overuse of my body. making nuts and saddles can be hard on your hands when you are trying to hold and sand them correct, without a good support jig. and it used to take me a good hour to make a saddle or nut with the rudimentary tools i was using.

with the stewmac tool, i can turn out a nut or saddle, with out overuse to my hands, in about 10 min. and, it looks good, fits dead solid flat, and if i need to take any increment off its a 2 min deal. everything about the tool is solid, it is made in italy. everything works smooth and solid. i used it tonight to make 3 saddles of different heights for a graduation guitar gift.

i've used it to shape and fine tune remove wood from some small hardwood items, i make things out of bone, hardwoods, synthetics just by marking the items, and turning them to be sanded as i need, making shapes(squares, pentagons, etc).

every now and then you can catch it on sale, can't remember how much but i think about $155.

d
Old 06-29-2020, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Post deleted

Last edited by JKMartin; 11-04-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:41 PM

I use a piece of aluminum L with UHMW tape on one face, clamped to one of my 24.25x4.5x.75 phenolic sanding surfaces. I'll post a photo later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair