The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Default 1997 Player Grade Lowden S12- SOLD

Hi All,

I just did a two for one trade so I'm a bit guitar heavy in the moment and need to make some space.

Sale price: 1500 Euro
Trade value: 1700 Euro

I'm putting my ca. 1997 Lowden S12 up for sale. I bought this about two years ago and have been playing it a lot since. The guitar is in player grade (more about that below) condition, so I got a great deal on it and have used it as my "beater" - I obviously took care of it - it is a Lowden, but I also played it outside and took it to lessons etc.

Specs:
1997 Lowden S12 - This is the smaller body shape, with a sitka spruce top and nice flamey mahogany back and sides. The 'hog is a beautify caramel colour - gorgeous! The specs are standard for Lowdens of the era - 45mm (1 3/4") nut width and 55mm 2 3/16") string spacing at the saddle.

Condition:
The headstock was cracked early in the guitar's life. This was well repaired and is totally solid. You can't see it from the front, but from the back there is a line visible. Everything lined up perfectly and you wouldn't know, if it wasn't for the cosmetic imperfection

The guitar also got a bit dry at some point in it's previous life before I adopted it. There is a small crack in the top beside the fingerboard on the treble side. See picture where I show the length of the crack with my fingers. I didn't actually notice it for a months after I bought it as I bought it during the humid part of the year here. When the humidity is above 50% it's essentially invisible. However, when the humidity falls to around 45% or lower it is visible. It hasn't moved in the two years since I've had it, so I haven't done anything about it. As part of the slight humidity damage, there must have been some fret sprout at some point, as the finish on the treble side of the fretboard is a bit chipped on some of the frets (see picture). This isn't noticable while playing, but is again cosmetic damage.

There are some divots in the frets in the first position. The frets have never been leveled, so there is plenty of material for a level when it gets to that, but at the moment playability is just fine.

Finally, there are small marks on the top here and there, but no dents or anything into the wood.

If you want more photos or to schedule a skype call to do an in hand description I'm happy to do so.

The guitar is in Switzerland. I live close to the German border, and would be happy to ship from there in order to save import difficulties and costs into any EU Country (including the UK)

Trades:
As I mentioned, I'm a bit guitar heavy, but am happy to entertain trades. Mostly interested in offerings from small shop builders and single luthiers. Generally sizes around 00-0000, not really interested dreads. 1 3/4" nut width or wider a must.

You can use the PM function here, or email me at [email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_002.jpg (208.7 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_003.jpg (189.3 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_006.jpg (117.1 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_007.jpg (171.6 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden S12 012.jpg (30.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden S12 013.jpg (18.0 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_011.jpg (212.8 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_012.jpg (213.2 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_014.jpg (208.2 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden S12 007.jpg (21.9 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden S12 003.jpg (28.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_001.jpg (144.4 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by brianlcox; 07-03-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 06-18-2020, 04:14 PM

I’m quite surprised that this Lowden has not been sold within few hours. The cracks are apparently nothing to worry about and the price is so tempting.. but I’m a lefty, otherwise it would be in my hands by now. Good luck with the sale!
Old 06-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Villamarzia, I also think that the price is reasonable. I have already received a trade offer for a Loef OM/D that is interesting, but I would prefer a straight sale, especially because a guitar I had been looking at for a little while just became much more reasonable in price. If I can raise a bit of cash it might be mine!
Old 06-19-2020, 04:12 PM

Just curious, as the Froggy Bottom has been sold: are you the lucky owner now?
Old 06-19-2020, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Just curious, as the Froggy Bottom has been sold: are you the lucky owner now?
No - I was too slow. I sent them an email last night with trade offers and asked them for their best cash price. I guess someone beat me to it. Too bad for me.

On the plus side - my wife seemed genuinely disappointed for me, so I think I'm wearing her down. I think if I find another Rosewood Froggy (my K is Mahogany) at a good price I think I might stand a chance of buying it while not needing a divorce!

I will leave my three listings up for now, but am in less of a rush to sell now.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Default bump

Two potential trade deals on the Lowden at the moment. Strangely enough, both are potential trades for early 2000s SCGC OM/PWs.

If you are interested let me know quick.

Update: Both backed out. One decided on a local rosewood Lowden and the other took an Avalon.

Last edited by brianlcox; 06-27-2020 at 11:34 PM. Reason: update on trade offers
Old 06-26-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Froggy on the way

So I thought I was too slow on the Froggy... But I got it! After the reservation mix up, when the guy who was first in line came in today he left with a different guitar so the Froggy H12 that is the cause of all this liquidation is coming home to me!

Motivated seller here - feel free to make an offer. I'm two guitars heavy and need to sell something soon.

Btw, I forgot to say in the original listing that the Lowden has an undersaddle pickup installed - I don't know what type as it's from the previous owner, but it works.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:43 PM

So glad you got the Froggy, wonderful guitar! I’m lefty otherwise your Lowden would be coming to Italy by now.. but PM me your best price for cash, maybe I can find someone who takes it.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

PM Sent!

For anyone else interested in the Lowden, I offered 1200 Euro in cash for an in person pickup. I can do 1300 Euro if I have to ship. I'm willing to make this deal for any AGF member. I've added some pictures of the repaired headstock crack because these were requested.

The guitar is also on reverb now - with 10 watchers in less than two days.
https://reverb.com/ch/item/34375126-lowden-s12-1997

Happy weekend,
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_heasdstock_001.jpg (54.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_heasdstock_002.jpg (40.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_heasdstock_003.jpg (26.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_heasdstock_004.jpg (19.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Lowden_S12_heasdstock_005.jpg (60.4 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by brianlcox; 06-27-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Shipping on Saturday

Hey All,

I'm shipping another guitar on Saturday (from Germany). I can offer anyone the 1200 Euro price that can get the money in my account by Friday.

This will save me a trip to Germany to ship it later (assuming I sell to someone in the EU). I'm willing to lose a bit of cash and save an afternoon!

If I can't ship this guitar with the Webber on Saturday then I won't offer the discount anymore (Jeez, sorry if I sound like a used car salesman...)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:23 AM

This seems like a very good deal, I'm surprised it is still available. These are excellent guitars.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Lots of action on the Lowden at the moment. It looks like one of two guys will get it. If you're interested let me know now!
Old 07-03-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Lowden is sold.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)