The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM

Default best all in one camera for picture and sound

wondering if people have an opinion (and i'm sure some of you do) of the best one piece camera for great sound and picture for youtube and other uses.
keeping it in the reasonable up to say $500 max range
Old 05-21-2018, 04:40 PM

I'm an advanced photo geek, with 50 years experience upgrading my gear, and currently have about $15,000 in Nikon's pro gear.
Nikon and Canon are neck and neck in quality, but you must pick one brand up front and stick with it because lenses and other gizmos are not brand-interchangeable.
Nikon's sensors take better (cleaner, less noisy) pics in lower light - a priority for me.
Some feel Canon has an edge for videos.

Frankly, you don't need new gear, and for $500 you don't have to limit yourself to "one-piece" cameras.
If you abandon insisting on the latest new gear $500 can buy you a very fine DSLR that can support your growing hobby for many years with interchangeable lenses and zillions of gizmos.
Buying used gear gets you much a more-capable camera for your money, but only if you know what to buy and can find it in fine condition from a reputable seller.

KEH is such a seller.
They inspect, grade, and certify every lens and body.
They even offer a 180 day warranty, and a 14-day money back return policy - pretty amazing for high tech complicated used products.

Fortunately for the used market, many of us geeks buy new gear when our old gear is still perfectly serviceable.
We simply must have the latest X, Y, or Z feature.

Attachment 8921

Since I'm on the Nikon side of the room, I recommend a Nikon D-7000 body, with a Nikkor 18 - 55 mm f3.5 to 5.6 lens.
The 7000-series is a step above Nikon's entry-level 3000-series and 5000-series bodies.

Here's a body in Excellent + condition for $399 https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-d7000...nly-black.html

Here's a lens in Excellent condition for $72 https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-18-55...-dslrs-52.html

If you can swing $100 more, the D-7100 body is a generation newer and slightly more groovy.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-d7100...nly-black.html

Last edited by Tico; 05-27-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:52 PM

Good info Tico...all even say groovy.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM

thanks Tico
it seems you are referring to a regular camera but i am looking for a video camera and i do want to keep it simple as i am not particularly techie
Old 05-22-2018, 10:36 AM

One big caveat is your request for great sound. You are never going to get great sound on a camera's audio system. A separate digital recorder is really the only way to achieve that. One problem with camera audio is level control but another is simply the ability to record the signal without peaking and distorting. Automatic levels are a hazard too.

FYI, I use a Tascam DR-60D Digital Recorder as a separate recorder, which has two channels with XLR inputs and a lot of control and flexibility. These are fairly inexpensive as well and really do sound great.

There are many video cameras capable of shooting HD 1080 video and often used cameras that are one or two generations behind the most recent model are more than adequate for most purposes (as suggested below). Lenses are another consideration both in terms of how wide or tight the zoom lens will take you and how they will do in low light (performances are often done in very low light conditions). There are many, many choices and it just takes some research depending on your needs and expectations.

I bought a used Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G3, for instance, because it had HD 1080 video and had the same lens mount as my main camera, a Panasonic GH4. I think I paid less than $100 for the DMC-G3, but my main reason for buying it was the lens mount. Very good looking video, though.

Rob
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
thanks Tico
it seems you are referring to a regular camera but i am looking for a video camera and i do want to keep it simple as i am not particularly techie
You're welcome.

The camera body I linked to does record video and sound too, but has the advantage of also being a great still camera that can accept other lenses and attachments if your interest in photography (or shooting video) grows.

Its video resolution (sharpness) is 1080p.
While not the best or latest, 1080p is still quite good for Youtube videos.

Last edited by Tico; 05-22-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:49 AM

Like Rob wrote no camera that can shoot video will have great audio quality (well maybe some several-thousand dollar professional ones).

Yes, adding an external digital audio recorder is needed if you must get high audio quality.
But then everything becomes more complicated, and some users won't like the hassle.
You have to sync the video with the audio on playback and combine them into one file.
You need to get and learn the software that does this.
(When shooting turn both the video and audio recorders on and clap hands once in front of video recorder. This is later used to sync audio and video.)

Sounds like you want to keep it simple and under $500.

Another slightly-audio-improving option (that doesn't require the hassle of a separate recorder that has to be synchronized) is plugging an external microphone into the camera.
But again it's another thing to buy and learn how to use.

Getting high quality results is never quick, simple or cheap.
Low cost gear designed for the unwashed masses is designed to fit the lowest common denominator ... like McDonald's restaurant.

Last edited by Tico; 05-22-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Tico, is this setup what we're looking for? And what would you offer this local craigslist guy assuming he's kept it in excellent condition? Thanks.

https://santafe.craigslist.org/pho/d...578405869.html
Old 05-22-2018, 12:00 PM

I would concur with gfirob. Panasonic has the best quality video for a modestly priced camera that also does good still photography.

I have tried Canon and Nikon for video, and while the still photo performance is better on both, neither can match what the Micro Four Thirds line can do with video. Plus, the MFT line is mirrorless, which can greatly reduce the size and weight.

If still images are a priority, then go Nikon/Canon. If video is a priority, go Panasonic.

I also recommend looking at the Rode VideoMic. You might be able to find an older mono version for cheap. They are small and unobtrusive and plug into the microphone input.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-22-2018, 12:06 PM

so is there no all in one video camera zoom, go pro whatever that has a good compromise of audio quality and video quality without the fisheye look?
Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post

... Since I'm on the Nikon side of the room, I recommend a Nikon D-7000 body, with a Nikkor 18 - 55 mm f3.5 to 5.6 mm ...
Tico, do you know what an equivalent-quality Canon model would be? Thanks.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 05-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
I'm sorry I don't.
Having zero experience with them so I'm just not familiar with Canon's products.
Hopefully someone from the Canon side of the aisle will chime in.

Members of the Canon & Nikon tribes can get very passionate about their brands.
On a photography forum they can make people who fight over politics, gun control, religion and abortion look like cute little kittens play-fighting.

I'd Google Canon's DSLR body product line up from around 7 years ago.
Find the model that was 2 models more expensive than the cheapest model.

When searching for DSLR bodies you should be aware of the two sensor sizes.
You should be searching for one of the DSLR bodies with the smaller sensors, which Canon calls APS-C, and Nikon calls DX.
Bodies with the larger sensor size are way more expensive, as are their required lenses ... IOW for pros and geeks with lots of money.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 PM

I am just in the market for something similar and am thinking the Zoom video recorders maybe just the thing. They have a great reputation for sound and I would prefer an all-in-one device for ease of use.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
The Canon SL1 is a great camera, has the same sensor and processing chip as bigger brothers and is somewhat smaller as well.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-22-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I'm sorry I don't.
Members of the Canon & Nikon tribes can get very passionate about their brands. On a photography forum they can make people who fight over politics, gun control, religion and abortion look like cute little kittens play-fighting.
Kinda like the Taylor & Martin tribes? I have some exposure to this, btw. Wife is a retired photojournalist, Nikon all the way. Her brother, a skilled amateur, is Canon to the bone. They have agreed not to talk about it, out of courtesy to the rest of us. And thanks for the suggestion.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification