The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
I returned the S1 for the Loudbox Mini Charge and couldn’t be happier. I was so excited to get the S1 but after using it over a couple of weeks I was disillusioned. I just couldn’t get a sound I liked out of the S1. I played with different orientations, tonematch on ... and then off. Worked the bass & trebel balance and even trotted out the Venue eq. Ultimately, I had some friends a/b the S1 against my Fender Acoustasonic 90 & the Fender won hands down. For kicks we also compared the S1 to a Behringer MPA40BT and most liked the Behringer better! So I returned the S1 and got the charge ... plugged in and ... perfect.

I know others have had good luck with the S1 and I’m glad but I couldn’t get the sound I wanted ... the closest was a nylon string Cordoba with a Fishman UST. On the other hand I’ve had no trouble with the Charge. I’d recommend auditioning them side by side to see what sounds best to your ear.
thanks! I think I will try the Charge. I Demo”d yesterday and liked it a lot. It occurred to me that maybe I should compare or try the S1 pro. But honestly the fishman mini charge sounded great.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 05-19-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I have tried the charge too. It is very cool but I didn’t test vocals and didn’t find it to be as loud as the Bose. Also can you mount the Charge on a regular mic stand?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I had the opportunity today to try the Bose S1 today and compare to a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge.

I did not personally care for the tonality of the Bose S1. I could not achieve anywhere near as natural of a sound as the Fishman LBM Charge. I was using my Martin D-18 with LR Bags Anthem PU. Superb guitar and pickup.

I did not sing through either the Fishman or the Bose. But my main focus was to achieve natural acoustic guitar tone. The Fishman LBM Charge was very impressive.

The Bose S1 Pro presented some challenges that I found awkward;

I.E. the Vol, bass and treble controls are hard to reach and its hard to see where your settings are without moving the unit to look behind it. I did not have it on a stand. That would have been easier. My needs however would mostly be using it on the floor or at chair/table height.

I felt the Fishman Charge was profoundly better sounding using my D-18. and it's cheaper with Battery than the Bose.

Sorry, I didn't make a video of the Bose. It simply didn't compel me to even record.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
bose s1 pro